Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, maybe EH read this thread. We should sue for unpaid work.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Unnatural? It's a purely mechanical sound. As least on Jimi's records.

3. Shipping would be free anyway on Amazon, you don't need to be Prime to get it for this item.

4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Oh yeah, the $35 limit! It's been so long since I had to think about it, I forgot!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Non prime free shipping just sits there for days.

Its an insult.

Take your business elsewhere

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Has anyone compared the sonics on the mono "STP/LSD" from the box set with any other (CD) sources? I forget where else I have the mono mix, but if the reissued box set is a sonic improvement, I might be (more) tempted to re-buy it.

7. John Harchar

I just compared it to the one from the Singles Album CD. It's...marginally better sonically, a little more open sounding. I bought it as a download since I had the purple box since it came out, for completeness sake. It does do a weird shift in my headphones from one ear to the other right as it starts, does anyone else have this?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I noticed that my order placed as soon as it went up on amazon.com shows that it has a release date of Nov 9 but the delivery date is still pending. Both my Dylan and Beatles sets show release day delivery dates so I wonder if this is going to be a case where not everyone gets theirs on release date for the Hendrix?

905 likes this.
  9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The eternal question... CD or vinyl... vinyl or CD... ?

10. John Harchar

I had that happen with me for Tolkien's Fall of Gondolin: they had a release date of Aug 30, but said they'd let me know when it would have a delivery date. A few weeks out, they let me know the delivery date would be...August 30. I suspect a whole bunch of people will be getting them on Nov. 9 while others as reb noted, may have theirs take a little while longer. But we'll see.

11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Vinyl, not even close!

At the very least you get to make a CD for yourself from the vinyl, I always struggle to do that in reverse :)

johnny q likes this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

d.) None of the Above

13. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Every Hendrix release I have purchased on Amazon has shipped the day of release. Never before. I have never been bothered because most have had the auto-rip feature available for me to listen to until I got the physical product.

14. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

CD!
    I can´t stand vinyl noise/crackle...
    LP´s are also generally too expensive, I think.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    fairies and privit1 like this.
  15. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Great. I'm not even sure if I own the full Ottawa, and I'm already stressing over whether I should replace it with the later release. (Speed issues drive me nuts.) :sweating:

Anyway -- thank you for response.

jhm likes this.
  16. John Harchar

And the mystery is solved via the news section of the Jimi Hendrix site:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: “Burning Of The Midnight Lamp” (7” EP, Mono)

Electric Ladyland is arguably Jimi Hendrix’s most authentic and personal work, a realization of music as “my personal diary — a release of all my inner feelings, aggression, tenderness, sympathy, everything” (as he said in an interview not long after the album’s release). To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the final album Hendrix issued during his lifetime, this 7” three-song EP offers the rare, original UK mono single mix of “Burning Of The Midnight Lamp,” that was originally prepared by Jimi Hendrix and Chas Chandler in 1967. The B-Side features the original, folded-mono mixes of “Crosstown Traffic” and “Gypsy Eyes” that were created by Reprise Records for a promotional 7” single, first released in 1968.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

BOG was released March 1970.

SG47 likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Just been listening to that along with a number of other Reprise / Classic pressings.

The only surprise being EH actually posted this on their own site, that has to be a first :)

Mystery? Never was one!

Great spot btw John.

J.Lucas likes this.
  19. John Harchar

Would’ve been so much easier to post this in the first place :)

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My amazon.com order is "Lady" as the artist and "Land" as the title. . . I ordered it before it was officially the new release.

21. Gordon Johnson

As pointed out up thread, the statements came from a other source. Looks like EH had them correct the initial claims and an edited version if what appears on the official site was used.

Let's hope this is a turning point from EH to present new releases in a clearer fashion.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

One, they sound like folddowns. Two, listen to the stereo folded down...does it differ other than perhaps a little bit tonally?

Additionally rather than trying to prove the unlikely, can anyone provide any evidence of any mono mixes being made? Why would they make mono mixes for just two songs - and then not use them in the UK which was behind much of the world in adopting stereo?

Again, think horses, not zebras.

Lownote30, Tommyboy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It depends upon your definition of rare, I suppose. The true mono mix of Burning is available on a 50 year old, low selling 45 and an out of print, limited edition box set. I’d say that qualifies as “rare” for most other than the most ardent of Hendrix fans.

Mr. Explorer, mikew and Laservampire like this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Don’t bet on it. Music ad copy has been intentionally and unintentionally incorrect for eons. The much bigger surprise is they corrected it, not that it was incorrect originally.

Mr. Explorer and Laservampire like this.
  25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

All CD issues and vinyl reissues of the mono STPw/LSD I've compared sound poor, and so does the original Track 45. The only good sounding source I've heard is the French Barclay 7". Same story as the mono AYE, possibly not by coincidence!

Chris M and Tuck1977 like this.