Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Angel From Montgomery is a standard best know by rock fans as done by Bonnie Raitt.

Prine has always been an album artist, not a singles or even AOR air play artist. I can only speak to my experience but by the mid-seventies most every teen and early twenties music fan knew Prine and bought his albums. If you listened to Little Feat, ABB, Clapton, JJ Cale, Leon, etc. you were listening to Prine. The idea that he wasn't a popular artist during the classic rock era is just incorrect. Maybe there were parts of the country where this wasn't true but it certainly was in my neck of the woods.

2. lazydawg58

Little Feat, Zevon, and Marshall Tucker Band are three that I see as very deserving. Hopefully one day.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Lot of acts here that have been overlooked for too long. For sheer units-moved and fan-base, Leppard and Stevie Nicks should have been honoured decades before now. I'd go for those fine artists, along with the fabulous Roxy Music. Their first four albums were genuine works of art.

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. lazydawg58

every songwriter and every music fan that prefers singer/songwriters over many of the other subcategories of the general term, "rock."

5. lazydawg58

Exactly 1. I've seen Prine two or three times. Rufus's truck broke down at my Daddy's gas station when I was 14 or 15. That was pretty cool. I knew who they were but it was just two or three roadies, they band bus was nowhere to be seen.

Most of these artists I have no interest in, but that doesn't mean they aren't worthy. I like the Zombies singles, and Rundgren did some good things and probably more importantly produced some important albums. I know MC5 were wild and important. I picked up a Roxy Music album crate digging and enjoyed it but I never gave them a second thought back in the day. I've never listened to Radiohead, jackson, the Cure, remember Devo as a one hit wonder, and certainly only listened to Kraftwork long enough to know it was too sterile for my tastes. But I acknowledge that just because these artists aren't my cup of tea doesn't mean they are bad or insignificant. I think the problem with a lot of posters is that they can't separate what they like from what is worthy.

Zeki likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's all about the individual posters. The Hall is supposed to validate their tastes.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I agree. The Hall, though, would get a lot less flack if they tightened up/sharpened the criteria. Just by adding a time limit, for instance. (If you haven't been inducted within x number of years from start of eligibility, you're no longer in the running.). That one modification would eliminate all the posts saying so and so from the 50's or, by now, the 60's should get in before Radiohead. Yeah, those posters would still insist someone is being overlooked, but at least it wouldn't be John Mayall (whom I'm still agitating for! :D ).

lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. lazydawg58

Prine is certainly not obscure. His most recent album rose to #6 on the Billboard 200 chart and the guy is in his 70s. His been touring and recording since 1972. If you aren't a person that enjoys one of the following- roots music, singer/songwriters, Americana, folk-rock, folk, indie or country, maybe he doesn't come readily to mind. But that would be because that isn't your cup of tea, not because he is unknown to the general public.

500Homeruns, Aurora and Zeki like this.
  9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Uh, you've just said Kraftwerk are sterile, that's no compliment.

10. lazydawg58

That is how the finally resolved the Link Wray snub. How he could constantly be overlooked was embarrassing so the created the single and put Rumble in.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

:laugh: .yeah, yeah....look at it this way, those songs (ie. Centerfold/Freeze Frame) were so vile to me, that I wanted to keep that band locked away...doing prison time. Not saying I'm right, but that's the way it goes. First taste of an artist, is apparently quite important. Perhaps...maybe one day I'll check out some of their 70's material, but there's so many artists, and so little time. I think we can all agree with that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. lazydawg58

Not an insult, just as it relates to my tastes. I'm into more organic sounds.

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Inorganic would have been a better word than sterile in that case. Slightly. Saying they're too sterile for your tastes implied that their sterility was acceptable to other people, whereas I don't find them remotely sterile.

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The biggest question is, how does one go 40 years without listening to The Cure?

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Radiohead, The Cure, Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, and . . . . OK Janet Jackson, because for a brief moment in time, she had the best abs in the history of pop music.

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You can hear them without listening to them, can't you?

sekaer, Synthfreek and mrbobdobalina like this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Their real material is nothing like that - keyboard player Seth Justman is the band member that steered things pop in 1981. The band's real material is better described as rootsy R&B-influenced blues rock.

Zoot Marimba and zen like this.
  18. zen

zen Senior Member

Unfortunately, I'm not into blues rock these days...overdone! So maybe this lifetime ain't in the cards for me and JGB...but, one never knows.

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Unfortunately the singles category appears to be the catch all for artists that will not be inducted as artists.
    Notice that Steppenwolf and Procol Harum were two recipients in the singles category.
    I expect that 60 s acts like Tommy James, Paul Revere and The Raiders, Sir Douglas Quintet will be given same treatment.
    Not fond of this category or what appears to be its function

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Check out The Full House album by J Geils.
    It’s really good.

21. zen

zen Senior Member

OK, alright!! I guess, I've got an assignment. Thanks, Dylancat (and BluesOvertookMe).

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Have to add Bread, Stylistics, Wrecking Crew, and for non-performers, Thom Bell and Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff.

23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Cool.
    Listen to it appropriate volume and
    Good speakers.
    At a party is extra bonus.

zen likes this.
  24. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Gamble and Huff are in the Hall.

Zoot Marimba and AudiophilePhil like this.
  25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.