Turntable Recommendations, Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by funknik, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

From what I’ve seen over the years his comment regarding terrible machining issues is ridiculous and doesn’t hold water!

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Maybe not, that's why I asked, I didn't see it for myself.

3. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

I’ve helped setup quite a few VPI tables over the years and haven’t seen any issues. To imply “terrible” is ridiculous.

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I heard the same claim, though via proxy through a dealer from whom I bought my Merrill table. The only context I could put it in is this is a guy (George) who's building to exacting specs and the claim to me was specifically - he's never seen two of the same model from that manufacturer with the exact same PTS distance. Now he could be referring to .001 millimeter specs, I have no idea. But I wouldn't put it past him.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i find it hard to believe no offense. having owned and sampled VPI tables from entry level to well above, they are truly well made precision machines that have a high level of craftsmanship and precision.
    plus it ain't that hard to machine flat surfaces and perpendicular bores with tightly controlled runout. any brake repair shop can do that.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

I don't agree on "any" brake repair shop, but that's a whole other topic. I was referring to a comment my dealer made regarding their early models. It was initially surprising to hear that about a VPI product, but not so surprising when I considered where VPI began, and the poor craftsmanship I've encountered in some hi-fi products/brands.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Good point. There are wildly varying standards as to what's considered fine/exacting tolerances.

8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

When you use the Blue stylus in the Black body, do you set VTF to 1.8g (blue recommended VTF) or to 1.5g (black recommended VTF)?

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I’m sure he can answer for himself, but it would be the VTF for the stylus.

punkmusick likes this.
  10. punkmusick

That's what I think too. I'm now running a Blue in the Black cartridge, I think I wore out the Black stylus. To be on the safe side I set it at 1.7g, within both specs.

By the way I'm impressed how good it sounds. Seems like the elliptical stylus is not as bad as I remembered it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  11. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Think maybe the new 1200GR and Parasound phono might have something to do with it? ;)

punkmusick likes this.
  12. punkmusick

Haha, yeah, sure. :)

Anyway, I put back the elliptical expecting for the worse but... hey, sounds very good! I thought I'd never enjoy elliptical again but I was wrong.

13. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I would bet the blue stylus on the GR going through the Parasound sounded better than the black through your old equipment. Would I be correct?

punkmusick likes this.
  14. punkmusick

Sure. Much better.

15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Out of curiosity: What did you use previously which the GR and the Parasound replaced?

punkmusick likes this.
  16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

You just learned why some of us old timers don't recommend putting high dollar cartridges on cheap tables going into cheap phono pre amps. Table first, then phono pre, then get the high dollar cart. Table is the "horse" of the system. Never put the cart before the horse. :D

punkmusick likes this.
  17. punkmusick

Pioneer PLX-1000 and Musical Fidelity V90 LPS. I also bought new speakers. The whole story is here:
    Technics SL-1210GR & Pioneer PLX-1000

18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That body will also accommodate the OM series styli, though it admittedly looks weird. Try the 40 or 30 stylus on the 2M Black. The 40 is better than the stock Black stylus at about half the price. 30 is comparable to a Bronze, 20 is similar to Blue, etc.

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I set for the appropriate stylus.

punkmusick likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I need some advice regarding whether I should upgrade my turntable. I need to preface this by saying I don’t have audiophile grade equipment but a mid-level mix of 70s-80s equipment and replacement components from recent years. equipment I paid in the low hundreds for. My current turntable is a Hitachi direct drive model HT-60s. I’m using a Stanton ST500 cartridge. A nearby vintage turntable guy has a Dual 1219 that is missing its dust cover and has a makeshift plinth with a Stanton 600 cartridge with a new Orem 890e stylus. It has been fully restored and discounted because of the plinth and missing dust cover at $275. Plus $40 for a 78s stylus.

I want to play 78s and my current turntable doesn’t so i’ve Considered having a separate turntable for 78s but don’t want to put too much $ into something I will very seldom use. So my question is, would I be better off replacing my current turntable with this dual and be able to play my 78s with a separate stylus rather than adding a second turntable just for that. Is the Dual a significant upgrade from my Hitachi?

21. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Bump. Help ^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.