SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Stefan Sigurdsson

Stefan Sigurdsson Forum Resident

Please get your hands on all the original Yardbirds master tapes from the locked vault, and work on them.

2. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

I mixed a TV production with Sammy Davis, Jr. back in the day. I addressed him as Mr. Davis when meeting him. He shook my hand and said, "Just call me Sammy, man". Such a nice man. He was performing with H B Barnum's orchestra. ..loved it.

dav-here, GMDuss, supermd and 7 others like this.
  3. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

You say that Night Moves did not sell well (hard to understand why), so Seger records weren't sought after for follow-ups. I find that interesting. Since you had input choosing DCC titles (I think you said DCC), what was the thinking for choosing a title? Was it first and foremost that it would likely sell well? Other factors?

Also, if I may, were some labels favored over others because AF or DCC had great relationships with them, and knew they could strike deals easier?

4. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

Stray Cats - Built For Speed

I have it - sounds fantastic (of course)! :righton:

thxphotog likes this.
  5. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Forum Resident

O.K. I have one.
    I got into 78 rpm a half-dozen years ago as part of my appreciation of the Boswell Sisters, and to listen to the 78s my parents had accumulated back in the day after they passed.
    From there I expanded into other genres and artists to feed the 'table.
    When listening 78s from the 30s, do you have a go-to e.q. setting to compensate for pre-RIAA-curve noise?
    Or is there any processing you use for at-home listening?
    Thanks!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Thank you kindly.

mdm08033 likes this.
  7. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

What DAC do you use for mastering from digital sources?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Audiophile Yes fans, mostly.

9. Steve Hoffman

I have everything, yes.

dav-here, mwheelerk and goodboyfred like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Giant thread on this. Just leave it on RIAA, much less noise that way. If you feel you need to add a bit of mid, gently add a db or two at 3k.

Lou Ming likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Many different ones, too many to name here and besides (as I mentioned above) proprietary information.

12. Steve Hoffman

Classic music. Would sell, would sound better than what was already out there. Sometimes it didn't matter if it sold well or not, we just wanted to do it (like most of the jazz Gold titles we did.)

RobCos02330 likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Good story.

I played this for my kids this morning going to school and we all sang along. I told them that Uncle Russ engineered this. They were impressed. They also asked how many uncles they actually had, heh.

14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I absolutely love your Jim Croce Greatest hits on DCC vinyl. I understand that with greatest hits packages, it can be difficult or impossible to actually get each song off of the master reel. How difficult was the Croce release to master? Same question for Heart's greatest hits on gold CD. Must have been a bear of job to get each song from each master tape.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

And thank goodness you did those Jazz titles. They sound phenomenal.

Since I was a very late convert to jazz, most of my jazz CDs are audiophile and many of those are DCCs. So nice (for once) to get it right the first time!

Mugrug12 likes this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I guess you don't have the old Rhino CD for Five Live Yardbirds, to name one quality disc.

17. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I went on Discogs to look for a soundtrack CD of the original Raiders of the Lost Ark and was able to snag a DCC mastered by you. Do you have any memories to share about that one? I’m interested in anything you might recall!

18. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that was a tough one, from the uncompiled master reels from Abbey Road. I had a guy there (soundtrack expert) to guide me through it. Was fun.

19. Steve Hoffman

The Croce was hard to do but we didn't mind. I had a helper (Mike R.) who guided me a bit. He had guidance from Tommy West for the most part so we managed it all without too many tears.

PDK likes this.
  20. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

How many times do you typically play a master tape all the way through when mastering an album?

I'm just winging it here, but it stands to reason you might make your own digital (analog?) "dupe" of the master, an absolutely flat transfer, and use that to work out your mastering "moves" to avoid wear on the master itself. Then you apply those moves during one final master tape playback when doing the actual disc cut. Is that anywhere close to your process?

And thanks again for answering all our questions. This thread is fascinating reading, to say the least. :thumbsup:

QQQ, Rockin' Robby, bmoregnr and 2 others like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Twice, for the reasons you have nicely stated.

22. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Makes me wonder yet again what makes someone an audiophile.

painted8 likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

One that got away: The Association Collection.”

I really wanted one good sounding Association disk. Not to be, sadly.

24. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Steve, why don't the major labels have their own "boutique label" for audiophile releases?

They gotta know their is a market out there. Plus they would have a lot of advantages the boutique Don 't
    have access to.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How do you think you’d feel about re-mixing them after re-mixing them?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018