New to CD collecting, give me some recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AidanB, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright, so I’ve been missing a CD player in my setup for a long time, and I decided it was time to finally get one, so I bought a mint condition Pioneer DV-79AVi off eBay CIB, just so I wouldn’t have to worry about seperate components for SACD and DVD-A. Now, there are some CD only releases that I definitely got this for, such as box sets and newer albums that have only been released on CD, but I want to know what pressings you guys would recommend for me to start off my collection. I enjoy jazz, classic rock, jazz fusion, prog rock, and I’d be down for some classical suggestions too. You can sort of get an idea of what I’m into off of my profile page, so keeping my tastes in mind, please give me some recommendations! (Also if a pressing you want to recommend is crazy expensive, also make sure to include a less pricey but still very good alternative I can think about) Thanks guys!

2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Sounds like the guy needing a new roof on the Home Advisor ads.

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

George P likes this.
  4. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Buy what you want, not what some stranger on the internet tells you to buy!

Kingsley Fats, Muzmus and RobNeil like this.
  5. c-eling

Many of us came here to this forum to avoid crap like this-
    [​IMG]

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I have that Pioneer, it's not a very good CD player!

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Here is some helpful info for those new to CD collecting:

The Compact Disc Digital Audio System offers the best possible sound reproduction - on a small convenient sound-carrier unit. The Compact Disc's remarkable performance is a result of a unique combination of digital playback with laser optics. For the best results you should apply the same care in storing and handling the Compact Disc as with conventional records. No further cleaning will be necessary if the Compact Disc is always held by the edges and is replaced in its case directly after playing. Should the compact Disc become soiled by fingerprints, dust or dirt, it can be wiped always in a straight line, from center to edge) with a clean and lint free soft, dry cloth, No solvent or abrasive cleaner should ever be used on the disc. If you follow these suggestions, the Compact Disc will provide a life time of pure listening enjoyment.

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ok, I'm not going to lie. My first reaction to this post was:

[​IMG]

In all seriousness though, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with pretty much any Steven Wilson remix of an existing album. Since most of those exist in inexpensive cut-down releases, that won't break the bank either. His King Crimson releases (per your avatar) are great, as are his Jethro Tull remixes.

9. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Buy used. Don't spend much.

10. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

The lousy remastering of that set or that album in particular? That was the first album I (re-)bought on CD in 1987 - the West German Polydor.

11. c-eling

The remaster Terry, sorry :laugh:, man they destroyed it, harsh. That WG is incredible sounding :)

vette442 likes this.
  12. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Huh, I think you’ll find a great many on this forum who would dispute that claim.

Sorry my post was apparently so rediculous as to warrant such helpful responses as
    Remind me to never ask for music suggestions from a music forum ever again, geez people.

lightbulb likes this.
  13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Ignore the trolls.

DCC and Audio Fidelity are generally good bets. Like led Zep? Get the Diament masterings.

George P likes this.
  14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

That's a very well thought out and original post.

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Wow. Tall order to recommend CDs for starting a collection from ground zero, especially with all the genres you say you're open to exploring. I don't know, how about a nice Dylan set? Like one of the bootleg series? I'd start with Volumes I - III, all of which come in the same set. Or maybe some of the recent Zappa remasters which sound really nice. Start with something like Hot Rats. I also really like the latest Pink Floyd remasters. Pick up Meddle or Animals to start. How about the 3 disc Led Zeppelin - Coda deluxe set? That has some great bonus tracks.

I could go on all day. Even if these choices aren't for you they may possibly spark an associative idea of where you might want to start...possibly.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Advice; start with the artists that interest you the most then search the forum for subjects on the best sounding CD versions of each album.

Runicen likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

let's have a list of the artists you are interested in...

George P likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Starting out?
    Just buy music that you know.
    No excuse to buy cds build your collection, so ridiculously cheap.
    Sound issues, better mastering?
    Rule of thumb get the early cd pressings, later CDs for bonus tracks.
    High end labels like MFSL CDs generally are excellent. Try and seek out DCC gold CDs ( not cheap but great sounding).

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.