Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Doesn't it seem odd to introduce a new, major, continuing character near the end of the season?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Peter Gould is acting as the primary show-runner now, so he will be the one most responsible for proving all of our predictions wrong.

Vince Gilligan reduced his involvement this year to focus on developing some future projects. He is still in the picture (he directed an episode, after all), but he is not running the writers room.

enro99 and EVOLVIST like this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Do you mean Saul Goodman? :laugh:

Assuming you mean Lalo Salamanca, I am sure he will have a big part to play next season, and he dovetails into Saul's mention of Ignacio and Lalo in Breaking Bad.

LivingForever and Hot Ptah like this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

5. Ken_McAlinden

I have a friend who is an emergency room psychiatrist who recounted a similar situation to me once. No clean landing on both feet, though.

6. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

I've been up in these ceilings, too, running some wire for my father. It's pretty cramped and you have to be careful.

I'm just saying that he trusted the support very quickly, having never been up there, as well as I don't see a person standing straight up in such a small space. But hey, it's a TV show. *shrug* :)

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought the same. Her facial expressions during his testimony went from feigned support to genuine admiration. Her expressions in the hallway afterwards indicated her disappointment. This was, perhaps, her finest acting in the show. And Jimmie has had enough of the hypocracy and dishonesty ("not sincere enough"). He has finally broken bad.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

A drop ceiling is just for looks. With strength you find a support. Hang on and crawl through a few feet.

9. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I actually could never see that happening. That would actually be totally out of character for Mike. Sure, Mike liked Werner, but he was upfront and clear as day with Werner as to the situation at hand. Werner, unfortunately, ignored or disregarded Mike's explicit warnings.

Mike killing Gus would have nothing to do with strategy or the long-term. What did Gus propose that was actually wrong in this underworld code of conduct? Why should he kill Gus -- What would that get him? What's the end result in that?

It would be based on emotion and then what? He's on the run for the rest of his short life with no cash and his daughter in law and grand-daughter in constant danger?

Mike hated the fact that Werner had to be killed because he actually liked the guy and knew he had no real malicious intent, but considering what Werner did within Gus' expected "behavioral code," Mike knew Gus wasn't wrong.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I got the sense that while the initial phones he sold from inside the store were from the cell phone store's own stock, and then he also went down late at night and bought another cache of phones to do his first run of late night sales, the huge purchase (presumably using the $5,000 of Chuck money he picked up from Howard) of cell phones that were delivered in a truck were purchased by Jimmy direct from a wholesaler. I don't think Jimmy would have had any ability to actual order stock for the store he was working at, even if he was, by virtue of being alone in the store, essentially his own "shift manager."

LivingForever likes this.
  11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Not really, for a show whose seasons are only ten episodes long. I'm glad that the show has never gone overboard in crafting gimmicky season finales. Sure, they put some amount of planning into giving each season the ending they want. But the show is so tight and punchy that I never sense they're stretching anything out or rushing through anything.

12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I just extrapolated from the mention of his getting a sales award that he was "selling" all those phones to himself through the store and collecting commission.

Hot Ptah and RayS like this.
  13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The Lalo ceiling thing is probably a stretch to some degree, but I don't think it was even as heinous as the Fring's face thing in BB (which I don't even find to be a huge issue).

But I still maintain the more curious thing about Lalo is how extreme he has acted in what appears to be almost literally like "Day One" of his surveillance/fact finding concerning Fring and his associates. He murdered a guy, chased after one of Fring's guys through town and through a parking lot (and also crashed into the Cherry Icee guy), and gave himself away even more by contacting Werner when he knew Mike had to be hot on Werner's tail.

Seems like an epic and very hasty escalation both in terms of raising the ire of Fring, and also creating too many opportunities to raise the suspicions of cops, etc.

I'm even fine with this, as long as the writing allows for plausibility as far as how Lalo continues forward in the next season. We know he isn't going to end Fring's operation, we know he isn't going to kill Fring or Mike. So I'm curious to see how his quick series of very public crimes and antagonism of Fring's operation are de-escalated. Will he actually flip on Salamanca and work with Fring? Pretty unlikely I have to assume. Will Lalo learn about Nacho working with Fring? Quite possibly. Will Lalo end up killing Nacho? I dunno. By the time of "Breaking Bad", if we assume Lalo is still alive and still part of the Salamanca operation, one would presume they've reached the sort of stasis/situation we see in BB.

