XTC Song of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Hard to believe Battery Brides got ignored earlier.
    A dark, forward-looking gem from a criminally underrated album.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Speaking about underrated...

I got hooked on Mummer immediately.
    The pastoral, sunny charm of it (with a dark undercurrent) absolutely does it for me.
    Ladybird for instance. It’s got a charming, unassuming quality and the production basically builds around it, like a flower in bloom.

DiBosco and misterdecibel like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is not being ignored. Every song will be featured at some point, as noted in the first post in this thread.

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I love it too: an absolutely sensational string arrangement (by Dave Gregory, I think).

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  5. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

+1 for 1000 Umbrellas

What’s not to like? It breaks up the album quite nicely in terms of its place in the track list .

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

What I meant was that it didn’t get any feedback.
    Sorry for the confusion.

1000 Umbrellas: Amazing, atmospheric song that marks the halfway point on Skylarking. Andy’s voice blends perfectly with the string arrangement.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  7. Ladybird is s swing and a miss. Some nice melodies and harmonies are wasted on a ponderous song that sounds like faux lounge jazz.

8. What’s not to like? The annoying violins, Andy’s over the top vocal and the lyrics. Besides those flaws it’s a cracker.:)
    Sorry, but you did ask.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    sparkmeister likes this.
  9. I Love Battery Brides....particularly the live versions.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

May not be hit single material, but it's a great album track that contributes to the overall mood of the whole. I enjoy it when it comes along. This album always takes me back to the fall of 1983 when I was still getting to know it. And there's another great Andy Partridge bridge.

dthomas850 and George Co-Stanza like this.
  11. George Co-Stanza

Today's song is "Books Are Burning"

This has become kind of a strange song for me in that I really like it, but I rarely listen to it. It's one of those songs that every time I listen to it, I think, "I should listen to this more." And then I don't. Weird. It's rare to hear an XTC song with such a long solo section, as the last minute and a half is basically guitar soloing, but I really like it.

12. misterdecibel

The bitchin' guitar solo is Andy, isn't it?

13. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

It really is amazing how much of XTC's albums can be considered "difficult listening." Hilarious that they considered their music to be pop, it just cracks me up. These guys definitely did write some incredible pop songs, but their catalog is just so full of bizarre and academic tunes. But amazing though. Very prolific and exploratory band with so much talent that it seems as if they almost had a difficult time containing and harnessing their own ability.

14. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

My introduction to this song was via the 5.1 version done by Steven Wilson. That mix is to die for and when I now listen to it in stereo it does not grab me in the same way. Still, a good song that really is elevated in the multichannel version.

15. George Co-Stanza

I got yesterday's song in late, so feel free to keep discussing it as well as today's choice.

Today's song is "The Affiliated"

This is actually my favorite Colin song from the Dukes second record, Psonic Psunsport. That little breakdown in the middle always makes me smile and is one of my favorite Dukes moments from either record. Very fun little song.

Pete Puma and dthomas850 like this.
  16. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Books Are Burning takes itself far too seriously and goes on too long, but it does have a pretty good guitar solo at the end (and I usually despise guitar solos). Like George Costanza, it's a song that I rarely listen to. In my case, it's because I always turn off Nonsuch after Bungalow, because (get out your pitchforks) I think it's a wonderful song and a perfect way to close out an album that needed to close out fifteen minutes earlier...but I'll have more to say about that once it comes up as song of the day. :) Anyway, back to Books Are Burning, I remember once thinking that the live version had the edge over the studio cut, but I'm listening to it now, and it's not really doing it for me. Ultimately, it's not a song that I'd miss much if it disappeared from my collection.

The Affiliated is pretty forgettable. I gave it a listen today, and it didn't ring any bells. The more I listen to the Dukes material (thanks mostly to this thread!), the more I'm convinced that most of their best songs made it to the 25 O'Clock EP, with the album proper being more or less disposable.

17. Books Are Burning is alright, but no highlight. The guitar solo outro is exceptional so for me the song is essential. The Affiliated is such a funny song -both musically and lyrically, that I can't help but smile as I listen. Another Colin highlight for me.

18. George Co-Stanza

I’m still essentially in the honeymoon phase with XTC, so I have no idea how each song and album will age for me, but for now I like the second XTC release more than the EP. I’m a huge fan of both.

Pete Puma likes this.
  19. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I really like "Books Are Burning" even though Andy, as usual, can't leave well enough alone. A beautiful melody bogs down in rococo effects and subthemes. I swear he could render "Happy Birthday" unrecognizable given enough studio time. As for "The Affiliated" I just can't get into the Dukes stuff I've heard here so far.

DirkM likes this.
  20. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

"Books are Burning" is an okay tune. I'm just not sure it's the right tune to close the album.

21. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

That's hilarious (and, sadly, all-too-true). I've always felt that the whole "studio as an instrument" idea was, on the whole, more harmful than good, and some of XTC's latter-day tracks really seem to drive that point home.

misterdecibel likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

You mean Dukes?

I'm also a huge fan of both, but favor the EP, mostly because I think it's more convincing as a time capsule from an alter ego band. The 2nd album to me is more immediately recognizable as an XTC novelty album.

23. George Co-Stanza

I meant the Dukes, yes, darn it. :eek::uhhuh:

I know what you mean about the EP being a bit more alter ego-ish. Honestly, I could listen to either right now and think, "Okay, that one I prefer." :cool:

24. misterdecibel

Damn straight.

That reminds me of listening to "The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society". Every time a song starts I think "this one's my favorite", until the next song comes along and then that one's my new favorite.

25. George Co-Stanza

Today's song is "Helicopter"

Drum and Wires wasn't much to my liking at first, but this is one of the songs I kinda liked. As time as gone on, although I still like everything after it more, I like the album a lot more than I did at first, and this song has kind of fallen down as a middle of the pack tune at best on the album. Still a solid and fun little tune, but doesn't really stand out in any real way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.