Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

that's cool ... I guess I don't really mind if nobody says that much, but I don't want people to think I'm just racing away (as I often get told I am lol)
    I'm glad some folks are enjoying it. I'm guessing there are probably few folks discovering Elvis, which would be my main aim, I fear it has become uncool to like Elvis these days.
    Probably one of the main reasons I would like feedback (aside from it being a better read for anyone who does join in) is I selfishly want the experts to give me the knowledge they have :) ... I am somewhat of a novice really

JonnyKidd, Dave Hoos, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think from what I have read in the past, and I am not sure where or when exactly, but I think that Frank's daughter Nancy had a great deal to do with Frank's change in attitude on Elvis. I think Nancy was hip and astute enough to know that Elvis was not a flash in the pan, and we know later that of course she would do the movie with Elvis and Elvis would help promote her engagement at the Hilton in Las Vegas, right after he opened IIRC. I think the bond started with Nancy liking Elvis first and then Frank actually met him in person and that secured the respect and mutual admiration.

JonnyKidd, Dave Hoos, Timmy84 and 3 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

cool, cheers mate

RSteven likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

5. mark winstanley

6. mark winstanley

7. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Girl Of My Best Friend is a great little album cut. It's ultimately pretty mediocre as far as the entire Elvis catalogue goes, but it sounds pretty good after the laid-back Fever.

I've already voiced my dislike of I Will Be Home Again, so I won't go over that again. ;)

Dirty, Dirty Feeling, though, is a fantastic performance. I believe it was originally submitted for King Creole (there's a demo on the FTD), and I suppose a case could be made that the ultra-raw sound of the King Creole rockers would be a better fit for the song, but I love the way Elvis makes it a perfect blend of pop and rock. If I were to make someone a mixtape of Elvis "deep cuts," I wouldn't hesitate for a second to include Dirty, Dirty Feeling.

MaestroDavros, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Nice catch! Moz liberally sprinkled Elvis references throughout the Smiths' work (the cover of the Shoplifters Of The World Unite single; singing the first verse of Marie's The Name before live versions of Rusholme Ruffians; the title of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby alluding to Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby), and his crooning style definitely seemed to evoke Elvis at times (or at least the popular conception of what Elvis "sounded like").

Dave112 likes this.
  9. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Elvis is my favourite artist, and so I'm delighted that you're keeping this going; it just gets a bit tough to remember which threads I'm trying to keep up with, given all of the activity on this board. :)

As for the soundtracks, I mostly adore them (yes, even the 1965 ones), so I'll be here for the whole ride!

10. mark winstanley

Cool.
    I'm having the same problem keeping up with threads I'm going through with lol
    I need to retire and just listen to music, and talk crap about music also :)

Dave Hoos, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I rate it. Pretty catchy tune, Elvis in fine voice.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Dave Hoos, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  12. alexpop

Covers. Elvis is way more iconic.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  13. alexpop

Her phrasing is perfect imo. Her version is the definitive.

django5722 and mark winstanley like this.
  14. alexpop

Classic Elvis song. Begs repeated listening.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    mark winstanley likes this.
  15. alexpop

16. mark winstanley

That's fine, we all hear things differently

RSteven and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

Elvis Is Back is considered the first Elvis proper album. A album per se not a hits collection, or soundtrack.

Timmy84 likes this.
  18. alexpop

This isn't a slight at Elvis, but a universal aknowledgement..least that's what I always believed.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I could never decide who had the better version of this great song. I mean, I am bias towards Elvis in almost every measure, but I dig Peggy Lee's version just about as much as I love Elvis's. It reminds me of when I try to decide who's version of Pieces Of My Life is better, Elvis's or Charlie Rich's. I can usually make a decision as I am not a "fence sitter" when it comes to choosing between competing versions of a song I truly love, but both those songs leave me with no clear winner, so I will call it a draw on both of those songs.

alexpop likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

That's cool i disagree with the universe.
    I find Elvis' delivery of the song more relaxed. I like her version, but i just think the delivery is a bit stiff.

DirkM likes this.
  21. alexpop

No! Elvis had way better songs in his catalog, that's Peggy Lee only one ( He's A Tramp ..not bad). So I have to give the lady some kudos for that song.

22. alexpop

Stiff? Think she sings it effortlessly.

RSteven likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

Like i say, we all hear things differently.
    When i listened to the two together with a critical mindset. I found her delivery a little stiff. It's no biggie

RSteven likes this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I also dig her iconic Leiber & Stoller classic song, Is That All There Is? with the great arrangement by Randy Newman. A terriffic song and performance by Peggy Lee and written by Elvis's star songwriting team.

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Everything's subjective. But if you don't like her voice fine. Her delivery was perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.