50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Maybe if Paul had covered Ringo's kit in flowers, he would have written a few paragraphs.

tinnox and Bern like this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

So is the "Imagine" box great because you've heard it or ........

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

That would be a lie.
    More like I buried John or George's guitars. The bass and the drums are always more prominent in a Giles remix!

AFOS, tinnox, nikh33 and 3 others like this.
  4. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

How would I know if I hadn't heard it?

I don't claim to be psychic as some on here appear to be.

I'm not the only John Lennon fan I know where I live, I have friends who have the box set, friends who visit me and me them. So yes I've heard it and don't question me again.

Beatle Ed, AFOS and tinnox like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Love the Esher Back in the USSR! It's sounds awesome!

6. Dr. Pepper

My thoughts as well!

tinnox and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I think we will benefit from the entire Esher being released in 2018 vs. 1995.

8. Dr. Pepper

Nice!

9. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Ah we need another song before release date! I predict either Helter Skelter or Dear Prudence

Beatle Ed, tinnox and Yovra like this.
  10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I don't know how serious George was or wasn't about the lyrics. Whether it's more tongue in cheek or not.

But it's such a brilliant little piece of baroque Beatles pop Imo.

I actually just read somewhere, Rolling Stone album review I believe. That bluntly called Piggies hands down, the worst song on the album. I've read numerous times in recent years, of other fans & critics being either dismissive of, or hostile about the song.

It blows my mind. To me Piggies is brilliant, or at least clever & melodic. It sounds very much like a lost Revolver track to me. In fact digressing for just a moment. There are several 68 Beatles songs, with touches of the 66-67 songs, that could almost be a stand alone 11-12 song album. Cry Baby Cry, Martha My Dear, Piggies, Lady Madonna, Across Universe + a couple more. Just a bit of that psychedelic period left in them.

Although Geo Martin was on holiday for the Piggies tracking sessions, Chris Thomas filled in nicely, & Martin returned in time, to write that baroque & Beatley orchestral part. Chris Thomas on harpsichord was great too.

Anyway you seem to say the song isin't meaningless, & I agree !

It's my 2nd fave of the 7 Harrison tracks recorded in 68. Though I like all his 68 tracks. I'm not disputing that everybody has their own opinion, I'm just surprised a lot of people think Piggies isin't great. When I make a 12-14 song tracklist dividing the white album into 2 albums. Piggies is my top 10 Everytime.

Or lately, just give me Piggies, Martha & Cry Baby Cry, 3 of the least loved tracks, & I'll combine it with the other 7-8 non LP tracks, Universe, Madonna,Hey Jude, etc & I'll make 1 killer extra album ! & Just throw Not Guilty, Mary Jane onto White, to it as a double LP..

11. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

:pineapple:

12. Dr. Pepper

I like it too, but then again I like every track on the Whole Album and wouldn't change a thing!

13. BillTubes

BillTubes Well-Known Member

:edthumbs:
    Hopin video is Dear Prudence. My favorite WA track

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Savoy Truffle"?!

tinnox and dewey02 like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Preference?
    "Original UK MONO Pepper"
    Same here. Although I've noticed quite a few here prefer Stereo for everything. Mono has been tainted like black n white movies disdain. More monos for me to collect. :D

tinnox and coffeetime like this.
  16. stevechang64

stevechang64 Forum Resident

Well frankly I was a little disappointed in the Imagine box set. My set contained 2 blu rays and 4 cd’s. Upon opening the box I was estatic at so much content. But the moment I looked at the track listing my eye caught ‘ Imagine take 10 ‘ listed three or four times. That’s when I realized the content on the 4 cds is the same as the 2 blu rays. But even then it seemed like the same takes were repeated a few times for reasons I cannot understand. I wish they had put several different imagine takes instead of repeating a few of the takes. Additionally some of the elements mixes were not complete and more like a sample. Why?

But having said that the stunning voice of Lennon never disappoints whether it’s the polished final mix or the simple early take. His voice particularly moves me because he was such an incredible man who came from nowhere and achieved so much and even up to the last interview before his death was so honest and still witty and funny which I can’t find another celebrity with the same approachable manner despite being such an incredible superstar. I miss him and can’t believe how long it has been since we’ve lost him.

17. alexpop

It occurred to me TWA has no standards on it, songs that people cover ( a lot) suppose Hey Jude would have fitted the bill if it had been included. Heck even Help! had Michelle. Saying that perhaps that's why TWA has kept good stead, current ..fresh all this time.

BeatlesBop and tinnox like this.
  18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Dear prudence and while my gtr gently weeps I'd consider standards and have been covered plenty of times

tinnox likes this.
  19. alexpop

Not on same level as Yesterday, Michelle..imo.

Something" i'd defime as a standard.

tinnox likes this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well Doc, if you don't change stuff around, at least in mental excersises, you can't do all these cool things, like remixes, Outfakes & bonus tracks !!

You like all 30 equally ? Probably a McCartney song most of all ?

Here's a key point regardless of Piggies, & how great it is, or isn't.

The 30 White album songs, is really in mm view, more like 45 songs, roughly. What you say ???

Well

1-Hey Jude
    2-Revolution#2
    3-Lady Madonna
    4-Inner Light
    5-Across Universe
    6-Hey Bulldog
    7-Not Guilty
    8-New Mary Jane
    9-Step Inside Love
    10-Sour Milk Sea
    11-Can You Take mback
    12-Junk
    13-Circles
    14-Mickle Moose Christmas
    15-Jock & Yono pool table
    16-You Know My Name
    17-Goodnight alternate harmonies
    19-Revolution #18 or #20
    20-Helter Skelter alternate long or acoustic
    21-Gently Weeps best alternate
    22-Ob la di bla da best alternate
    23-Blue Moon/I Don't Care medley
    24-Let It Be 68

I mean there is 54 bonafide 68 tracks... I think there are a few more.....it's like a whole career from one albums worth of sessions ! Or one year. There's a solid 45 studio tracks, 40 songs & 3-4 alternates that are, totally different from the standard version.

It's neat what Apple has done, but the possibilities are mind boggling.

tinnox and John Inglis like this.
  21. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Subtlety and political correctness are different concepts. Btw, I agree with the reviewer, subtle it is really not. But nobody complained about pc or the lack of it.

tinnox likes this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He didn't come from 'nowhere' he came from the city of Liverpool which is definitely somewhere.

Drewzel, bobcat, aoxomoxoa and 8 others like this.
  23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Michelle is on Rubber Soul, not Help!

bobcat, Lewisboogie, tinnox and 4 others like this.
  24. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Incredible.

25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yeah I heard it on Apple Music and hearing the harmonies are superb.

tinnox likes this.