Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Lindsey wasn't the spark when the band formed in the late 60s and he wasn't the spark as they soldiered on in the early 70s after Peter Green lost the plot. He was certainly crucial for the '75 - '87 phase, but he was never the primary songwriter in the same way as BW was for the Beach Boys. Of course, many of their most well known hits were written by Christine and Stevie.

Let me be clear: I'm a big fan of what Buckingham brought to the band and am sympathetic to him in many ways, but while I can't claim to understand all of the legal underpinnings of this case, this strikes me as a very cutthroat move and a sad development in what must be (close to) the closing chapter of their career. FM has been a "spent force" creatively for some time and obviously the others are content to be a crowd pleasing greatest hits jukebox at this point. What gives him the right to impose his will for what the band should be on all of the others?

2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Guessing we won't be seeing a Buckingham Nicks reissue anytime soon...

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

One of Buckingham's band members since 2006 is doing the Mac tour.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

She must feel very awkward with this entire affair. All signs point to Lindsey being very supportive of her return to the band, and then they followed her return with a collaborative album. Suddenly, the other three want Lindsey out. Even if she wanted him to remain, she would have been outvoted. So, what is she supposed to do? Leave the band so soon after she finally returns and is again inspired to work? She is probably in a tough spot.

5. EchoStars24

EchoStars24 Well-Known Member

As much as I am a Buckingham fan, I wish they would just get along. It's been 51 years of drama and I wish the drama could end. I don't think of Fleetwood Mac as some circus act that's just doing anything for money, I think they just love to tour. If he didn't agree with the majority of the band's opinions, then he should have been kicked out, but I don't like to see the drama continuing

Tristero likes this.
  6. So he now thinks he’s a Beatle?

S. P. Honeybunch and chacha like this.
  7. smiecz

smiecz Sentient Being

I doubt that Finn and Campbell together are making that much on this tour.

Galaga King, chaz and Elliottmarx like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

More like a Rutle ... ;)

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably not, but Campbell recently alluded to being an actual member, rather than a salaried employee. Who knows what the value of his compensation package is, or what his percentage in the band is.

theMess, smiecz and Elliottmarx like this.
  10. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

My goodness, even the Davies brothers are getting along.

11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

People can talk about legal reasons and all that, but let's be clear about what's happened here (or, to be fair, what seems to have been happened): Lindsey disagreed with a Stevie-focused song for their group award walk-on music, and he "smirked" when she was giving her speech. After being left dangling for a few days, he was summarily canned by the manager, and never was even given the satisfaction of talking to any of his bandmates to try to get closure. That's appalling. Legal reasons or no.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My lawyer Irving Azoff will be in touch with you. Plagarism is a costly offence...

;)

13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

According to Lindsey himself in 2014, they had more than enough material in development for at least a double-album... the most he could get out of them in the studio was a mere eight tracks (four of which saw release as an E.P.), and even that was a struggle.

It seems Lindsey wants/wanted FM to be an active continuing creative force... the others (with the possible exception of Christine McVie) seemingly just want to sing the old songs and take the huge paychecks... if being in a musical act and wanting that act to make, y'know, actual new music together is "imposing his will" on the others, then long may he continue to be so imposing... it's reassuring to me that someone who's already enjoyed so much success still hasn't lost the fire to create... they may not make a fortune in new album sales anymore, but that shouldn't be the point any more for a highly lucrative band like FM, should it?

14. More cheap Entertainment/Drama! :goodie:

:-popcorn:

(wish they could all get along, but that just isn't part of most of the History of FM)

15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

on the one hand :
    and then:

That's more f***ed up than a Russian roundabout.

16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Thus setting the stage for a tearful, "spontaneous" band reunion at Madison Square in mid 2019.

17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

:righton:

18. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

The 5 Rumours era band members are, if I counted right, a collective 357 years old. Stevie is wearing sneakers instead of spiked heels on stage now because her 70-year-old feet probably hurt like every other 70-year-old's feet hurt right now.

I've said I want them to make new music and I meant it ... but I can understand that at some point, everyone doesn't want to have the fire to create. They want to do what it is they do, put money in the bank account and go soak their feet.

Again, IMO, Lindsey will be much happier on his own, displaying his creative fire and doing what he wants to do, when, where and how he wants to do it. This may sound hypocritical because I just told somebody I'd probably do what he's doing ... but dude, just get on with your life and your career and let them be a jukebox. As much as some folks protest otherwise, you weren't the whole damn band and it's not "your band." Go do your thing and let them do their thing. It will add years to your life to get away from this toxicity.

19. Tristero

I respect Buckingham's continuing passion and creativity, but you know, fruitful creative chemistry can't be forced, particularly in the light of the unfavorable economics that prevail now in the industry. Given that the others backed the move to oust him, it seems like the graceful thing for him to do was to follow his own path as a solo artist and let the rest of the band do their thing.

PRW94 likes this.
  20. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

It gives me a new appreciation for Paul McCartney putting out an album at 76.

And Neal Young disagrees with her.

"I make music to make myself feel good and to create art and respect the people I make it with. Everything else is just a distraction.”

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  21. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

This opinion of mine is totally subjective:

From the perspective of one who greatly values ROCKin' music, all of Fleetwood Mac's memorable tracks (post 1975) were written by Lindsey Buckingham.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    steelinYaThighs and Rooster_Ties like this.
  22. Tristero

He wrote the bulk of my favorites from that era, no question, but to argue that ALL of their memorable songs were penned by him does a great disservice to the songwriting chops of McVie and Nicks. (I suspect that even LB would take issue with you on that assessment!) On the other hand, I think that Lindsey had a knack for bringing out the best in the others, making their material stronger with his production/arrangement skills. I love songs like "Sara" and "Gypsy", but I wonder if I would have liked them as much if they'd been Stevie solo tracks.

23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

But the thing is, if you're in a group and nobody else is willing ... move on and do your thing, don't force the issue.

24. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying ... but is it really in the ozone for professional musicians to prioritize getting paid? Like John Lennon told the Playboy Interviewer on how he reconciled being so rich with some of his earlier political statements, "What would you have me do, give it away and walk the streets? I wasn't content with $2, I wasn't content with $2,000 and I'm not content with $2 million."

25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I agree but they chose Stevie because with her in the band they can play at big venues. Like it or not her name is a much bigger brand name then Lindsey's. Sure Lindsey's 100 times more talented then Stevie but with Stevie they can play the big arena's. Without her they would not be able to play those big arena's. At the end of the day it all comes down to money. Sad but true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.