Music Books you would love to read but...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

... you can't read?

2. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

The Beach Boys and The California Myth - David Leaf

I've been looking for this one for decades. In 1995 when Brian Wilson's I Just Wasn't Made For These Times CD soundtrack came out, there was even a note promoting the book. I thought for sure it was on the verge of being reissued but to my knowledge this never happened.

3. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

The Beach Boys and the California Myth was updated in 1985 and retitled The Beach Boys, an "enlarged edition of David Leaf's The Beach Boys and the California Myth, first published in 1978."

Unfortunately, this edition is also out of print and expensive.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    GLENN likes this.
  4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The Ian Hunter book used to be fairly easy to find in secondhand bookshops in the UK, that's obviously changed.

5. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I have a roomful of books right now, some old, some newer, and some read and some not. Mostly americana subjects like The Band, R Robertson's new book, some Dylan, etc along with a few Coltrane titles, some Miles Davis, Life by K Richards w/ a few other Stones titles, Linda Ronstadt, Leonard Cohen among others. Just knocked off Calling Me Home 2012 about Gram Parsons, a simple but fascinating read, that covers mostly how he came to be the 'Cosmic American Music Cowboy', and less about his 'star-powered' years. The magic lies in the meticulous study and interviews he conducted with all of his Florida childhood friends to the many musicans, including Roger McGuinn, and then some. I have Ben Fong Torres and Myer's books about GP on the way. I have a lot of reading
    to do which will influence what I listen to a great deal, but that is the additional fun part.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  6. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

May Pang - The Lost weekend

A bit voyeuristic I'm guessing but it seems like a missing piece of the Lennon jigsaw. But not paying the silly prices it is going for!

SRC likes this.
  7. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

You can get the Hunter book pretty easily through interlibrary loan; probably at no charge. That's not true of Derek's book but it's available (with access restrictions) in a few libraries.

I'd like to read Neil Aspinall's book that was never written.

8. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I would so love to finally get a copy of that book. Quite a lot of it is up on books.google.com, but much is omitted - though that hasn't stopped me from reading through what's up there anyway, more than once.

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's great, I bought it when it came out. Never been reissued it seems.

10. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

dormouse likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I bought my copy in 1999 for $50 from an online bookfinder. First edition. I thought it was a very expensive indulgence at the time. :laugh:

Two books I really want to read are Ian Hunter's Diary Of A Rock and Roll Star and Matovina's Without You: The Tragic Story of Badfinger. Those are two books that really shouldn't be out of print. They should at least be available on ebook. :cry:

Oh, look! I'm halfway there! :laugh:

12. I would've thought that Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Star would always be in print somewhere given its classic status, but I see the 2000 edition I bought new less than a decade ago is already selling at collector's prices. Good that it'll be apparently back in print shortly.

13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

:thumbsup: My pleasure.

14. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

So short stories are cool. What are you into? Carver, Salinger, Chekov?

15. ShockControl

Lately, I've been revisiting the short stories of John Cheever.

elvismcdouglas likes this.
  16. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

It's alive and well :)

Ian Hunter: Ian Hunter - Diary Of A Rock N Roll Star

17. ShockControl

I have it. It's a great book, if you don't mind the author reminding you how great Brian Wilson is every other sentence. It could have been half the length if you removed all the fawning.

My copy is a hardcover. I had no idea they were so expensive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  18. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I got a battered copy of "Papa John" from the US but having gone to all that effort I haven't actually read it yet.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The Johnny Horton biography.

[​IMG]

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Lot of music books I'd love to read, but...

(wait for it...)

I CAN'T READ MUSIC-! :mudscrying:

(Geez, how did this take three pages to come up...!)

dammitjanet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.