Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Me too. I enjoyed it a the time. I pulled it out some years later, and the instrumentation sounds dated and
    even amateurish for my liking these days. May be just the 90's digital sound that puts me off.
    Still love 'Amnesia' though.

melstapler likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Ray Harris was a first generation rocker who recorded for Sun Records and later started Hi Records. Harris has his own thread on this forum and it's a big hit.
    Ray Harris - rockabilly legend recorded for Sun, Hi Records founder

The Ray Harris recording 'Greenback Dollar' (alternate version) was featured on Vol. 17 of the "That'll Flat Git It" compilation series.
    [​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I saw an article that said we are in a golden age of box sets. The writer seems to be talking about premium priced sets of superstars like Dylan and The Beatles.

It seems to me that we are in the dark ages of collector's box sets, with only an occasional set being issued by anyone not a superstar.

I am glad that I ordered the Bobbie Gentry set from England, as Amazon does not appear to stock it at all now that the official USA release date is here.

Richard Weize, where are you?

4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

True, with BF slowing and Mosaic all but folding earlier this year. And it looks like they might be focusing their efforts on larger names, as with the upcoming Herman set.

5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Real cowboy ballad by a new artist:

Country music is not dead yet!:tiphat:

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

That's right! A thread about him:
    Colter Wall

melstapler likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I always find it interesting to "meet" people with interest in BOTH Bear Family and Mosaic.

You have to be open-minded. Most music fans tend to have fairly narrow taste, though they may allow a few representatives of other styles in their collection.

I have a sense that the thing that may be killing both Bear and Mosaic is not the general decline of CDs, but rather a limited availability of licenses to reissue at a reasonable cost to Bear and Mosaic. The corporate owners are getting greedy.

munjeet, RSteven, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Men and women of great taste and high standards.

melstapler likes this.
  9. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

I have Mossaic and Bear Family both Excellent Re-issuers , this week finally got one I've been after for a few years Mosaics Django Rinehart , brilliant sound quality

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  10. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

I think we need to clone Richard Weize , he had the Knowledge and Verve and Drive and Passion to follow through over many years to get these sets off the launch pad , and completed . and Charles Woolfe was a Genius in Box Set Liner Note Writing.. as George Jones Sang ... "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes ?

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

It must be very frustrating for reissue companies like Bear and Mosaic, etc., these guys are really keen on the music they want to put out there and if they're stifled by corporate execs just looking at the cash element then that's a real shame.

It's called 'the music business', I just wish the emphasis was on 'music' and not 'business'.

12. Rick Bartlett

Me Too Killer.
    :cry:

RSteven, melstapler and The Killer like this.
  13. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

It's not so much that they're getting greedy. The majors are so immensely big now that they often simply can't cope with demands for licenses. When Bear Family did the Complete Chuck Berry box it did get delayed because Universal couldn't come up with the paperwork for the license contract (which was already signed). US offices didn't "have the time" to list the details for 300+ titles, and the European office didn't want to do two weeks of number crunching for something their US partners get paid for. Another company recently requested 180 songs from Universal, and they OK'ed 90 of these. They would love to license the rest also – but due to the recent mergers with other companies they didn't have the required paperwork for these tracks in their archive. (The project got cancelled as a result.)

turnersmemo, RSteven, Mr. H and 7 others like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Was this the Patsy Cline scenario?

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. I'd be curious to learn more about Richard. Does he have any children and if so, are they continuing his legacy in the world of reissues?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

No. The Patsy set was cancelled because someone didn't want to license the material.

RSteven, melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Thanks Mychael for the reply. Such a shame!

RSteven, spanky1 and melstapler like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Scientists will tell you that clones may look alike, but will have completely different personalities

melstapler likes this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's my point. Some refuse to license, some charge too much, some want to limit it, etc.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Svein Arne

Osborne Brothers cd box:

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

22. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ace rather than Bear, but still one of the finest surviving documents of live country from the 60's.

23. Svein Arne

ACE is the second record company i buy most of after Bear Family my music that is being reissued.

24. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Yet Richard and me did get a credit for the cover picture :pineapple:

The Killer, RSteven, Mr. H and 6 others like this.
  25. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

Louvin Brothers is still my fave of all time.