EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It also had another title - "The Last Game Of The Season."

2. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Me too. Ron Dante was heavily involved with that one, so his knack for pop songs really elevated it.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I happen to like "Run Joey, Run". It's so bad, it's good. It's just an updated 70s version of all those teenage tragedy songs from the early 60s. That's all.

Jrr, SomeCallMeTim and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Um....when a discussion of Run Joey Run takes up a whole page, I think the thread is crying out for the next #1.

Jrr, Damiano54, pablo fanques and 2 others like this.
  5. W.B.

You think . . . ?! :eek: :yikes:

Jrr and Manapua like this.
  6. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

The Glee Cast remake of that song is actually quite good... :hide:

tommy-thewho likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:agree:

8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Eh, wonderfully terrible things often spark a long conversation, if only for everyone to put their two cents in on how much they hate it.

Jrr and Damiano54 like this.
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Apparently, that sentiment is not universal here!

Grant likes this.
  10. Black Thumb

If anyone can take a double dose of "Run Joey Run" and The Brady Variety Hour, it's the battle-scarred veterans who've just gone through '73 and '74. ;)

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

We're just gettin' started. There's more where that came from and at pole position to boot!

Jrr likes this.
  12. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That Disco Duck drek is forthcoming. That one takes the cheese award.

13. Hey Vinyl Man

And yet I'll still take this era over some of the stuff we'll have to wade through in the late '80s.

Dougd likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

A weird coincidence took place at this time in '75 with two different bands and their respective final chart songs. Both Three Dog Night and Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods had final chart singles whose titles proved to be prophetic.

Three Dog Night - Til The World Ends
    Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods - Our Last Song Together

I can spotlight one tune so I'll go with the obvious:

Grant likes this.
  15. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

All new entries on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of 2 August 1975, when 'One of These Nights' hit number one, sorted by the peak positions they would later reach:

David Geddes, Run Joey Run, peak # 4
    The Ritchie Family, Brazil, peak # 11
    Leon Russell, Lady Blue, peak # 14
    Carpenters, Solitaire, peak # 17
    The Doobie Brothers, Sweet Maxine, peak # 40
    Frank Sinatra, I Believe I’m Gonna Love You, peak # 47
    Evie Sands, I Love Makin’ Love To You, peak # 50
    The Blackbyrds, Flyin’ High, peak # 70
    The Grass Roots, Mamacita, peak # 71
    East L.A. Car Pool, Like They Say In L.A., peak # 72
    Christopher Paul and Sean, For Your Love, peak # 91

source: 1975

16. W.B.

Even more eerie: Both acts at this point were on ABC Records (3DN had been on Dunhill, but that label was deep-sixed in '75 and what was left of their roster - also including the Four Tops and some lad named Jimmy Buffett - were shifted to ABC, while their new "partner" label was Dot - er, ABC Dot).

17. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

This will blow your mind. My girlfriend grew up in Phoenix!

18. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Eternally I'm a week or two behind! :angel:

Shining Star

Whenever I hear about this group, I'm always reminded of the episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where Venus Flytrap is feeling like he's losing touch with his black identity because he hangs around with white people so much. He starts wearing really crazy 70s black outfits to the station as compensation. Jennifer sees him in the hall, looks him up and down, and comments wryly, 'Are you Earth, Wind or Fire?'

These guys really were all over the place in the late seventies. I've never been all that fond of their slower stuff. But September is one I find myself singing a lot. And I personally really like their take on the Beatles' Got To Get You Into My Life, which I recall the group had never even heard before recording their funky take on it. This is legit almost as good as the Fabs' version, and I say that VERY rarely.

Shining Star is one of the ones I like most. Not my favorite, but when a song this good gets to the top, I'm pleased!

Before the Next Teardrop Falls

I don't think I ever heard this on the radio back then, and rarely since. Even as far as "country" songs of the time go, it doesn't stand out.

Sorry, just not my bag, baby. Next!

Thank God I'm a Country Boy

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a John Denver fan, nor am I a country boy, but I kinda like this one. Not a lot, but a little. I think it's the fact that he seems to be having such a good time singing it. #1 hit? No, but then again, there are a lot of 1975 songs I would say that about, and as far as they go, this one's not half bad.

Interestingly, though, I've never thought of him as a 'country boy'. I guess 'folk boy' wouldn't have scanned as well...

Have we seen the below version of him singing the song yet? It's a spirited version, but it's the backing band that makes it truly special. I don't think I've ever seen the Man in Black look so happy.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Phoenix has a lot of strange people. It's not exactly a friendly place, either.

20. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now we have "Jive Talkin" by The Bee Gees, #1 from August 3 - August 16, 1975.

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And not a moment too soon!

Bevok and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

One of this great trio's last good songs before the disco rot set in.

23. Black Thumb

"Thank God I'm A Folkin' Boy" would've fit but wouldn't have passed Standards. :D

AppleBonker likes this.
  24. Hey Vinyl Man

Does anyone else recall for sure if the Bee Gees sang "Jive Talkin'" at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show in 1988? I remember watching that and - at the time - being disappointed that they didn't perform something from when they actually were on Atlantic (or ATCO if you want to be pedantic). In retrospect, though, it made more sense for them to play something upbeat for the festive occasion, and nothing from their ATCO catalog really fit that bill. I didn't much like "Jive Talkin'" then, but I do like it a lot now.

25. Black Thumb

Ah, the good old days when we were thrilled to have the Bee Gees back, a few years before we thought they'd never go away, and a few decades before we sadly realized we'd never see them again ...

The legend goes that the "chunka-chunka" that propels "Jive Talkin'" was inspired by the sound their tires made crossing the bridge to get to Criteria Studios in Miami, where they were making the album.

And apparently the first bunch of promos they sent to radio didn't have Bee Gees on the label, so low had their Top 40 appeal sunk.

In any event, their hits are gonna start rollin' in!