Elvis Costello and the Imposters: Look Now (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

How about "Stones" and "Rolling Stones"?....:D

2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Check out the DR numbers. There's no way this could sound good on a good stereo. I would assume the CD has the same DR as the download

24 bit / 96.0 kHz (Qobuz)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed Folder: Elvis Costello & The Imposters\Look Now\Look Now_dr.txt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR6 -0.30 dB -7.05 dB 01-01-Elvis_Costello-Under_Lime-SMR.flac
    DR7 -0.30 dB -10.08 dB 01-02-Elvis_Costello-Don_t_Look_Now-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.20 dB -6.80 dB 01-03-Elvis_Costello-Burnt_Sugar_Is_So_Bitter-SMR.flac
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.69 dB 01-04-Elvis_Costello-Stripping_Paper-SMR.flac
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.18 dB 01-05-Elvis_Costello-Unwanted_Number-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -6.95 dB 01-06-Elvis_Costello-I_Let_The_Sun_Go_Down-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.21 dB 01-07-Elvis_Costello-Mr_Mrs_Hush-SMR.flac
    DR7 -0.30 dB -10.39 dB 01-08-Elvis_Costello-Photographs_Can_Lie-SMR.flac
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.77 dB 01-09-Elvis_Costello-Dishonor_The_Stars-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.22 dB 01-10-Elvis_Costello-Suspect_My_Tears-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.40 dB 01-11-Elvis_Costello-Why_Won_t_Heaven_Help_Me-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -6.78 dB 01-12-Elvis_Costello-He_s_Given_Me_Things-SMR.flac
    DR8 -0.30 dB -10.40 dB 02-01-Elvis_Costello-Isabelle_In_Tears-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.06 dB 02-02-Elvis_Costello-Adieu_Paris_L_Envie_Des_Etoiles-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.20 dB -7.55 dB 02-03-Elvis_Costello-The_Final_Mrs_Curtain-SMR.flac
    DR8 -0.26 dB -12.00 dB 02-04-Elvis_Costello-You_Shouldn_t_Look_At_Me_That_Way-SMR.flac

Number of Files: 16
    Official DR Value: DR6

PhantomStranger likes this.
  3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Can anyone here that has the CD confirm the DR is the same as the hi-rez download. Below is the Hi-Rez DR Numbers.

24 bit / 96.0 kHz (Qobuz)

Analyzed Folder: Elvis Costello & The Imposters\Look Now\Look Now_dr.txt
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR6 -0.30 dB -7.05 dB 01-01-Elvis_Costello-Under_Lime-SMR.flac
    DR7 -0.30 dB -10.08 dB 01-02-Elvis_Costello-Don_t_Look_Now-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.20 dB -6.80 dB 01-03-Elvis_Costello-Burnt_Sugar_Is_So_Bitter-SMR.flac
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.69 dB 01-04-Elvis_Costello-Stripping_Paper-SMR.flac
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.18 dB 01-05-Elvis_Costello-Unwanted_Number-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -6.95 dB 01-06-Elvis_Costello-I_Let_The_Sun_Go_Down-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.21 dB 01-07-Elvis_Costello-Mr_Mrs_Hush-SMR.flac
    DR7 -0.30 dB -10.39 dB 01-08-Elvis_Costello-Photographs_Can_Lie-SMR.flac
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.77 dB 01-09-Elvis_Costello-Dishonor_The_Stars-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.22 dB 01-10-Elvis_Costello-Suspect_My_Tears-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.40 dB 01-11-Elvis_Costello-Why_Won_t_Heaven_Help_Me-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -6.78 dB 01-12-Elvis_Costello-He_s_Given_Me_Things-SMR.flac
    DR8 -0.30 dB -10.40 dB 02-01-Elvis_Costello-Isabelle_In_Tears-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.06 dB 02-02-Elvis_Costello-Adieu_Paris_L_Envie_Des_Etoiles-SMR.flac
    DR5 -0.20 dB -7.55 dB 02-03-Elvis_Costello-The_Final_Mrs_Curtain-SMR.flac
    DR8 -0.26 dB -12.00 dB 02-04-Elvis_Costello-You_Shouldn_t_Look_At_Me_That_Way-SMR.flac

Number of Files: 16
    Official DR Value: DR6

4. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Right, and if you were interviewed and you said, "My favorite kind of music is pop music. It's 90% of my music collection" (as an example), without adding that you would call the first Clash album "pop music," people who don't know you or hadn't read/don't remember the "interview" with your above quote, would think you were saying your record collection is almost exclusively top forty, Backstreet Boys and Taylor Swift music.

