Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

The George Duke thing on Zappa

'I cant' do this...'

"oh you mean it's beneath you?...

Mechanical Man likes this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

agreed. I've only had one person pm with a threat of physical harm on these forums.

carlwm likes this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This forum, in general, has a tendency to focus on one aspect of my overall musical perspective.

Occasionally it will manage to throw me a curve ball and shake up other areas.

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

maybe you listen to it with one hand in your pocket??

Blank Frank likes this.
  5. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

It make me think...

Maybe that's the issue - confusing the art of the recording with the art of music.

The recent ( 75 years or so) of the music business really emphasized the recording. Productized to be a physical, static product.

But music is so much more...

Ya know - sports got this right the music biz, not much:

"Marketing human ability as a dynamic product, not a recorded version"

How many sports fans watch the Super Bowl over and over again?

Music as a recorded product (one that this forum host "mastered" - sorry for the pun) Is a viable artform, as is the compositions the musicians and engineers record.

Besides books on tape - music is an entertainment form that one can do without full participation of more than one sense. And during times alone it can be uplifting; motivational. Yea watching the Immaculate Reception of the Steelers can be too, but again it takes a bit more of an active roll.

And a lot of the forum participants here also do that with recording - very affectionado .

But there's a whole other side to music - the live performance - I've posted this before - Jim Chapin - it describes what the listeners feel during a performance of a very dynamic group of players:

So if you go back to Freddie playing those ice cream scoops on that rap thing... yea I get it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Yes, I find common ground with a lot of views on the forum, that's why I spend so much time reading the content here. Lots of insightful commentary from time to time. There is also a very active guy on the forum - his posting name is Chris DeVoe - that I have noticed I agree with 99.99% of his postings so there is at least one person out there. Hope that doesn't make me a fanboy......

carlwm likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
    Except in the case where you say Kiss stinks. Then I will defend Kiss to the death. :D

8. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

Naw - that's when you work on high voltage... well, one hand somewhere is what the old electricians told me.

9. John54

John54 Senior Member

It depends. My favourite style is '60s pop, which has a lot of representation on the forum. After that, it's '70s progressive rock and '80s alternative (which might be called post punk pop in some places?). But I tend to like a lot of pop songs from both decades (and beyond). However, when I refer to "pop" I never mean the soul-tinged stuff by the likes of Michael Jackson, and especially not the dreadful melismatic-overdone stuff by many female contemporary artists..

Anyway, I like well-crafted pop tunes that aren't too heavily overdone with guitars as a rule.

carlwm likes this.
  10. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Blank Frank likes this.
  11. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

So weird you mentioned throat singing....I just saw a home vid of zappa's where he has throat singers and Irish sea shanty - check it out

Hmmm...

Comet01 likes this.
  12. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I suggest starting a new thread and see who picks up on it. You may be surprised to find other fans. However popular or obscure your tastes may be, you're probably not the only fan.

If I Can Dream_23 and Comet01 like this.
  13. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Nope.

14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

15. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I like reading people's thoughts about music, especially rock music so I even enjoy threads about artists that I don't particularly care for.

What I don't understand is the rampant negativity around here. Why can't people love some music without hating other music?
    If an artist is popular, be it because he sold millions of albums or because he has a small number of dedicated followers he must have done SOMETHING right.
    I'm interested in why people like a certain artist even if I don't "get" the artist myself.

And putting down some of the greatest artists in rock history (Led Zeppelin, The Doors) and making fun of their fans ist just as silly as saying all new music is crap.
    All artists that are discussed here have created music that touched the hearts of their fans and the interesting thing for me is to understand and maybe to share a lttle bit of the enthusiasm that others feel for their favourite artists.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I don`t get into everything others do so sometimes I wish my tastes expanded a little.That does happen to me in time I guess.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No problem music wise I like The Beatles.:D

Movie wise?
    YES!!!

melstapler likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Definitely one too many though!

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always have a voice- my voice. And that's all that matters. I might be the only person here who likes an artist or group or song or whatever, but so what? :)

Ginger Ale, Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The more I think about this thread title, the more I believe it's a premise that is highly unlikely to be true.

There are so many members here. Thousands. To be representative of this forum you'd need to be a Beatles fan who enjoys Merzbow, Stockhausen, the Carpenters, along with scoops of Jazz and Appalachian music - and that's just to start. Unlikely, imo.

I would define the forum as a huge record store. While I may go in and browse the Jazz, the Rock, the Classical, others go straight to the Disco. To be representative your tastes would have no bounds.

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't know why someone would listen to music "ironically ".
    It's very pretentious and snobbish.

And what's wrong with listen to LZ and the Doors?

Jarleboy and Endymion like this.
  22. erocky

erocky Senior Member

I have been a member here for years and I love it. I have learned a ton of stuff about sound quality in music. That's what this site was set up to do. There are many threads that I never read here. A few of the threads though, have gotten me through some tough days in my life.

Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

C'mon, man...
    I didn't know Led zeppelin is unrefined taste

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The thing that I think is great about this forum is that if you want to have a conversation about Renaissance European music or contemporary avant garde jazz or gospel music of the golden age or Malian music or countrypolitan music or Kanye West or Taylor Swift or Peggy Lee or whatever, chances are you find some people here with knowledge about and enthusiasm for the topic.

Sure, mostly it's talk about '60s and '70s rock, and it's talk about "my ten favorite" this that and the other, and I don't care too much about that stuff or that kind of conversation about music. But there's a lot of other kinds of talk here as well, perhaps less so than was the case a years ago, but it's still a place with a lot of people with broad musical interests and knowledge looking to talk about it, and I love that.

fenderesq and lschwart like this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do you ever get the feeling that your musical perspective is not representative on this forum?

Remove musical and replace forum with planet and you've got how I feel most days, but just in terms of musical preferences, I fit in just fine here for the most part. This forum has its limitations, but it's diverse enough that I can typically find a least a few other people who are interested in some of the more obscure bands that I enjoy.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.