David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@footprintsinthesand Im just inspecting my official boxsets, the first boxset is couple millemeters higher than the others and 2nd/3rd are equal.
    Nothing dramatic really, I can post some pic if you want?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Thanks, I'll take your word. The video lineup just looked off.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have all three sitting on my desk - something is seriously wrong with the picture you posted.

4. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

ok I am old school and like to walk into a record store to purchase
    problem, not many left. there is a great one in LA called Ameoba Records
    I usually wait and buy there

But, I am in NYC for 3 weeks.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a record store here in Manhattan that might
    have this to walk in and pick up on friday?

thanks

5. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I bought up all the counterfeits at a record shop in Shanghai (equivlent of £10 each). The boxes are all the same height.

I suppose it comes down to who was doing the counterfeiting? The quaility is variable. The Five Years and ANCIANT boxes are are pucker; Who Can I Be Now not so great, booklets look a little ropey (like colour photocopies from an old machine) and the discs are obvious CDRs (silvery).

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Perhaps the guy put his ANCIANT through the wash.

ejluther likes this.
  7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I inadvertently bought a counterfeit copy of WCIBN via eBay for way too much (stupid me, the opening bid price was already $80, so I assumed it wasn't a counterfeit...). Discs are silver. The booklet looks good - I would not have known the set is fake. The giveaway is the spine of Live Nassau '76, which says... Diamond Dogs.

8. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

Amoeba

Academy Records

Not a native of the city, but have visited this store, and was decent.

If you are near Boston for a while try Newbury Comics.

9. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

thanks i'll be in LA in 2 weeks, so I'll just do it there if need be
    but i want it now lol

10. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Amazon order showed that I won't get this until late next week. I cancelled. Would rather pay a little more locally and buy it in a shop on release day. Amazon didn't offer an AutoRip either, so that's manual either way. Annoying that Amazon quit trying for release date shipping altogether. They have been showing up 5 days after release.

Cat People and Dreaddazzman like this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Amazon US? I used Amazon UK, and while it hasn't shipped, it's showing delivery for Friday.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Saw recently they make more money selling data than products. Cancelled orders is still money in the bank.

13. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

AutoRip was offered a couple of weeks after the release of the previous box-sets.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  14. Adam Bosman

Yeah, I ended up getting those email notifications a week after I had ripped them. They'll probably do the same for this set, but it's 2018 so I expect instant gratification for everything I want! :shrug:

15. Adam Bosman

Yeah, Amazon US. I only pre-ordered a few days ago, so it could be that I'm late in line...but if the local record store has it for $10 more than it's not a big deal. In fact; I'm not sure I want to wait even a day...very excited for this set!

Vaughan likes this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Before you complain too much, spare a thought for us on the other side of the Pacific.

Audio rips, $10 more to buy local!! These are just dreams here in Australia where the CD box set is (converting AUD to USD) $160 USD, the LP's are, a whopping, $380 USD and no audio rips.... ever (hell, they don't even offer free postage)!

David Bowie: Loving The Alien (1983–1988) (Limited Superdeluxe Box Set)
    David Bowie: Loving The Alien (1983–1988) (Limited Superdeluxe Vinyl Box Set)

Adam Bosman and TonyCzar like this.
  17. Adam Bosman

I have shipped/sold things enough to Australia that I legit feel bad for you guys. I would have no problem buying a set and shipping it to you, but I think the shipping costs are still astronomical! I'm living in a city (Minneapolis) with like 5 records stores within a 30 mile radius. I understand how lucky I am!

scobb and TonyCzar like this.
  18. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I saw someone had an unboxing on Instagram. I wondered if they got the set for free because they also linked to the indie record stores to order it. If so, i’d like that gig!

Got shipping notice for Pop Market today by UPS. If it comes Friday, i hope it’s before the wife gets home...

Ken.e. likes this.
  19. Cancelled my pre-order a couple of days ago. I have 'Let's Dance' the album and also the majority of the worthy tracks from the other albums in this box on various compilations so I figure I can wait a bit and see what is said about it first.

20. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

That US $540 for the two sets converts to AUD$766. Rough Trade in the UK might be an option - current cost (GB319.98) converts to AUD$599. Plus shipping.

The local Warner site offers the two for AUD$700.

Search Results – Warner Music Australia Store

Also locally Discrepancy Records offers the two for AUD$600.

Buy from thousands of LP vinyl records for sale in stock in Melbourne AU with fast & free delivery

scobb likes this.
  21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

One story I heard was that John Foxx tutored him a bit on synth sounds when they met in person (I have no documented reference). Foxx became relatively more obscure than Numan, career-wise, as time went on I think, although I don't have any comparative sales figures for records or concert tickets.

Runicen and BlueSpeedway like this.
  22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I was making a point about how lucky the US is rather than suggesting I haven't found ways around the Australian extortion racket.

Thank you for you suggestions, however, I have found a loop hole at Amazon au. They are shipping the lp set directly from US Amazon, I became a prime member (trial) and it was just shy of of $330 AUD (including GST) delivered (when I ordered).

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07FPP5R6R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to wait to get the CD set when JB Hi Fi have one if their 20% off CD/LP's days so "should" be paying around $500 AUD for the 2 sets.

I hate Amazon for stopping us ordering from the UK but because they do sell some items directly from the US they can be cheaper.

cmcintyre and TonyCzar like this.
  23. Slave2chaos

Slave2chaos Well-Known Member

I just received my tracking number from Amazon US

24. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Good for you. Mine should be coming too then. Let’s hope the AutoRip will be included on Friday.

CBackley and Slave2chaos like this.
  25. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

You're welcome - realising you were making a point, I thought it might be useful to outline a few less expensive options for others to explore should they wish.

That's really interesting, because when it first became available for pre-order, that wasn't possible. Wasn't on the Australian Amazon site. A great option for the Lp set, though I notice the CD version is AUD $211 on Amazon Australia.

scobb likes this.