Marty Robbins: Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs – all 12 songs recorded in a single 8 hour session

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Recorded on April 7th 1959.

What a brilliant album. The original is fantastic. The 1999 reissue with the extra tracks makes it even better.

The clarity of the recording sounds amazing. Marty’s vocals are perfection. The songs chosen for the album are first-class, painting clear pictures of old times.

I haven’t found a better, or even as good a cowboy album as this one.

It’s one of the albums in my collection that I rate as being as close to perfection as any of the best albums I have.

How do you rate it?

2. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I love this album along with several other of Marty's albums that have a similar vibe. I didn't realize it was recorded in one day which makes it even more amazing. Thanks for the info!

3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

An all-time classic!

Ginger Ale, The MEZ, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  4. Tree-bot

I didn't actually know that info until just before I posted the thread. All I was looking for was the actual release date and came across that amazing fact. And so perfectly captured in that short space of time. Outstanding!

Jarleboy, melstapler and Greenalishi like this.
  5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Does anyone have experience with this album in mono? If so, how does the mono compare to the stereo version?

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Absolutely a classic record.

The Bear Family box collecting this and other LPs sounds great and is a great presentation.

7. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Wow, that cover brings back a flood of memories.
    Back in the 60's my neighbors had that album.
    Being young and stupid, we used to look at it and laugh.
    Also used to crack up over their Roy Orbison albums.
    We associated all of these artists with the corny color Country shows on TV.
    Big hair, lime green dresses, guys with slicked back hair & ugly ties.
    Well, we where half right ;)

All of that changed, for me, with the Johnny Cash Show.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Coincidentally, today I pulled out an old US mono copy of this LP out of my collection to play this week sometime. I bought it cheap in a charity shop about four years ago, but only played it once. I know I enjoyed it but that's all I know. I don't have a stereo copy to compare but I'll post on what it sounds like when I play it. I expect it will sound great.

9. Tree-bot

. How does it sit with you right now?

10. Tree-bot

I’ll have to check out this box set you mention. I know nothing about it.

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  11. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I have this album in my short list of desert island must haves. Everything on this album is sung and played to perfection with crystal clear recording quality. I often play it when I am out west - it just makes the drive even better. I happened to be playing some of it this past week. There really isn't a better album of this style of music I've heard though some of those old Sons of The Pioneers recordings are great, sadly without the sonic quality of this album because they were from the '30's.

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I love this album! It was probably my dad’s favorite record. Whenever I listen to it, I think about my dad, who passed away in 2002. Very fond memories. I sure miss him.

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I bought this several years ago on a whim. I had a vague familiarity with "El Paso", and was curious to hear the song again.

I was not prepared for how fantastic this album is. One of my favourite country albums. It should get more recognition.

The cover design is a classic - I love the drama produced by the black figure on the bold red background.

14. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

I always liked "They're Hanging Me Tonight". Didn't know the album was recorded in one eight hour session. Impressive. Big Iron and El Paso are both "out of this world" classics. Sound just as good today as they did back then.

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I've heard this album since I was a kid and enjoyed every single track!
    It is beyond Classic! It's one of the best albums of all time for me, and I have several copies of it.
    There is a magic on this record that is mind wrecking.
    Isn't this the first Country Columbia album that was made available in stereo?
    This is discussed somewhere within the forum somewhere.
    The original release is so good, that you just want to replay it again.
    The track listing, the material, even the length of the album is perfect for an immediate replay.
    Thanks for making a thread about this wonderful record.

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Marty Robbins - Under Western Skies

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The mono is a must, because "El Paso" is edited on the stereo version and has been since the LP was first released.

The following verse is missing on the stereo version and, as far as I know, has never been restored:

"Just for a moment I stood there in silence
    Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done
    Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there
    I had but one chance and that was to run"

19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It's listed as "Long Version - Mono" track 1, disc 1 on the box I linked above.

bloodlemons and The Killer like this.
  20. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

great album

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Songs are in the wrong order for the 1999 Legacy reissue. Also mastered by Joseph Palmaccio, one of the worst engineers ever. Get the Bear Family box and re-sequence.

22. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The Anesini/Gray mono LP is great. Is it still available?

AnalogJ and Front 242 Addict like this.
  23. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

One of my Top 10 of all time

Ginger Ale and Front 242 Addict like this.
  24. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

A fantastic album , a personal favorite . I have an US original mono on Colombia 6 eye and amazingly found an almost mint
    Aussie stereo original CBS copy at my local dump/tip/landfill for $2 about 3 years ago .
    It has a slightly brighter cover and more red than the pink/magenta US cover but is printed in USA .

Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  25. Tree-bot

Not being from the USA, my only real exposure to cowboy songs was via watching cowboy movies as a kid. It was only after watching an old movie around the mid
    Brilliant! I will check that out. Cheers :righton: