SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

I do recall you saying that you were prohibited from using any such "doodads" for the Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits discs from AF. (I had thought it ironic that MoFi got away with including a couple on their New Morning and Desire, but after further reading, I found that those particular bits had been present on some previous issues of those records, so that's probably the explanation for why they were allowed through.)

2. Psychedelic Sounds

Psychedelic Sounds Forum Resident

That would be the best one sounding one of Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. But it is expensive to buy in VG+ or better condition.

3. Psychedelic Sounds

Psychedelic Sounds Forum Resident

I am pretty sure that Syd Barrett was involved in mixing The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Mono). But not the Stereo version.

4. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation on the Boston CD. I've had the original Japan for US CD for a while and picked up a copy of the DIDP (DADC stamped hub) based on your above post. Upon comparison, the Japan for US is noticeably thinner-sounding and the DIDP disc is much more enjoyable to my ears. Much appreciation for you sharing your knowledge and opinions on various masterings/pressings.

dav-here and Steve Hoffman like this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I remember buying this after I had bought my first Holly, a compilation with the brick wall on the cover. I played that twice in a row after unwrapping it, the first and only time I can remember doing that with any album. After that, I had to rush out and buy the 6-record set. I had to hear more Buddy!

mBen989 likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Are the artist themselves ever the right choice to handle the mastering? Or is it better left to the professionals?

dav-here likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sold like 9 copies.

8. Steve Hoffman

Never the right choice.

formu_la and g.z. like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Hopefully it didn't cost you more than a few bucks.

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  10. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

Steve, I absolutely love the sound of Buddy Holly From The Original Master Tapes. I really wish that more great sounding albums can be had for prices like this. Can you recommend more of such albums, LPs or CDs? I remember u mentioned Cream's Strange Brew, mastered by Dennis Drake. Any others?

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Hey Steve,

Don’t know if this is possible or not. Have you ever thought about having an expert guest join the forum and take questions. For example, well known mastering or mix engineers, surround mixers, producers,artists etc.

The Gearslutz forum did this frequently in the past, and it was very interesting.

I enjoy this forum, thanks for making it happen!

dav-here likes this.
  12. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Haven't listened to my copy of Mamas/Papas 16 GH in a while (will have to dig it out soon), a nice sounding cd of stereo album versions of their tunes, my guess the mono single mix tapes were unavailable when the cd was mastered.
    Also like it has a few obscure gems along with the big hits.
    My cd label reads From The Master Tapes BTW, my guess that was to join Holly and Haley, but MCA decided with 16 hits instead?

13. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

(I'm not Steve) but there's some Ella Fitzgerald (Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie) and CSNY (So Far) that come immediately to mind. A few of the later albums in the 1987-1988 Beatles series are supposedly the best that can be had on CD (MMT, WA, LIB) IIRC.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  14. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

Is “Night Moves” the only album they’d let you work with? I feel like “Stranger in Town” would’ve been a hot seller.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The Official "Steve's Recommended CDs & LPs He Did Not Master" Thread*

16. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

Thanks guys!

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Hah, hell I made more money selling my gold CD than DCC ever did on the same release.

baconbadge and 2trackmind like this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, It's "how" you spend the money.

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

An Aerosmith question: Why was the original album title "Rocks" changed to Rocks (no quote marks)?
    This is a quick way to tell an original pressing btw.

dav-here likes this.
  20. Ere

Ere Senior Member

What is the most number of times labels have sent the wrong tapes to you until finally sending the right ones?

dav-here likes this.
  21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I bought one. Guess I'm in esteemed company. :agree:

tenor1 likes this.
  22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Hi Steve,

I remember your 'Adventures In Mastering' thread for Billy Idol's Rebel Yell where you found a photo or postcard stored along with the master tapes. Have you ever run into this with any other artists? (Whether it was a photo or a silly note).

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

When I visited my wife-to-be's apartment for the first time in 1980 & saw this on the shelf, I knew right away that she was The One.
    Well, that and a few other things...:tiphat:

24. jimfromny

jimfromny Forum Resident

According to the credits on page 5 of the CD booklet, you did indeed remix "Medicine Man"-- at Penguin Recording.

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Something that doesn't make their fingers dirty.

Jack_Straw, baconbadge and g.z. like this.