I finally went back and grabbed the actual quotes from Saul's first BB episode. It implies both Nacho (Ignacio) and Lalo are still alive as of that point in Season 2 of BB (though I suppose it leaves open the possibility that Nacho isn't alive):

Jess and Walt abduct Saul and the lawyer is worried that this is the end for him. "No, it wasn't me. It was Ignacio. He's the one," Saul pleads before switching over to Spanish. When Jesse orders him to speak in English, Saul asks, "Lalo didn't send you?" And when Jesse says no, an extremely relieved Saul replied, "Oh, thank god."

However, in Season 4 of BB, Fring taunts Hector Salamanca, telling him that the entire Salamanca family apart from him (Hector) is dead. I'm not sure if this firmly means Lalo is killed "off screen" between Season 2 and 4 of BB. I'm sure there are ways around it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    mr. steak likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought the acting in this episode was the best of this season. The sequence with the karaoke was well done, and the episode only got better. They ended a somewhat "off" season very well. Everyone wondering when Jimmy became Saul can now be satisfied. Just one line of dialogue.

Hot Ptah and wavethatflag like this.
  15. wavethatflag

After episode 9 I was complaining, "geez, make him Saul and end it already," so I got my wish.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Hard to say. I just assumed that he was selling enough to get the award, mostly off screen. I'm pretty sure that large truck load of phones was ordered by Jimmy direct. I don't think he would be able to purchase $5,000 worth of disposable cell phones for a cell phone store. Even if he immediately purchased them all himself, that would raise some flags (even with an apparently relatively hands-off "boss" that is off site). Perhaps *especially* if the store ordered a truck load of phones and then sold them all immediately.

They showed Jimmy getting the 5k check from Howard, then showed him signing for a delivery of phones from some sort of wholesaler, and taking the delivery at the salon.

Jimmy having $23K isn't too far fetched. If he sold $5K worth of phones at a significant mark-up (and especially if wasn't declaring the income or declaring sales tax and all of that as he told the copy), that could easily account for some or most or all of that $23K. He also worked a job for nearly a full year and presumably has little in the way of bills; he may not even be splitting the rent with the now presumably relatively well-to-do Kim.

$23K would be a huge chunk of change even if Jimmy had stowed away his legit income and his phone resale money, but he could swing it I would guess. I'm assuming the show doesn't want us to think *too* much about it. Money hasn't been a big issue for Jimmy since the early part of Season 1.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Am I missing something or is $23,000 a very cheap price for a reading room?

LivingForever and wavethatflag like this.
  18. wavethatflag

Maybe not for Albuquerque in the 90s, or whenever BCS takes place.

They should work Violet shoplifting into a scene before it's over.

19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The show is currently in the year 2004 as I recall. It began in 2002, and of course a couple episodes back they did a huge time jump from early-mid 2003.

I dunno if $23K is cheap for a reading room. It would depend on the extent of the donation/sponsorship. Was it just mostly "naming rights", or were all of the contents purchased as well?

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

...and yet he still drives a sad, beat up Suzuki Esteem that can't even be relied upon to start every time.

I find it interesting that Gilligan likes to use cars almost as characters in his shows, from Walt's Pontiac Aztek, the Esteem, Kim's green Mitsubishi Eclipse, Ernesto's blue Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII, to Nacho's AMX.

Tim S, genesim and EVOLVIST like this.
  21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Chuck had a nice voice. Loved that part. It showed a warmth that has been sadly lacking.

Hot Ptah, turnersmemo and mmars982 like this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Do not forget the "KEN WINS" BMW. :laugh:

misterdecibel and Tim S like this.
  23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Lalo's vintage Monte Carlo is nice too - Tuco drove a slightly newer one in BB. The Salamancas are Chevy fans, the cousins drove a 67 Impala, and Hector drove this awesome '60 Impala - that was a factory color called Suntan Copper:

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST and misterdecibel like this.
  24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I can't even really explain why, but they chose the perfect car for Mike

[​IMG]

25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

At this point, Mike is probably still paying for his daughter in law's new house. I think the grandaughter's college fund comes later; after the lab is up and running and big bucks really start co.ing in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.