SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Eh, a lackluster tape with some EQ added in mastering.

minkahed, PooreBoy, vonwegen and 5 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

One of my favorite albums. Did a straight transfer adjusting for levels. No EQ needed. So sad it wasn't released!

3. Steve Hoffman

The albums with SAN ANTONIO STROLL on it I did..

RSteven and AlmanacZinger like this.
  4. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

How was it working with the King Curtis tapes?
    I love the CD compilation you did for Razor & Tie.
    The man had too much soul.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Although the sound could be interesting, I agree, the reason for it wasn't quite defined as an improvement in the "realism" of an original release, or was it really communicated well to the public as to what the goal of multiphonic sound was offering. At least in the 5.1 era, there was a well-agreed-upon "reason" for its' benefit:
    1) 5.1 was already making headway into home stereo, why not take advantage of the improved range and soundstage
    2) Most subwoofers in common stereo useage, were not unified in their operation; this would add some commonality to implimentation (which was indeed a clear benefit to existing stereo pairs)
    3) As opposed to four speakers in a corner, this was an agreed-upon soundstage improvement, with addition of center channel replacing "hole in the middle" situations, and adding the synthisized quality of the "room" the sound was to exist in
    4) Adding one more (two more?) planes in which to "pinpoint" location identification
    5) And that's all before we even get to the industry benefits of copy-control (until the PS3), another reason to re-buy ("re-discover") albums, another potential improvement beyond the redbook CD in the ongoing argument for analog ... and, ther was SOMEthing, what was it...:idea: - OH, yes...LET'S MAKE SOME MONEY!

And yeah, I'd love Steve's impressions of that period as well. He was in the industry, and the metroplex where the industries came from...I was in the cornfields of the Midwest, maybe 45 minutes' drive from the nearest Radio Shack, and at least a half-hours' further drive from decent audio equipment withOUT a Soundesign boom-box at the front of the displays.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Do you like what Phil Spector did to the Let it Be tapes?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

I used a Dolby A 1:1, sounded great.

vonwegen, danielbravo and g.z. like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

minkahed, Derek Gee, DLeet and 12 others like this.
  9. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Yes it does.

10. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Whew...you didn’t pull any punches on this one :)

Derek Gee, uzn007 and tubesandvinyl like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Well, that's what it is. Thing will never sound great, was just mixed dull and uninvolving. Add some EQ sparkle, etc. You can do it yourself, get the first issue CD and a cheap old BSR 5 band graphic EQ. Cheaper than the LP.

12. Dr Jones

Dr Jones Forum Resident

Steve, I heard in addition to the Wings DCC disc's that got released you worked on Wings Wild Life and Wings Greatest for DCC. Why did these not come out? I assume these were good sellers (I bought all of them). They are still my go to versions of these LP's. Also, Venus and Mars sounds better than any other version, but that LP is very compressed. I assume the Master is compressed. It really needs remixed. It is amazing that the next studio LP (Speed Of Sound) has none of that compression (Best sounding Wings LP in my opinion). Best production, but not one of my favorite Wings Lp's. Thanks.

dav-here and Bern like this.
  13. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

Distortion is hideous on some of the tracks...

14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Hideously awesome.

15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Oh you sweet, innocent child.

Mugrug12 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

What year did you get your first "real" job in the business? If you don't mind, what was that position, or the scope of that job?

17. Steve Hoffman

Just boring legal issues.

vonwegen likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Radio broadcasting or record company?

19. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Hi Steve, big fan of your Buddy Holly and Mamas And The Papas discs.
    Like me, you appreciate and play drums I believe. Which drummer’s signature sounds did you particularly enjoy? For me, it’s mid 60’s Ringo and Hal Blaine.

g.z. likes this.
  20. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Ahh, good question. How about both?

21. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

Amazing album for sure - but it always bothered me that Whole Lotta Love ended up sounding nasty at the end... They kept turning up the mix as it went, and eventually overloaded the ,mix bus.
    And the raw tracks - I was sent a link to a rar file by a day-job colleague to remix. When I first heard it I thought it was his kid's band doing a cover.

You can read about it here -
    Led Zeppelin II - 1988 Technidisc CD with Different Mastering

There's a comparison vid that shows what I'm talking about... and a vid of the tracks in my mix driving VU meters...

I've listened to other stuff on II and some of it is better than others - but it really needs a remix.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  22. Sam

Sam Senior Member

No disrespect meant, but those drums on Moby Dick sure don't sound involving to me on my RL pressing. In my opinion, that song delivers some of the best drum sounds I've heard on my system, outside of the Sheffield Labs direct to disc drum record.

john lennonist likes this.
  23. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Steve, do you ever campaign for any projects or does the artists/company come to you?
    Liked the Johnny Burnette stuff you did with Kevin Gray btw.

24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

It is what it is, no remix needed. Yes, it distorts in places and has tape hiss, but on the RL pressing, it drives forward with the force of a runaway train. It's raw and loud, with a heavy bottom end. How I wish 90% of today's "modern" rock recordings sounded like it.

25. Steve Hoffman

I like Hal, Charlie Watts, Ringo, etc. The usual. I like a drummer who can keep the friggin' beat. That being said I love Keith Moon as well.

dav-here, vonwegen, Aftermath and 9 others like this.