Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

You can always find people who share your musical perspective, so it's not like a lonesome alien visiting planet Earth for the first time by himself who is completely unfamiliar with the music each of us enjoy. In the bigger scheme of things, I'm far more concerned with material going OOP and being lost and forgotten.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Peace bro.

Grant likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm banned from there, lol. I started using that site and started posting there probably . . . 2009ish? And then I was finally banned 2 or 3 years ago. I don't get along well with people who are negatively judgmental . . . or "sensitive" . . . or who are control freaks, and there's a ton of all of that on that site and the forum, unfortunately. That's one of the things I like about the best new album threads here. It's mostly people just being positive and enthusiastic about music, wanting to share stuff they're enjoying, wanting to point out what they're enjoying about it, etc.

4. Toomanydogs

Toomanydogs Forum Resident

More Ethiopian jazz!

dlemaudit, fenderesq and panasoffkee like this.
  5. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Well said.

I can't imagine someone's musical tastes being so unorthodox that it would not interest at least one other person here (if not several). Or at the very least might be appreciated by other posters who can at least relate to the tastes of the listener in question.

As mentioned, I'm continually amazed at the scope of variety of artists and genres discussed here that have nothing to do with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Prince.

And this coming from someone who is actually more happy to stay largely immersed in the latter artists! :)

melstapler likes this.
  6. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

OH Yeah!!

Toomanydogs likes this.
  7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

As long as you remember laughter you're good :)

8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

As a European guy from the Netherlands at the age of 53 with a love for flamenco, European jazz, but also The Beatles and pop-rock from the ‘70s and ‘80s I feel at home here quite often. It’s easy to skip the Kiss/Led Zeppelin/Nirvana-threads.

melstapler likes this.
  9. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Grant - you know me from the Billboard #1 hits thread.

I happen to be a Gen-Xer (born in 1967, so early in that group) whose had one parent (45 years older) who listened to big band and Lawrence Welk (on the one hand), and the other parent (39 years older) who listened to Boston Pops/Herb Alpert/Bert Kaempfert. There aren't too many people my age who fit that profile, I'd guess.

Had older siblings from which I got most of my love of '60s and very early '70s music, up to about 1971. Almost everything after that point in time, I discovered outside of my family -- some of it completely on my own (either by the radio, or by my own explorations buying used LPs), and other things via friends.

I find that I like a lot of things that never got the time of day when it was out, it only became popular later. Or it was popular in a different country than the US. I notice that a lot of people my age (and a little older) are strongly wedded to things that were popular in their memory, at the time and place they were at. I'm not that beholden to my memories.

So, a lot of times, maybe for some reasons I have stated above, I find the majority of these threads to be relatively narrow in scope.

The main benefit I get out of this forum is that, more times than I can count, I have learned of a re-release of which I am interested -- which I would not have heard of otherwise. So that satisfies that part of my music interest. There are a lot of other interests of mine for which very few threads exist (almost anything post-1990, for example), but those threads have dedicated followers (e.g., 2018 new releases).

Prism and Grant like this.
  10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm well represented! At the same time, I'm glad that there are those who are not representative of me because they lead me in new directions, and I'm grateful for that. Diversity is a wonderful thing!

Grant, Ignatius and fenderesq like this.
  11. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I'd guess I'm easily 20 years younger than the average member here, so I don't expect my perspective/taste to align with the majority. I also don't think that music peaked in the 60s/70s or that people in 200 years will care about classic rock from the 60s/70s.

12. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

Didn't you see the thread... How Paul McCartney Has Been Influenced By Ethiopian Jazz?

Presently there are 73,284 comments posted. "More Cowbell" was the overwhelming consensus.

I believe there's a course given at *The Berklee School of Music devoted to the question.

*The campus in Hard Luck, Utah. Professor Bob Spitz is the Guest Lecturer, the mastermind and Master of Ceremonies.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Prism, Toomanydogs and Ignatius like this.
  13. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

Adjunct professor for the coming semester's class it's just announced will be Murray The K.

14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Look at his history, you will find out anything you want about Grant, he has well over 1000,000 posts.
    You might even find some of us contradicting ourselves...:)

15. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Well, this forum’s membership has a marked demographic which I don’t remotely belong to, so obviously, most of the times my opinions are quite different to the majority, for instance, I think Lady Gaga is a much better artist than, say, Karen Carpenter.

When I joined I thought this was going to be a more diversified forum. Certainly there are a lot of threads of artists going on, but I’d say that 97% of the music discussed here is white boy rock from the 60s and 70s. I’m learning to live with it though.

That being said, I enjoy this forum and its discussions very much although its members live in a bubble :D

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, it is your valid opinion, but...:wtf:

Ho-boy! If I had posted this, I would have been reported in no time! It's happened before.

Yup!:agree:

Terrapin Station likes this.
  17. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Me too. Your post hits the nail on the head.

Grant and Black Magic Woman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.