Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I pulled my quote directly from the RSD site. It says “previously unreleased mono mixes...as featured on the original LP”.

RSDBF '18 Special Release: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Burning of the Midnight Lamp Mono EP

2. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Err, kind of like feedback and distorted guitars.

pablorkcz likes this.
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

As noted above, they have apparently changed it to "rare".

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Well, about $80k worth of pro-audio gear from ultrasonic cleaners to one of the best ADCs that money can buy will tell your ears different. ;)

I don't own all of this (not even a fraction), but I would put this process of extracting vinyl to digital up against anything done before, including the Robert Johnson drops, and Steven Wilson's great drops that come his deluxe sets.

Meh, anyway, there are distortions in every bit of audio that we listen to, even if we are listening to the master tapes, as no transducer is perfect. Audiophiles just try to get as far from distortions as possible. It doesn't work...but we try. :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Somehow my original post was deleted. Is there a price/shipping thread for this release?

6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

None taken but this is neither random or a tangent.

Simply asking why you conclude to the needledrops not being true mono, iyo.

And the Classic set is simply stating what was presented, which of course begs the question ……… are Traffic and Eyes fold downs on either the original Reprise pressings or on the Classic set?

7. Gordon Johnson

Who here users that then?

Converting analogue to digital is one thing, a needledrop is wholly different.

You appear to miss the point. I never mentioned introducing distortion, I said the outcome of needledrops are a distortion of what is in the grooves. That being down to "wanting to perfect" the recorded sound in some way!

8. Gordon Johnson

EH hold the multi track masters so why is it so unconceivable that new mono mixes be made?

I have no idea at this stage what they have or have not done, lets wait and see. But the question still stands, who said the Classic mono's are fold downs, likewise the original Reprise mixes?

9. Gordon Johnson

FWIW, here's the quote in full. Quite clear in what it actually says.

Electric Ladyland is arguably Jimi Hendrix’s most authentic and personal work, a realization of (as he said in an interview not long after the album’s release) music as “my personal diary—a release of all my inner feelings, aggression, tenderness, sympathy, everything.” To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the final album Hendrix issued during his lifetime, this transparent orange crush numbered vinyl 7” EP collects rare mono mixes of “Crosstown Traffic,” “Burning Of The Midnight Lamp” and “Gypsy Eyes” as featured on the original LP.

10. Gordon Johnson

How can you not need some Hendrix?

SG47 likes this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

As I said before, if they're being called "rare," that implies they've been released in the past in some form or another. Otherwise, they would have been called "unreleased" or "new."

supermd and Gordon Johnson like this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

Firstly, this is a marketing statement from someone other than EH / Sony [at least that's how I see it] so I take this sort of comment quite loosely.

Then again, I treat EH and Sony marketing blub in an equally off hand manner!

But I'm more interested in how its now taken as read that the original Reprise mono mixes are fold downs. Are they and if so can that be demonstrated to a degree that its beyond reasonable doubt?

Is it beyond possible that Reprise did there own mono mixes?

Is it beyond possible that the Classic versions of Traffic and Eyes are not true mixes?

If they are fold downs then the Reprise are fold downs at the mastering stage and the Classic are [most likely] simply merged stereo pre mastering.

13. And I'm saying that a needledrop doesn't have to be a distortion of what's in the grooves with the right equipment.

Of course hearing is believing. You won't be able to, so I'll leave it at that, but
    blind tests have been done between the vinyl and the digital copy of the vinyl, and in most cases people have picked the digital as being clearer (and "warmer," to use that old term.)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

How about a little hair metal thrown in? :)

15. Gordon Johnson

You still miss the point!

That needledrops are DELIBERATLY distorted, [call it EQ or anything else]. And in doing so cannot be used as a reference source.

16. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Well on the flip side my 20 and 25 year old sons who love hip hop, and my 26 year old little sister all like Hendrix! My girlfriends 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend do as well. Also 20 year old kid working at Target saw me with a Hendrix t-shirt on and struck up a conversation, told me Hendrix is his insperation.

The songs they've liked the most are BOG Power of Soul, Ezy Rider, Machine Gun, and Experience cuts Voodoo Child SR , Foxey Lady, Purple Haze. Hey Baby ( New Rising Sun) , and Little Miss Lover .

Mr. Explorer, DTK, jhm and 2 others like this.
  17. "Deliberate" connotes an active, not a passive, distortion, so who is deliberately distorting the signal of vinyl going into an ADC? You cannot say the machines or the processes themselves, because nobody deliberately designed them to distort the final product. If distortion is a byproduct of no machine being perfect, then that takes me back to my original point that no playback devise, process, or physical medium is perfect, even a flat transfer of the master played into speakers, because the speakers, themselves, are not reliable.

Perhaps I still don't get your point and/or that our definitions of "distortion" differs.

Chris M likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

You sure want to take this down some other route. Go right ahead but leave me out of it!

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

$2 if you could find it, but $20-30 secondary market for 80% of his fan base who even knew about them. Plus they are annoying to pay/store.

Plus EH could keep more publishing $.

DTK likes this.
  20. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Mono shmono

Terry Shute, unclefred and SG47 like this.
  21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Nope, right now Amazon seems to represent the low: $44 and change for the CDs and around $85 for vinyl. There may a site here or there a few bucks cheaper but for now things have settled around these prices

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Because it's a backing track with live vocal only. Hardly essential in my book. I certainly wasn't going to repurchase a box set or import a disc from the UK just to get that. I already had Peace... and STPwLSD on other releases.

For the record, I've purchased every EH and Dagger issue on CD except for the reissue of the Purple Box, the Ottawa Dagger (due to the flaws they didn't bother to fix) and the Voodoo Child hits/live collection.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Errr, kind of not like feedback and distorted guitars...

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

“Previously unreleased” was still there when I posted #2050, but they’re gone now and replaced with “rare” - which makes more sense and I agree, it virtually confirms these will be the vintage true mono mix for Burning and the folddowns for the other two.

It almost makes you wonder if somebody saw this thread...

DTK, Purple Jim and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

jhm likes this.