Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Target has the LP set for $24. Finally a reasonable price.

Davidmk5 and MLutthans like this.
  2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

4. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

One more week ....:goodie:

RSteven likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I think that, had the recording continued, Frank would have certainly simplified (that may not be exactly the word -- maybe streamlined or made to "cut to the chase") the loping/stumbling/tripping moments of that intro. It certainly comes across as awkward or "struggling to fit" in its early form, to my ears.

Had the arrangement been shaped and polished and made to sound unforced -- something which I think was a possibility, had they put the time into it -- I suspect it would have fit pretty well, kind of a Washed-up Loser's Lament sort of thing. (What are the words at the end? "There I'll be, while I rot with the rest of those whose lives are lonely, too." Something like that. Seems to be a good thematic fit.)

6. Bob F

Yes. From: Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

7. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Of course not but it’s easy to tell what stores will sell it by checking their websites, Best Buy, etc.

8. Bob F

I’ve reported Target’s price to Amazon. Amazon sometimes drops its price to match at the last minute before release (or shortly after). It’s also worth checking Target’s Sunday adverts for extra in-store release week discounts.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, don't forget that the Stereo original mixdown tapes have some dropouts and tape damage on a few tracks, and there's a major spliced insert from a safety copy on "One For My Baby" past some time in the 1970's. And if your system is reasonably good, and you have a trained ear, you can hear it. Go to the linked MLutthans pages on "Only The Lonely" for further explanations. My Alan Dell UK LP has those dropouts too.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, along the way there was tape damage, many dropouts, and a spliced in insert on "One For My Baby" from a safety copy. This was done sometime in the 1970's.

mikrt17 likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My apologies for this little side-step, but since you brought up this great old Bix B. song, I thought that you'd like to hear this song recording more modernly, by a young guy who runs a small record label and is all about that great old music. I actually own a newly pressed 78 rpm of this guy (Bryan Wright) and his official studio recording of "In A Mist" ...

IN A MIST by Bix Beiderbecke - Bryan Wright, piano

Bryan's 78 rpm record ...

Bix Beiderbecke's Modern Piano Suite [78 rpm]

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I prefer 1957 on this one. Being a fool to want someone, also means the bad and the battle scarred and when it's over or nearly so, or never happened. I heard Billie Holiday's version first on "Lady In Satin". And she had battle scars, nearly at the end of her life. Emotional as they get, hits you like 10 tons of TNT.

marmil likes this.
  13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The MFSL mono CD also has an insert on OfMB from a safety.

mikrt17 and McLover like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Probably likely the MFSL people chose the mono tape for technical reasons. As in less tape hiss. My 1983 UK Alan Dell LP has the insert of OfMB and the very audible hiss change. I suspect the remix is being done due to this.

15. MLutthans

To clarify: This is a mono-only issue. The stereo recording has no insert on One for My Baby.

McLover likes this.
  16. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Yeah, for a diverse group of mourners whose emotions might be in different places, probably better to have something a little less downbeat, as you note...

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree. Leaving it to Nat was the right choice.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

I wonder what % of listeners, even on this forum, would notice these dropouts and/or inserts if it was never pointed out.

50%, 75%? I say 99.9%.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  19. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The insert in "One For My Baby" is definitely noticeable on the MFSL CD.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks for that clarification. And yes, the Mobile Fidelity is a mono only.

21. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Yes it's very noticeable and I'm surprised they couldn't make a better job of the edit, there are ways now of fixing a lot of things seamlessly.

MLutthans and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  22. MLutthans

Their concurrently-released LP version likely sourced One for My Baby entirely from the safety, no? There's no audible change in sound quality at that same point, as I recall.

mikrt17 likes this.
  23. Bob F

With two days left until release, Target.com raised its vinyl pre-order price overnight (from $23.99 to $27.79).

24. Bob F

Of related interest:

From singer AJ Lambert's forthcoming tribute EP to grandfather Frank Sinatra's seminal 1958 concept album "Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely." The EP will be released 10/26/18, with 4 songs recorded in collaboration with pianist John Boswell and guitarist Greg Ahee of Protomartyr. Directed by AJ Lambert.

"Lush Life" did not appear on the original Sinatra album, but a rare outtake of the session is included on the reissue, to be released Friday 10/19 through UME.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    crooner, DmitriKaramazov and RSteven like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Wow, that piano intro has to be one of the most idiosyncratic pieces of music that Bill Miller ever played for Mr. Sinatra. I find Frank's voice to be simply majestic and it sent chills down my spine in a good way, but you could tell Frank was not comfortable with the song yet, to say the least. I agree with the sentiment expressed in the article that Frank just needed some more time with Nelson Riddle in the studio with him to work out the kinks. I still find it absolutely stunning! I cannot wait to get the whole deluxe package on Friday.