Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

songs for judy, eh? innarresting title.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I'm guessing it's a reference to Judy Garland and his story about her asking "how's the business, Neil?" from the 1976 Joel Bernstein tapes.

bonus, ExHead, qtrules and 1 other person like this.
  3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Hanlon writes that most of recordings come from the original audio cassettes recorded by Joel Bernstein in the hall. I had read instead in an interview that the cassettes were from the soundboard. In A Visit to The Archives actually many reels from these concerts were shown, unless the original audio cassettes were later transferred on tape. So it seems that most of the fall tour wasn't multitracked, although the tapes in circulation from Chicago and Boston shows are excellent quality.

bonus and YoungMark like this.
  4. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

"In the hall" doesn't necessarily eliminate the possibility he's still referring to soundboard. He just didn't use that word. Can't imagine they'll use an audience recording for the release, but maybe. It's interesting the post is dated from August which hopefully means the production process is well underway for this release. Which will come first, Songs for Judy or Alchemy?

Heart of Gold likes this.
  5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Unless they plan to slip Alchemy out in the next month or so, Songs For Judy should show up on November 20th when (if) subscriptions begin.

6. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Will this be a Performace Series or a Special Release Series volume? There are three currently unused numbers between PS05 (Roxy) and PS09 (Treasure). I guess Judy may be a PS06 if Odeon-Budokan is SRS.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Can't take your posts seriously with that ridiculous Avatar.

8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

:laugh: Is it Cliff Richard?

9. Bdbrown19

Bdbrown19 Active Member

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I believe his avatar is Neil from the Human Highway film.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  10. John Harchar

Yep about 24 minutes in ✌️

footlooseman likes this.
  11. polk

polk Forum Resident

People don't always speak precisely. It could be that when he said "came from," he was just referring to where they originated in most people's minds. Maybe that's a stretch, but it wouldn't be the first time reality and a literal interpretation of a communication from the Neil camp did not match up.

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Says the guy with the great grandpa receiver. :)

Carl Steward likes this.
  13. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Sorry, I forgot that I'm on a very serious forum.

Toddarino, qtrules, raphph and 7 others like this.
  14. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Greatest avatar going around love it. Omg that crazy movie.

15. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

On the Horse (referencing Cortez in Rotterdam 2001):

"When I hear the big guy play like this, with everything that he has inside of him, and pours it out...and I see the feeling ooze...it just freakin soothes my soul..and pushes everything in my soul to the side..because I know where he and we all went..every night felt and meant something...passion...that’s what it’s all about...not posing..."

On POTR:

"Neil skates with these guys....it's easier for him...he doesn't get cosmic".

Personally I think he hits the nail on the head.

That's not to say POTR aren't an entertaining band in their own right, but specifically as an electric band for Neil, Crazy Horse are more exciting, more intense. As demonstrated by the Warfield webcast in May. More Blood, Less Tracks.

16. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Didn’t Neil say that three Archives releases were coming in 2018? So hopefully both...although he might consider the Paradox soundtrack an Archives release since it is labeled SRS 10.

mestreech likes this.
  17. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Warfield???

footlooseman likes this.
  18. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

He'd better hurry up then.

19. RoyalPineapple

*Warnors!

20. RoyalPineapple

This concert film needs a re-release. Just listen to the guitar playing; every haunting solo building on the intensity of the last. Absolutely magical.

This is the passion Ralph is talking about.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    ghostdwg, Chris M, lambfan68 and 4 others like this.
  21. John Harchar

Maybe they just added these today or I just noticed them today: in the timeline towards the bottom, there are a bunch of little Shakey Pictures icons under certain dates and most of them include videos. They have Birds from the June 2 Fillmore East CSNY show, as well as Neil's trip to a bootleg store. So things are being added.

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

both of which were on the Archives dvd/blu-ray, IIRC. two things that I dug but could never remember where to find!

footlooseman likes this.
  23. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

haha, I love that video of him at the pressing plant. It is basically him taking a tour with the plant manager explaining how big of a pain in the ass it is for them to print harvest, with the textured cover and the "low stability" "not really printable" paper.
    Neil: "How long do these plates last"
    Guy: "20,000 pages"
    Neil: "How long do these usually last"
    guy: "150,000 pages"
    Neil's response: "That's incredible. Paper looks real nice though"

Neil's thoughts: "I wonder if they have any worse paper! I should make a self destructing album!"

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. John Harchar

Now they make it easy! :agree:

JoeRockhead likes this.
  25. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

One More Sign: Documents. There ' s an update to Archives Vol. . 1, with all the recording dates for the 1966-1967 Buffalo Demos.

footlooseman and RoyalPineapple like this.