David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The original press release said there would be a hi res release but no breakdown of what would be included. I seem to remember the last set was delayed by a day or two last year so it may appear later

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Awful. Did you get that message in a bottle from another stranded UPS employee ?

[​IMG]

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

1) backlash because the CDs are compressed and not audiophile-friendly
    2) backlash because of possibile mastering mistakes and/or tape problems transferred to the new digital masters
    3) backlash because NLMD18 is useless
    4) backlash because some rarity has been left out
    5) backlash because the live albums don't contain [insert title of favorite song] or because the setlist of the concert I attended in [insert date] was much more interesting
    6) backlash because Amazon is sending the package late
    7) backlash because the RCAs can't be bettered
    8) backlash because, you know, in the end this is '80s Bowie

snipe, pablorkcz, Colinjpush and 6 others like this.
  4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I've just been sampling via Spotify and listening to just a few songs (or the opening bars) reminds me why I hate 80s music in general, not just 80s Bowie. Slick, polite, soulless. The Serious Moonlight live album sounds pretty good. Always quite liked "Bang Bang", not sure why. Intrigued to hear the remake of NLMD. But at this moment glad I did not spring for the CD box, even though I have all the others. I guess I have discovered where my completest urge hits a red line: the 80s!

Michael D likes this.
  5. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Yeah, I was just listening the remake of NLMD on Spotify: hardly essential

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

The drums on the 87 live show seem to be mixed very loud, but I am listening on (quite good) PC speakers. Currently listening to Young Americans being pummelled into the ground.

7. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Am listening to the '83 live set just now on Spotify. It's a bit slick of course, but I'm enjoying Cat People (overly melodramatic Bowie at his best).

8. He is from Australia.If you don't know what that means with regards to Amazon look it up and then feel pity for us.

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Nothing in this box was ever on RCA.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They would have been better if the originals were released by RCA.

11. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

The original EMI Americas sound fantastic.

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Went into Saturn at 9.35am, no cd sets, asked at the counter and they only got 6 of 15 they had ordered and that didn’t even cover their store pre-orders, so they’ve reserved one for me when they get more in, they are hoping to get them by the end of next week.

They did have one vinyl box but I was waiting to hear the cd’s before I decide if I’m going to spring for that.

Totti is god likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, mine was just delivered.

I've had a quick look, and as usual they've done a great job of making the thing feel sturdy and well put together. Discs are gold, as usual. Only drawback in mine is a slight indentation on the cover of Tonight, it's a shame, but not something I'd send it back for. Everything else is looking good.

I'm going to go for a listen of Let's Dance now. Why? Because clearly I am having a good day, and could do with bringing down. :D

johnnyyen, Runicen, Dbstay and 2 others like this.
  14. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Agreed. I had the vinyl box on pre-order, then sat back and wondered why? I doubt I've played the originals of any of these in over 20 years; I certainly wouldn't buy them as stand-alone reissues; I hate the idea of any artist's work being revised when they're no longer around to "get it right"; and my one favourite song from the entire period, "Absolute Beginners," seems only to be present in its bloated, over-saxed 12-inch form.

I'll put the money aside for the Tin Machine box.

WeeSam and windfall like this.
  15. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I still play Let's Dance very occasionally, maybe once a year in the car. I do like the three big singles and enjoy them if they come on a pub jukebox or the radio. I consider it the last of the classic run of albums.

Can't remember the last time I listened to Tonight or NLMD all the way through: 30 years ago...?

For the live stuff : I've got an external HD which has flacs of just about every available Bowie show on it (I often prefer listening to live recordings). I can't remember the last time I listened to a Serious Moonlight or Glass Spider show. The horn and sax arrangements replacing classic Bowie riffs are beyond annoying (for me). I'm one of the few people that preferred the hollowed out S+V tour band and Bowie's fkced up voice to the sound of the previous two tours (and that's saying something)

Listened to NLMD2018 last night on Spotify. Removing the 80s glitz has not made it better. It's just made a naff glitzty record a naff dull record. The music is far too empty for Bowie's OTT high energy vocals. Its the sonic equivalent of a cut and shut banger.

Once is enough for that.

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Phew. Okay, so one Let's Dance later....

I don't have the original CD to hand, and I'm not inclined to run numbers right at this moment - I want to enjoy the box as it stands. That said, this CD is pretty loud. On checking, the original CD was DR14, this version is DR8. It sounds DR8 too.

As for the album itself - what a weird record. It has some vocal performances which aren't the greatest, such as some of the obvious strain on Modern Love and Without You. Let's Dance, a track I like, is probably better in a cut down version, imo. Still, side one is kind of a "hits" package.

Side 2 is where the interesting stuff is. Richochet is amazing. Criminal World is better than either Modern Love or China Girl, and while Cat People is inferior to the soundtrack version, it's still a good song. However, nothing - and I mean nothing - can justify Shake It. It's scary to think it's also on Dance.

All in all then, it's obviously compressed, and I'd wager a good number of people are going to find this fatiguing. I'm okay right now, but reading posts by others on the forum I'm certain there'll be some angst. As an album, Let's Dance is a weird mash-up of pop Bowie, experimental Bowie (at least in the context of working with Nile Rodgers) and then some throwaway thing they salvaged from the cutting room floor (seemingly).

Onwards and upwards!

17. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I just checked and my delivery estimate is October 25 - October 31. I have Prime so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. JB HiFi wanted $540 for the set but I got it on Amazon.AU for $325.

iloveguitars likes this.
  18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Since mine apperently does not arrive until the 17th, I decided to buy two Iggy Pop albums (the idiot and lust for life). At least I will be able to compare some of the material of Let's Dance and Tonight with the original versions.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Those are wonderful and will never bore.

SoundDoctor and TonyCzar like this.
  20. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

This mob are truly reprehensible and inept. I’m venting to [email protected] to get the Australia ban overturned and I urge you to do so as well. I have never had a preorder honoured on release day. They’re usually cancelled or delayed months.

21. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Since Amazon messed up my order and even after I contacted them twice about the shipping yesterday couldn't tell me when my LP-Boxset will be delivered, I cancelled my order, made a few phone calls to some local stores and got my confirmation that I can pick it up this evening.
    I ll cost me more than on amazon but well....
    Let's crawl the time while dancing with the Alien (2018)

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Before anyone made a single comparison.

BlueSpeedway and WeeSam like this.
  23. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’m still not entirely sure whether I’m getting this or not. It’s simultaneously showing as cancelled-long story to do with gift cards/and expected by 9pm.

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Morning has broken, and it doesn't look like the Alien is landing in hi-res anywhere this week.

On the 24-bit download front - that's all I've bought except the odd breakout book or re:call - my "consumer experience" (not necessarily the sonic one) is now 0 for 4.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I guess this box will cause some indignation, then.
    But don't look back in anger :nyah: