50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

With all due respect & candor. Giles Martin is a 50 year old guy. He's engineered & produced records for decades. He is a musician, trained, can read music, & has the ability to write orchestral scores, he has a lot of varied skills.

If Sgt Pepper's 50th mix suffers from over compression added to both individual tracks & also the entire mix, it may or not be Giles Martin's fault or responsibility.

Here's how I look at this thing with Giles Martin. Yes somebody like Tony Hicks in particular, or other skilled engineers, might've had better skills or grasp of that one issue, arguably.

But the Beatles & Apple I believe, also considers the following. This is a long term appointment, not a one off job. Giles trained for decades as musician, engineer, orchestrator, producer. He does know Beatles diplomacy & record business etiquette & diplomacy since childhood. He was groomed for this, knowingly or not.

Giles is on personal terms with Ringo & Paul, he certainly knows Olivia & Yoko personally also.

This is a guy that abides by the rules & non disclosure agreements. He's comfortable in the role of employee, & semi curator of the Beatles Apple archives.

Perhaps the torch was passed in 05-06, when Giles & dad Sir George & Tony Hicks, did the wildly successful & acclaimed Beatles LOVE album. Giles also has a hand in overseeing, updating the ongoing Beatles LOVE with Cirque Du Soilel.

Martin has produced, engineered, curated, mixed, Scorsese's Harrison documentary, Harrison's early takes vol 1 album. Produced quite a few Paul McCartney tracks such as those on NEW in 2013. He also acted as the excecutive producer on NEW by overseeing the flow of songs from 4 different producers. Giles also oversaw the Beatles Rockband in 2008/9. He had a big hand in the audio for Ron Howard's Beatles-Eight Days A Week Film. In 2016, & Beatles 1+ in 2015.

I don't know offhand if Giles has ever worked a Ringo album or for Yoko on a Lennon compilation. Yoko has a guy Rob Stevens who oversees all his stuff, except when Jack Douglas has done it. Ringo for years since Mark Hudson, has used a guy Bruce Sugar.

My point is Giles Martin has gone through a long litmus test, where over compression on Sgt Pepper's is only about 1 of a hundred major points.

They trust the guy, he's family, well trained & skilled, look at all those projects I listed, Rockband, LOVE, Living in Material World, Sgt Pepper, White album 50, 1+, Eight Days A Week.

Maybe a Tony Hicks or Steve Wilson ( arguably ) has a better talent in very specific areas, regarding remixing a classic album.

This is kind of a lifetime appointment, passed down father to son, after decades of apprentice training.

If Tony Hicks is the guy responsible for making Beatles LOVE sound so fantastic, then I agree, he has the best ear, so far, for remixing the catalogue. But Giles is still pretty decent with O'kell, & that's what we got. They opted for one skilled guy, they trust to oversee the whole catalogue long term. Not to pick a new team each project.

Maybe occasionally they'll continue to bring a Tony Hicks, or various engineers from Abbey Road, into help out, or do certain things under Giles Martin's management.

I don't think a minority opinion among Beatles fans, engineers or audiophiles is going to dislodge Giles Martin.

He is 50, maybe at 60 they'll force him into retirement, for some younger ears, to hear 4 6 8 & 12 K...

I agree maybe someone else has a better ear. But overall he's their guy, he has a lot of varied skills in the engineering--production area, & he's trusted apparently.

2. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Any new info, specific reviews, clips, anything about the mixes or bonus tracks ? Really dry last day or two

tinnox likes this.
  4. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Paul Hicks. Tony Hicks is the guitarist in The Hollies. Pretty good on the guitar but not sure about his engineering capabilities!

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

When did Tony Hicks leave his version of the Hollies and start working as an engineer?. I think you mean his son, Paul.

6. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Just seen the first advert for the box set, on the back of the new Record Collector magazine (November issue).

I've tried posting a photo here but my phone won't let me. Anyway it's the four photos, as on the cover of the box, with the multiple versions listed below. Very simple but effective.

BeatleJWOL and tinnox like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

4 More Weeks PLUS 1 Day:

[​IMG]

;)

8. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I agree, the engines really propel the song in the new mix. It's very exciting. I think I'm going to like this more than I did the Pepper remix.
    Interesting to hear Paul going on at the end. I like that it was brought out. I am am generally a "don't screw with a classic" kind of guy, but I am interested in revisions only if the original is always available.

9. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Thanks I will give that a go.

tinnox likes this.
  10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

They should rerelease the anthologies and take up the deficit- i.e.all the Blackpool nights out, royal palladium, Swedish pop show et al. Felt short changed first time round.

tinnox likes this.
  11. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

When you’re in a record store with music blaring around you, it’s not the easiest thing to work out exactly what’s going on here:

[​IMG]

12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

He is putting all his notes into a song for his next album... ;)

planckera, tinnox and forthlin like this.
  13. Dustin Forever, Ringo Never!

(not really ;) )

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

He's a real somewhere man!

johnny moondog 909 and tinnox like this.
  15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, it’s been very quiet since last week to possibly give some space to the Imagine release. Hopefully the WA50 campaign will pick up again next week with more interviews, podcasts, previews, the promo video, etc. They haven’t really let anything out of the bag yet besides the USSR versions and the snippet of Helter Skelter.

alexpop and tinnox like this.
  16. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

And it fits nicely in the middle of the "animals section" of the tracklist.

I suppose EGSTHEMAMM didn't make it here because it's a bit too... raucous?

johnny moondog 909 and tinnox like this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

There may not be much difference
    between Giles Martin and Steve Hoffman
    if we bottle their tears

pablo fanques, Tom Daniels and tinnox like this.
  19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He is 49. Has been for a couple of days.

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's too quiet here. Let's talk about Giles' cricket scores.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

tinnox and Beatlebug like this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Then we can look forward to a Super Deluxe 50th Anniversary Edition of Giles in about 363 days!

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That was me ... ;)

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

MAF :laugh:

tinnox likes this.
  25. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

But it won't have the definitive Giles Martin mastering or anything.

tinnox likes this.