Pet Sematary (2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Binni, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Why does it look so devoid of color? Does this film take place in The Matrix? :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd be happy to see this movie remade. The first one's budget was bargain basement.

SandAndGlass and GentleSenator like this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I'm generally pretty anti-remake, but I'm kind of glad to see remakes of some of these King stories. The originals may be scary, but it's pretty much a given that the acting was atrocious and the budgets were pretty low.

Matthew Tate and Ghostworld like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The Zelda scenes in the original did creep me out when I saw the original.

I loved the book. I'd say it, along with "The Shining", were the King novels that most scared me.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Once again proof of my "Scary Old Crone" theory. :p

6. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

One of King's zippiest, roller-coaster ride-esque novels; loved it. The movie was terrible. I think it's a tricky one to get right, since the book (for King standards) whips by so quickly, the film easily fell into the usual horror tropes and came off as cartoonish, instead of establishing a true sense of dread. Best of luck on this second try; hope it's good; the book deserves it, so to speak.

P(orF), bpmd1962 and Karnak like this.
  7. It’s the
    After plus if it worked
    as an author of 7 of those screenplays (2 that got optioned, were going to get made and then put into turnaround) I can vouch for that! It’s “can you make it more like (whatever the latest flavor of the year is)?

The book made me quite sad. Anything with kids that die is too difficult for me to watch.the film, Fred Gwynn’s aside, was mediocre

8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

The cat in the original was freakier.

beat_truck and Dude111 like this.
  9. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

I liked the book when I read it as a teenager, and the movie was ok, but I don't think I'm too in to it now. I am reading "Doctor Sleep," the sequel to "The Shining" and its ok as well, but not nearly as fresh and scary as the original.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I had one option offer two years ago and the producers were like "This is fantastic! It's brilliant! We love it! Now can you take our notes and completely rewrite it?" Guys, if you love something so much, why do you want me to tear it apart? So I said I need $7k for rewrite (probably should have asked for more, but that's what Tartan Films paid me for a rewrite years ago) and they balked (natch) and so I walked away. I'm no greenhorn. Agent was pissed. screw it. The first thing they taught us at USC was: there will always be lots of people in Hollywood in love with your work... if you're willing to do it for them for free i.e. DON'T give it away. So I don't You don't say to your ****ing car mechanic, "Nice job, but could you tune the engine and change the tires?" and expect if for free. My time is my time. And I'm not tearing up something I worked on for six months because you paid some 20-year old reader $40 for notes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Karnak, enro99 and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I'd see this-just wish it was out next month instead of April.

12. Binni

Binni Forum Resident Thread Starter

The latest teaser for Pet Sematary offers a first look at Zelda.

13. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Will be seeing it for sure.

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw Shazam! today, but I plan on seeing this movie too, probably next week.. Liked the original and am curious how this one is. Also, I'm a fan of Lithgow.

15. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Found the original movie very disturbing. In fact I was on a date with now wife at the time. She was already freaked out by the animal deaths but when she saw the child deaths coming she just got up and walked out and I followed her.

Now with kids of my own there is no way I would go see this movie.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It was a cheaply made movie and it looked it. Fred Gwynne's performance was the highlight of the movie.

The new remake looks like they are doing the book justice this time.

That was the thing that I found extremely irritating!

Family drives down a two lane road, turns off the road, brings their car a good distance into their driveway, family gets out of the car, the kids see their new house for the first time and this truck goes by, with the audio pegged.

I really hate when they bring up sound levels to where it is not realistic at all.

A truck driving by a house just doesn't sound like that.

I just ask myself, are they going to keep doing crap like this, throughout the movie.

"Let's really impress them, we'll turn the sound up all the way, here, and here..."

I did plan on making this post before reading your comment stuwee!

stuwee likes this.
  17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It had a Rotten Tomatoes score in the 80s earlier this week, but now it’s in the mid-60s. And the audience score is in the low 50s. Pass...

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ah man; I hate Stephen King so much. Somehow Hollywood managed to adapt his books for the big screen just nicely. I remember the original; went to the movies to watch it. Disappointing.

SammyJoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

The originals are always best somethings just can’t be remade but I saw the previews on and am thinking about checking it out.

SandAndGlass and SammyJoe like this.
  20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I wanna be with you> :)

21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I will definitely see the remake eventually. I absolutely loved the original.

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Almost always the original is the best and preferred version but every generation needs their own remakes and so it’s sometimes evident how few fresh ideads there are as so much remakes are being made and old ideas recycled.
    They surely think that with newer technology and effects you would be ending up with better film, but no really most of the remakes just aren’t needed.
    The book was great (scary indeed) and the original movie was done the way it was meant and I liked it. Sure it was on cheap budget but I didn’t care.
    Not that interested about this new Pet Sematary, it must be similar to the recent ”It”, which I checked from Netflix. The new version sucked and you can’t top the originals Pennywise played by Tim Curry.
    Might even check the new PS but I probably won’t be missing much if it won’t be on Netflix (or other similar streaming-service) some point.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Texastoyz and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

"Sometimes Dead is Better"

And Sometimes, the Original Movie is Better(although I think the New Version(Part 1) of 'IT' was Awesome but YMMV).

I might check out the New Version of Pet Semetery. Only watched the original 6-7 years ago on YouTube.

24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm not sure why they think another Ring style 'long haired scary girl' will be better then the little kid in the book. Aren't there 100 of those movies out there already? And Jason masks as well...

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It is creepy to the max. Acting is not wooden.

This one will scare you more.

Extremely depressing. Right decision.

Don't think so. This is one freaky cat.

Wise decision. Definitely not a family oriented movie. I would not bring any elementary school age child to see this movie. And, I consider myself to be pretty liberal in this regard. I think most family reviews and cautionary warnings are for the birds.

Yea, as it turns out, they do this kind of overly loud audio crap throughout the movie.

Ghostworld, Martinn and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.