Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

chumlie likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, that is what happened.

4. alexpop

Must admit I miss a tv series like either lost or Breaking Bad that welcomes repeat viewings.

5. alexpop

Struggling to watch the last 2 discs ( 6 episodes) of AHS Season 1. Good news is I don't have to watch the whole series now. fork out money.

6. alexpop

Got the complete blu ray. Bit disappointed, English subtitles are corny,bit of nudity.. lots of car chases, streets locations, cliched. I've seen a few episodes, but not as good as the IMDb comments.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    townsend likes this.
  7. alexpop

Is it better than American Horror Story?

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

True Blood's another one that started off strong (1st 2-3 seasons) but really nose-dived as it went on.

9. If you are into superheroes at all, the first season of The Flash (2014) is great stuff. The show declines a bit after season one, but most everyone was excited while season one was on the air.

The Flash: Season One Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Funnily enough I've seen the first season of Flash, found it just ok, sorry.

11. alexpop

I'm thinking I've seen the crem de le crem what with Breaking Bad, The Wire, Deadwood, l o s t ...
    Thx for the info!!!!'

12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I was looking through this thread. Can't imagine not seeing Sopranos with your interests.

I love Mad Men and anyone that loves that show should fit right in since it was often same writer.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I gotta recommend Justified again. I am rewatching it, on the last season now. Even better the 2nd time around. I 4get if you had a take on it or not. Walton Goggins is absolutely phenomenal in it, as are most of the actors. Action, suspense, drama, humor, great seeing a hero who seems to enjoy putting bad guys down yet overconfidant and gets into trouble/over his head sometimes too, snappy dialog, a lot of funny stuff & strong characters, high body count, cool guest stars. Great gunfights/shootouts! 1st season has more separate stories to start then it develops story arcs for each season and the characters (many of whom get killed off along the way).

P.S. A lot of actors from Deadwood are in it, including the star of course (Timothy Olyphant).

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

Yes I had the complete box a couple of years back, but I just finished Breaking Bad ( complete series)and found the first season of Justified lacking in comparison with BB..now I'm thinking of perhaps maybe I should have watched at least the second season of Justified to see if it improved. So it's on my to get (again) list.

15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

No Sopranos no cream of the cream.

16. alexpop

To recap my favourite tv series.

Breaking Bad
    GOT
    Lost
    Sopranos

Then in no order

Mad Men
    Outlander
    Hannibal
    The Wire
    Fargo
    True Detective
    Penny Dreadful
    Mad Dogs uk
    Life On Mars uk
    Ashes To Ashes uk.....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Brenald79 likes this.
  17. alexpop

.....and
    The Shield
    Deadwood
    Boardwalk Empire
    Rome
    Homeland 1-3
    Singing Detective uk
    Band Of Brothers
    Pacific
    Magic City
    Better Call Saul
    Black Sails
    The Leftovers
    Wayward Pines
    Fortitude
    Line Of Duty
    TWD
    SOA
    Jessica Jones
    Banshee
    The Missing
    Z Nation
    Fear the..
    Spartacus
    Vikings
    Quarry
    Humans

I'll be getting Dexter box( liked first season).

Brenald79 likes this.
  18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

My bad, but move Sopranos to one to make the list right. :p

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

:)

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It takes off quite a bit! I think S3 was my favorite. Loved the Detroit mafia guy coming to Kentucky story arc. And the first episode has one of the most hairiest good guy vs bad guy standoffs in it. Can't say anymore other than it is Raylan vs. a hitman played by a cop from Dexter! There is a lot of cross pollination between all these shows we've been talking about. Kinda cool recognizing all these same actors although none of them are "famous" in the movie star sense. Although not a guy I see in much TV I was shocked to see "Noodles" in a role in one episode last season I think it was (character actor from one of my fave movies, Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In America).

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Well I got it because it was a kinda Deadwood spin off. But maybe not enough fireball expletives as that show, :), but Justified first season failed to ignite. Hope to rectify that!!!

22. alexpop

Good terminology " cross pollination" Since I've been watching loads of great shows since 2011 ( need to walk the dog more) it's amusing to see same actors appearing in different shows. Like Goggins in SOA, didn't recognise him at first ..best thing about that biker drama.

slipkid likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I watched a few episodes of season 1. I did a juggling act with three of the CW superhero shows-The Flash, Arrow and Supergirl-trying to figure out which of the three I was going to stick with for the long haul. I simply don't have time to binge all of them. I didn't stick with any of them, though I suppose I can jump back into them at any time. I'm curious to see what they do with Batwoman. Ruby Rose looks pretty good in the suit. She'll be making her first appearance in the Arrowverse crossover this December.

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

True Detective 3 hopefully will be better.