“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

She already did! :)

Ruthless People (1986)

Chris DeVoe and Dan C like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which is why you've gotten "harrassed". You've relentlessly crapped on a movie you've not seen.

You didn't see the movie, I'm guessing you won't see the movie, and you don't want to see the movie.

Watching a trailer and listening to some songs doesn't pay the piper...

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Check out what @Vidiot said about the movie & the trailer. And my responses to him.

4. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I wasn't a Lady Gaga fan before this movie, but it changed my mind about her. The songs were great. Gaga is the only celebrity I can think of who looks better with her natural hair and no makeup. She is actually quite good in American Horror Story too.

polchik, Vinyl_Blues, willy and 2 others like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, she's a real talent. She didn't look great in the "no makeup" look, but she looked very real and I bought her as a character. And once they did make her up, she looked like a million bucks. "Star quality" is a very elusive thing, but she's really got it.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Streisand film is awful. I tried watching some of it again recently on TCM and it was like watching a car crash - hard to look away til I couldn’t take it no more. The worst of the Seventies.
    I’m going to see the Gaga version but not eagerly because I’m so tired of the story. Been done so many times I’m burnt out on it.

Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Im officially triggered. the 1976 version is a fantastical 70's cheese parade of pure babs entertainment! and i will stand alone and say the songs are awesome (Streisand's. not Kris's. those are awful...or maybe awful on purpose because kris was supposed to be bad...I don't know)

8. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Harassment? More questioning why you still feel the need to comment on a film you don't want to see and a soundtrack you don't like...

Vidiot's critique is based on his viewing and balanced with what he thought was good and bad.

You my good sir just want to put the boot in. Watch it don't watch by all means, but repetition of the same view doesn't add anything to the party.

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. the pope ondine

the link is down but I think I remember reading it, juicy stuff! Robert Altman told a story of inviting Barbra/Jon to a viewing of Nashville at the time, after it was over they wanted to talk to him and never mentioned Nashville just asked him advice on how to make A Star..... they were kicked out

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Barbra Streisand Archives | New West | My Battles With Barbra and Jon

Try this link.

Vidiot and the pope ondine like this.
  11. the pope ondine

12. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I saw it this weekend and liked it. I was torn between this and First Man and ultimately went to ASIB because it had received some solid reviews from people I respect.

I thought Gaga was very good, Cooper as well. Dice Clay stole every scene he was in. Loved that Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real were the backing band (which now makes me understand how Gaga ended up on their last record). And a Brandi Carlile cameo!

My only real complaint was the pacing/timing was a bit wonky at parts but :shrug:

Two scenes killed me: the dog/steak scene AND one of the Cooper/Elliot scenes.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I'll be on my way...

14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Streisand has always been a neurotic and insecure egomaniac. From what I have read about Peters over the years I have the impression that just about everyone who ever met him thought he was an a__hole (to put it bluntly).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Kris Kristofferson never exactly lit up the screen during his career, IMO, either.

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

As Vidiot said, technically the film is fine, quite accomplished. There are some nice scenes in the first half. The way Bradley Cooper looks at Lady Gaga really sells those early scenes. But the second half really meanders, as if the two main characters slowly grew more out of focus. A few of the songs are o.k., the rest sort of pedestrian imo. Though Ms. Gaga can certainly sing, the force of her performance simply calls more attention to the mediocrity of what she's singing. A more interesting approach (but probably wouldn't fly in the MeToo era) would be Jackson Maines on his way up and Ally on her way down.

17. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I think Kristofferson did a good job with his role in "Alice Doesn't Live Her Anymore," (1974, Dir. Scorsese).

blutiga likes this.
  18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I thought he was a good heavy in "Payback", a fun revenge movie.

I suppose there are dozens of established actors who could've dug into that bad guy part, but props for Kris for his work here.

dan c

20. the pope ondine

he has a naturalistic lowkey style, I thought he was good in pat garret and billy the kid and cisco pike and the little seen trouble in mind. but I guess Barbra needed someone who would match her voltage and kris was doing something different

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Kris Kristofferson is not a bad actor, but he’s been in a lot of bad movies.

Dudley Morris and joelee like this.
  22. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

It was probably just as well that Elvis didn't do it("Oh, but Elvis would have elevated it to something special and then he'd have lived longer", his fans may argue. Don't get me wrong, I like Elvis).

Vidiot likes this.
  23. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

But could they have gotten Elvis off all the drugs he was taking?

24. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The approach made the story claustrophobic.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would've been amazing to have Streisand and Elvis in the same movie, but I'm not sure if Elvis' ego would have allowed him to share the same stage with somebody this big, particularly if his character winds up dying at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.