Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Gotta say, I find the opposite. I've not been on the forum for too long, just over a year, but within that time I've swapped messages with many people whose views couldn't be any more different to my own but, with a very few exceptions, it has stayed polite and pleasant.

Occasionally, someone will let their enthusiasm for a particular band or style boil over and post something relatively aggressive or forceful but things usually settle down quickly and in truth I'm not going to knock anybody for their passion.

Really sorry, Sondek, that you've had a less than positive experience here.

Jarleboy and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Hey. At last I'm in the majority.

carlwm likes this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Damn. I now realise that I've now heard of him so I'm no longer in the majority. Damn.

Jarleboy, PRW94 and carlwm like this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

In the event one perspective isn't given the same level of attention, you can always shift gears and find another interest which is given proper representation at that time.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Thanks due in part to Cologuard screening tests,only available with a prescription. Now even semi-colons can be detected early and possibly be made cancer free.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

I've seen what the others are talking about. Trolling, obnoxiousness etc. There's plenty of that here. I've seen the admin close down threads. I don't see why people can't discuss like adults.

Jarleboy, Grant, Sondek and 1 other person like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Do you think it's prevalent though?

Compared to other forums, it seems mostly civilized here, to me at least.

8. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Well, no...I like standards, classical, opera, jazz, big bands, blues, bluegrass, folk, and yes, some rock....but much of what I see here still speaks to me.

Plus, Beatles.

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I only listen to Tiësto ironically.

10. Putnam39

Putnam39 Well-Known Member

There are so many threads and so much activity here I’d think there’s something for everyone. If it doesn’t look like it start a thread about music and see what happens.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

From what I have seen on here the musical tastes and variety are far flung, wide and varied.
    Sure there is a Beatles crowd, and a monkeys crowd, Who, Floyd Zeppelin etc .... but there is an awful lot more than that.
    You must also remember that people tend to be cliquish and so will generally group together.
    There isn't much musically that isn't represented, and if it isn't, that's where you come in ... get it up for people to look at.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd be willing to bet, most of the frustration with most of the other members here who are not "you", probably comes from returning to the board over and over, and those same threads you don't care about, are still being discussed. It's a natural ego blow to see more interest in something you think is pointless and boring.

:idea: Hey - I know! Let's get the Gorts to separate out the...:ignore:

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This forum should remove all threads and topics I don't like.

Fivebyfive, carlwm, Zeki and 5 others like this.
  14. I agree with you. I too have not had any major or even minor issues. Music is not about right or wrong. Its just about personal likes or dislikes. its about personal preferences. No big deal. xx

carlwm, If I Can Dream_23 and ronm like this.
  15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

It's actually an amazing place and probably representative of taste as a whole. The Beatles, Zep, and other usual suspects get lots of attention. Reflecting commercial radio of my era. These are the pop of the day really. But, in here there is an amazing amount of variety. Just not as many people care. Very similar to pop of any day, 50s or 2018, there is the pop and many other artists in obscurity trying to break through. I love it in here. This is a fun place to be besides the audio equipment forum which i find oppressive and dictatorish. But the rest of these forums are awesome. Tons of wonderful discussions on music, tv and movies.

I think it unconsiously reflects this time period too. People getting older saying it ain't what it used to be, get off my lawn you rappin' kids. And then tons of cool discussions on stuff i never heard of that seems cool and i check out. The interesting thing about, now, is all music is, present. The past is now. You Tube gives songs from the 20s the same exposure as the newest pop tart.

There are lots and lots of real obsessive music lovers who are looking deeper in here. Who can't help themselves. Just like me. So, yea, this place reflects me and many other points of view. Most people stick with what they grew up with others can't help but look obsessively for that cool thing they never heard putting heroin addicts to shame in our quest for a new fix.

We all dig what we dig. As was said by Lux...

talkingleaf, melstapler and steviebee like this.
  16. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Post it .... and they will come.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

How do you listen to music ironically?

You listen to something and don't really mean to be listening to it?

What?

Jarleboy and dkmonroe like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You listen to it but deep down you understand that it's beneath you or something.

Jarleboy, Blank Frank and Ginger Ale like this.
  19. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Me either, but I sure hope it's painful.

:biglaugh:

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I like to think that my perspective is exploratory, always looking for the next sound to get excited about. I can listen to Death Metal, Piano Trios, Delta Blues, Modern Classical, Out Jazz, Scandinavian Folk, Afrobeat and ABBA all in the same day and enjoy every minute. While no one shares my EXACT perspective (and why would they?), there are those who also like seemingly disparate genres of music while remaining open to something new.

Jarleboy, carlwm and steviebee like this.
  21. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

This explains Billy Idol.

steviebee, Ginger Ale and dkmonroe like this.
  22. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

When you read the original lines in the voice of Charles Emerson Winchester III they make eminent sense. Ah-em, Pieeeeeerrrce...

Jarleboy and Blank Frank like this.
  23. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Sometimes, but there are many here who like "my" kinda music.. I've also "discovered" handfuls of songs on here thanks to you all. Maybe create a topic steering a discussion to find things you like? I noticed I like sad songs from the 70s, and found a lot of like-minded conversations and songs I never heard before!

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Sometimes I find the topics a bit frustrating, but where else are you going to find the level of discussion about actual mastering, pressings, cutting source, etc. that you find here? Although I have to admit that the people interested in the nitty gritty of cutting sources and such for vinyl seems to be declining. More discussions about sound quality in general seems to prevail. But still, don’t know of any other forum where source material for issues is discussed at all and that keeps me here.

steviebee and MortSahlFan like this.
  25. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

Interesting thread...

I think that the major demographic on the list is from a time when music was a bit more central to their day-day existence. If you look at the rant I did on the End of the music biz... ad I feel fine it makes sense. Sort of like the Rush tune Subdivisions states:

"
    Some will sell their dreams for small desires
    Or lose the race to rats
    Get caught in ticking traps
    And start to dream of somewhere
    To relax their restless flight
    Somewhere out of a memory
    Of lighted streets on quiet nights"

Just this past weekend I was looking for some actual footage of Freddie Gruber - one of the 40's and 50's top drummers - anyone know of any vid of him at a kit actually playing let me know please.

I worked in studios for years - did lots of live sound. Worked with everything from 2 Live Crew to Ramsey Lewis.
    During that time I have to say I began hating music. But again, I never really listened to it for pleasure - more as a musician and engineer.

So I've always been a bit jaded to most popular "genres" . My teenage kids listen to a lot music - all types.. The chide me for being a bit of a snob -

and rightly so. Back to the Freddie Gruber thing - this is the only video of him playing any type of "song"

Yea - one of the formost jazz drummers of the mid-1900's playing rap with ice cream scoops - but man just watch him go:

And watch how he cues the one guy on the part for the upbeats. And how he cops that one rap fill afterwards.

This is a guy that loved music. Kinda like zappa's audition of George Duke - I'll post that vid next...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    MortSahlFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.