SH Spotlight The Official "Steve's Recommended CDs & LPs He Did Not Master" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ec461, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

2. willied

willied Forum Resident

Great thread!

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Steve recommended somewhere the MFSL SACD of Love’s Forever Changes as the best edition of the item.

Aleksander86, C6H12O6 and George P like this.
  4. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

5. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I have that Art Pepper Japanese CD but it isVDJ-1556 not 1655

scottc1963 likes this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad you like it. Always a pleasure to master Art Pepper's great sounding Contemporary Studio recordings.

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Steve, please talk Acoustic Sounds into repressing this fantastic 45RPM reissue with your original stampers (they can press on 200gr and skip the whole limited thing). This was absolutely my favorite, and I lost it in the recent Northern California fires - now to expensive to replace

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Well, they don't have the rights anymore, sadly. Sorry you lost your stuff..

shokhead and tmtomh like this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Sonny Rollins Plus Four - OJC
    Clifford Brown Suggestions Hereby Solicited

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

13. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Dear Mr Hoffman,

My question relates to Love's Forever Changes. Forgive me if you've already answered this one elsewhere already. A while ago you recommended the 2001 version, catalogue number R2 76717.

I wonder if you've had a chance to compare it with one of the subsequent reissues and have revised your preferences. In particular, with the special deluxe edition (R2-565276) or the MoFi SACD (UDSACD 2131).

I know some on this forum prefer the latter, but this is one of my favourite albums and, having bought so many different versions of it over the years, I'm hoping for a second opinion.

Yours,

Michael

14. Steve Hoffman

I play the MoFi SACD now, but really, this album will never sound wonderful. Basically, some versions have more treble than other versions. That's about it. The mix is what it is, but it's in my top 10 of all time. When I want to play the album these days I'll play the old Elektra LP... It sounds pretty much like it should..

wellhamsrus likes this.
  15. vonwegen, wellhamsrus and George P like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A note: The original Complete Nutcracker by Dorati, was the Mono only 1954 Mercury recording with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra. This stayed in print until the 1961 Mercury re-recording in Stereo (which I agree with you on being essential and the definitive one). The first Stereo complete Nutcracker was the Artur Rodzinski recording issued by Westminster in 1957 (first on 1/2 track Stereo Sonotape). A single reel excerpts tape was also issued (a friend of mine's had that since 1958, the moderator of the former Yahoo reeltoreel list). Some history.

I own the 1961 Dorati Mercury Stereo Nutcracker (Original pressings) and also own the German Decca set of the Ansermet performances, my two favorite Nutcrackers.

Chazzbo13 and yasujiro like this.
  17. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

wellhamsrus likes this.
  18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

If you compare the Sony 2003 SACD, MFSL's SACD and Steve's AF mastering of the two Nashville Skyline tracks on Greatest Hits Vol. 2, you'll find that Steve's mastering is a lot closer in tone to the 2003 SACD. With that in mind, I think we can reasonably deduce that Steve would still prefer the 2003 SACD over the MFSL SACD.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

hi_watt likes this.
  20. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Who said this?:shh:
    It was written sept 15, 2002.

I very much agree on that statement! :agree:

wellhamsrus likes this.
  21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Btw, Steve liked the Sony SACD of Tapestry. But I bet he would like the MoFi SACD a bit better. It sounds a bit fuller. Both the voice and the piano sounds more «right». I have both.
    One of the best SACDs from MoFi, Imo. They nailed this one.

Instant Karma and George P like this.
  22. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I prefer the alternate mix that you mastered, mainly because I like hearing the 3 guitar tracks in separate, distinct spatial locations in the stereo picture. That, and the drums being centered for most songs.

wellhamsrus likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

24. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

supermd likes this.
  25. Did you include it on your insurance claim for personal contents? You should get replacement cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.