Doctor Who 2018 S11*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fitzysbuna, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

what did people here think of the first episode of the new doctor ?

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I haven't watched it yet. I despise seeing anything like this on BBC America where they chop it all up for commercials. I'm considering the Fathom Event viewing.

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

well watched and enjoyed it ! reminded me of the classic doctor who! dark, moody, plenty of deaths on screen! I thought Jodie was great !

Al Smith likes this.
  4. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

A triumphant portrayal by Jodie Whitaker - she owned it from the get go, and I can’t wait to follow her adventures.

Great Villian with a lot of potential but a bit of a standard Monster of the Week treatment - I guess they’re focusing on frying the bigger fish fingers.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I thought it was pretty awful to be honest. It looked and felt like a low budget kids show.

Now, you may say it is a kids show, but it isn't anymore. The Dr Who fanbase is pretty wide and varied, so it's a mistake to make a kids type show as you just alienate the fans.

There is no reason why you can't make a mature sci-fi/horror type show that appeals to all ages.

The novelty casting just felt so forced and unnatural.

The BBC sells this show all over the world and so I just don't understand why they can't cast better quality actors. You need talent in a flagship show. It shouldn't be a training school for young actors.

Badly written as well. So many of the actions were not realistic. I know these things are 'genre blind' but still, no-one would do some of the things they did. A 50 year old overweight woman climbing up a tower to electrocute and alien machine? Really?

The dialogue was poor as well. Like when the young guy pushed the alien off the crane and the Doctor said to him 'you had no right to do that'? What an odd thing to say, the alien was trying to kidnap and eventually kill him, he had every right to defend himself. It made no sense. I had to watch that scene again as I couldn't believe she said it.

The CGI and outfits just looked cheap and comical as well.

They really needed to knock this opening out of the park and dazzle us but I think they have just reinforced many fan's fears of where this was going.

Cheap looking, poor dialogue and script, poor quality acting, tone all wrong.

If you look at something like Stranger Things, which shows you what you can do with a TV series with these type of themes, then this opening just looked like a low budget kids tv show from the 1980's (and not one of the good ones).

The trailer for the upcoming episodes didn't look promising either.

5/10.

Tord and zobalob like this.
  6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Seemed silly to have a thread for just one episode, so I changed the subject.

Please continue...

7. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

still running and shouting........zzz

8. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

I've watched it 3 times and it actually feels more like Torchwood than Doctor Who. I enjoyed it and a very promising start. Thought Jodie overacted in certain parts when trying to do the light moments. When she was playing it straight and being serious it was far better. Hope she settles down a bit more as the series goes on. I could comment further on a few issues but not sure if I want to give out spoilers for people that haven't seen it.

eddiel likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

FWIW I think the thread implies spoilers by definition. If you haven't seen it yet you should be reading a thread where people are asked their opinions.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Comment away! Just use the spoiler thingy under "insert" to protect the vulnerable. :)

Agree on the over acting. I figure she'll settle into the role in time.

11. It has always looked semi low budget. That's it! It's not about amazing technical specula effects. It is about the characters thank goodness.

I loved it..

Brother_Rael and Andy Smith like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

I was so happy when she didn't have her sonic screwdriver at the beginning. It's become like a magic wand, and has become a lazy tool for the writers, and thought it was a shame when she built a new one out of a pile of junk. I'm wondering how the TARDIS will find her, and if they're going to try for a more Pertwee style of Doctor without zinging around space and time.

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I thought the episode was a good introduction to the new Doctor and her companions.

It was not too over complicated and very approachable to new viewers. Had a nice pace. The camera work was superb and the effects worked well (served their purpose). I appreciated the toned down incidental music.

I was disappointed BBC America cut the end credits so we could not hear the new version of theme (thank you You Tube!).

I'm looking forward to the next episode. I'm wondering if we are heading towards an early William Hartnell era nod where the companions are not willing travelers and want to get back home.

Looking forward to next week.

14. Todd Fredericks

Exactly. This is Doctor Who and it works. I loved it too. :)

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Makes one wonder when her first gravel quarry will appear.

The Killer, royzak2000 and Al Smith like this.
  16. I watched on regular cable TV.
    There was some good and some bad. A few things make me worry about the direction the show seems to be heading...time will tell.
    I hope they QUICKLY get past all the"your a woman" references and simply move towards, "I'm the Doctor"...We know already, now stop making it a thing.

I will give it some time and see for myself where the show goes. If I like what they do I will watch and if not I will find other things to do.
    My likes and dislikes have nothing to do with The Doctor being a woman or man, and everything to do with the social commentary they choose and how they go about pushing that agenda.
    The crappy effects....have always been crappy. To me this is part of the charm of Doctor Who.
    The so-so acting...has also been part of the charm of Doctor Who.
    The man, woman thing is for you to decide. While I find it does not bother me, I also think the change was unnecessary to continue with good story telling.

17. Todd Fredericks

I'm looking forward to that too! :)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

My favorite line from the Red Nose Day parody The Curse of the Fatal Death "All those endless gravel quarries..."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    andybeau and Todd Fredericks like this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's simply not true. It's how you film a script and what decisions you make. When the BBC was not giving it much money it did look awful, in the 80's, but there are many episodes in the Ecclestone and Tennant runs that looked really good and clearly had money spent on them. And if you can't afford to do certain things then you think of a way to film it that looks good but doesn't cost much. It's basic film making. There is no reason one of the flagship BBC shows needs to look like one of those BBC pilot shows.

Tord and zobalob like this.
  20. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

It was only referenced twice, three times if you count the title, in a 65 minute episode (“Why are you calling me madam?”, and “It’s a long time since I bought women’s clothes”) not exactly making it a thing.

EwaWoowa and Al Smith like this.
  21. Time will tell.

22. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Just your typical post-regeneration story - nothing more, nothing less. I don't mean that to sound bad, but I really don't think we can judge the new format just yet.

A lot of frantic stuff from the new Doctor - which is kinda typical of a regeneration story. It must be something about that post-regeneration fizz, how the Doctor is always a bit manic. That makes it kinda hard to judge, especially when you have all the back-story of the new companions crammed-in as well - there's not much room for anything else.

I'm really looking forward to the next 3 or 4 episodes.. once the companions get used to travelling in the TARDIS, and Jodie has a bit more room to put her stamp on the Doctor, THEN I think we can assess this. So far, so good though - it was fun to watch, and I think she'll do ok.

Mind you, I wasn't one of those outraged fans when Jodie was announced. As I'm concerned if chromosomes are re-written in regeneration, then why not gender chromosomes sometimes?

jonj, DeadParrot and eddiel like this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I just watched this last night on the TiVo. For something that's supposed to be a global simulcast, BBC America aired an awful lot of commercials. Then they dropped the end credits for a promo? Da funk?

I can imagine this is going to be an issue this season what with the extended episodes.

24. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Disappointing and dull. Her performance was forced and lacked presence.

Needs to improve quickly.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya know, I was just thinking about all the new medical shows lately, where people run into Emergency Rooms shouting, "I need help!", and the woman rushes up and says, "I'm a doctor.", and NOBODY EVER looks at them funny and says "But you're a woman!"

Sad to see it happening with rebellion starfighters and ghostbusters, just pathetic it should also happen because apparently "you can't be a 'Time Lord', if you're a 'Time Lady'"?

Not low-budget show...low-budget controversy.

eddiel and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.