Biggest Vinyl Bargains Still Out There

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by krisjay, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider Thread Starter

I was thinking the other day about people new to vinyl. Those who have a decent budget setup or even better and are looking to buy some records. Many times what is found are high cost reissues, which on ocassion live up to the hype (Beatles Mono from 2014), but many times don't. In the spirit of great music for all, what are a couple bargains out there you would highly suggest as under the radar treasures or just flat out undervalued records. My choice, if I only had one would be the Bob Dylan-Biograph box set. Ridiculously undervalued and slightly forgotten. It can be had in NM or even sealed condition for less than one "audiophile" modern album. A 5 record box set of outstanfing quality and outstanding content with booklet for the price of one record, I call that a bargain, possibly, the best I ever had. What would be your top pick or suggestion.

2. davecaddie

davecaddie Forum Resident

As a relative newbie I will watch this with interest. Thanks for sharing!

hi_watt likes this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The Jimi Hendrix Legacy titles are a steal. Amazon has many for under $20.

sennj, AllenR, Gaslight and 26 others like this.
  4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I agree with the previous post about the Hendrix Legacy vinyl.

Newbies could also sign up to SDE (Super Deluxe Edition). Daily or so updates on from Paul what's new and what has come down in price.

Amazon Germany and Amazon France frequently have great offers (3 for 2 etc.).

fatherofnight likes this.
  5. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Van Morrison 'Astral Weeks' Rhino reissue from 2009. Better than the original and available for around $15

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

It’s priced at $29.19 now at Amazon -
    That’s a steal for 3 LPs.

dee, Ed Hughes and metalrules like this.
  7. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Currently £8.99 at Amazon U.K.

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'll second the The Warner 7-Arts Van Morrison album re-issues of Astral Weeks. I'll add Moondance and His Band and The Street Choir. Mastering by Kevin Gray with our host on Moondance. It's a shame they weren't able to remaster Tupelo Honey.

9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

A random selection of good sounding original vinyl pressings that are still fairly priced (here in the US):

The Band: Stagefright
    Graham Parker: any of his first four albums
    Blood, Sweat & Tears: s/t second album
    Chicago Transit Authority
    Elton John: Honky Chateau
    ELO: Out of the Blue
    The Police: Synchronicity
    Donald Fagan: The Nightfly
    Little Feat: Waiting for Columbus
    Midnight Oil: Diesel and Dust
    Harry Nilsson: Son of Schmilsson
    Procol Harum: A Salty Dog
    Paul Simon: s/t first solo album
    Bruce S: Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Elvis Costello: Imperial Bedroom
    Supertramp: Breakfast in America
    Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane: Rough Mix
    Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells A Story
    The Yes Album
    Jim Carroll Band: Catholic Boy

MBT68, breakingglass, gillcup and 2 others like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Faces box set.

AlienRendel, dasacco, jgrillo and 7 others like this.
  11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

If you like prog music then you're in luck.

I nearly have half the Jethro Tull discography because it's so cheap, mint copies of the more desirable albums are never more than $10 - I see Yes stuff all the time for cheap too, and later period Genesis is never expensive. I never find post punk stuff in the US though, I'll look in every place they might be in the used bins to no avail - for electronic music, Tangerine Dream isn't uncommon and it's nearly all I get. Finally, albums that are "rare" in the prog category can often be stupid cheap due to the lack of sales for it - albums like FM - Black Noise and Illusion - Out of the Mist I both got for $4 in person, which I thought I'd be getting online if I ever wanted a copy of them.

I don't look for new releases, though often times I think I should... lol.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Judas Priest reissues on Amazon

13. U2's vinyl sounds and looks great

The Who's Fillmore 68 is a beautiful triple

Most SubPop vinyl

14. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Jimi Hendrix live at Winterland box set, it's 8 LPs, sounds fantastic and can be had for $80, so $10 per LP for those of you without basic math skills. A bargain!

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Winterland

15. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

The 45th anniversary pressing of David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy. I believe it uses the same plates as the 40th anniversary pressing from 2012. It is readily available and one of the best sounding pressings you can find of this album.

I would also be on the lookout for the recent Nirvana pressings that have that Pressed at Pallus stickers on the front. They use the same plates as the famed ORG pressings from a while back done by Bernie Grundman.

Finally Neil Young: Live at Massey Hall also pressed by Bernie Grundman. This is still in print and is maybe the best sounding live album out there.

16. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Otis Redding - The Definitive Studio Album Collection

Mind-boggling cheap.

17. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Any regular used Dire Straits LP will probably cost you less than a cup of coffee. And they all sound fantastic!

18. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

Yes. Relatively easy to find and has phenomenal sound!

panasoffkee and Brian Lux like this.
  19. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I recently picked up the Parlophone reissue of Bowie's Hunky Dory for $21.95 and hearing it last night I thought it was a bargain.

20. metalrules

The Rhino Rocktober T. Rex "Electric Warrior".

21. metalrules

Oh, and all the 2003-ish US Sony Legacy AC/DC vinyl reissues rock and are around $20. Sterling pressings, at least they were when I picked them up.

Old Rusty likes this.
  22. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

I found the early monkees albums in good shape for as low as a $1. Early kiss albums in good shape without inserts $5 max. Red and blue Beatles albums used in good shape for $10

Iceman08 likes this.
  23. metalrules

Coltrane Rhino remasters: "Coltrane Jazz" and "My Favorite Things" mastered by Bernie Grundman, "Giant Steps" mastered by Kevin Gray.

I see used Van Halen albums in the bins in decent condition all the time. The recent vinyl remasters are also excellent and not too pricey.

Clucking likes this.
  24. metalrules

Sorry, a couple more...

Rickie Lee Jones' debut album. Very nice copies abound for less than $10, and it's an incredible sounding record.

Emmylou Harris' early catalog on vinyl is also easy to find under $10, and those albums sound great too.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  25. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I'll jump in a 2nd time as well, scanning my LPs:

- Buena Vista Social Club, 2015 pressing. Excellent stuff, a nice double LP in a solid sleeve with great booklet, high-quality inners and download code for 25 quid.

- David Bowie - Tonight. Okay, probably any pressing of this DMM title will sound fantastic. I have a copy from Yugoslavia I found for five bucks last year and no other vinyl edition should set you back any further.

- The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (50th Anniversary, Stereo). Others have often recommended the 2fer with another BB album, Carl & the Passions, which seems to be rather cheap in the US. However, in Austria, I never was able to find it. I got the 50th anniversary LP for my sister at the time of release and it sounds absolutely fantastic to the both of us. Comes with download code and costs no more than 20 bucks.

- Ryo Fukui - Scenery (2018 reissue). Grab this as long as you can, because this is hands down one of the best-sounding albums I own, on any format. Cost me 22 euros.

- Jerry Reed - Georgia Sunshine. Can be had for - what? One dollar maybe? It's country, so you have to be into the stuff, but if you like it, you get a fantastic album produced by Chet Atkins who did some miracles on producing here. Great sound, especially the guitar playing really fills the room and is absolutely gorgeous.

In my profile, you'll realize that my equipment is solid but - at least the cartridge - is an entry level Ortofon. So I limited the post to stuff that also gets recommended by users with more advanced (?) systems at hand. Enjoy :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.