5. I agree that North is the hidden gem. Some of his best personal writing and such a beautifully romantic album , and as I posted earlier, I’m in the Mood just might be his best written song.

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I've been giving some thought to the phrase "under lime". It appears to be both a reference to alcohol (with a wedge of fruit floating in it, alcohol is "under lime") and to burying past/dead things so they will escape detection. It occurred to me that Elvis has referenced lime (at least) twice before, once with each meaning, and both on "Brutal Youth".

"They called time in vodka and lime in some far-flung Canadian Club" ("Just About Glad")

"Pray for the boy who makes his bed in cold earth and quick lime." ("Favourite Hour")

[​IMG]

Both meanings are in play in "Under Lime". Jimmie is burying his past "crimes" in alcohol (hence the assistant's orders to not let him drink) while also metaphorically burying his past in quick lime to cover his tracks.

7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yeah. I'm not surprised.

I listened to the entire album for the first time yesterday. I listened twice, in fact. I had thought that I'd really enjoyed it -- particularly the second go 'round. Apparently, I was mistaken.

Damn it.

8. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Better hurry. Burt's 90. I'd also welcome another writing session with McCartney.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  9. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

It really bothers me that an artist of Costello's stature
    writes an amazing body of songs , recorded so nicely
    just to have it all squashed to hell by some mastering engineer with leather ears!
    Grrrrr!

I want to by this but on my stereo system it would sound sooooo compressed!
    Not sure if I can "listen past that"

10. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I had assumed that he was retired. Guess not.

11. Dr. Luther's Assistant

If I recall correctly, Momofuku had the sh#t compressed out of it as well.

I understand. I am far from unsympathetic about the ham-fisted approach to mixing and mastering prevalent in the Industry today. It truly is a f#cking drag.

However:
    I have no control over it, unfortunately. I just try to do my best to not let it ruin the enjoyment of a piece of work such as this for me.

I'm certainly not going to let it scare me off. It sucks, I know.

12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

It's a great record. I'm the furthest thing from an Elvis Costello fanboy -- I thought Secret, Profane and National Ransom were dismal. I was a big fan of Momofuku, and I thought The Delivery Man and When I Was Cruel were decent enough. Hated North.

I'd say without hesitation that Look Now ranks among the best albums he's ever made. It works for me more than any album he's done in the past 30+ years has. It did take 2-3 listens for the melodies to really sink in and grab hold, but I've never really thought of him as an artist whose stuff was that immediate anyway. I find this is easily his most rewarding album since at least Blood And Chocolate. Awesome melodies, brilliant arrangements -- hugely rewarding material.

Eska68, kouzie, Octowen and 7 others like this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Yup. This is almost invariably how it's been for me over the years. His most enduring, complex, and rewarding stuff has rarely presented itself as immediately accessible. To me, anyway.

I've learned to expect and embrace it.

Kimiimacman and intv7 like this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

As do I. I really object to the sound pound.

15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Definitely more with McCartney. I’d love it of he collaborated more with Carole King too. Haven’t heard the album yet, but will likely pick it up soon. Why did he sit on their song (Aside for a few performances, apparently) for so long?

16. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Maybe I'm basic, but this and Momofuku are my favorite E.C. albums of the past two decades.

srsch likes this.
  17. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

You know, me and anyone near to my age as first generation Beatles fans listened to their records at a very primitive level. We still reacted quite well to the music. Compression? Brickwalled? Loudness? These terms had nothing to do with what we were hearing in 1965. Even odd stereo mixes were not so odd when listening on your parents stereo, considering at the most the speakers might be only as far apart as the width of a 25" tv screen.
    Pretty sure 1968 might have been the first time I heard even a taste of bass.
    What I'm getting at is, I was exposed to great music during my teenage years from 1963-1969. And ignorance was bliss.
    It sounded like it seemed like it was supposed to sound. Everyone I knew was more or less listening the same way I was. The music ALWAYS transcended the lo-fi machinery.
    We love music to sound as great as it can, but sometimes it's best to get tothe music first and get around to the sound of the music later.
    There's a huge list of horrible sounding records that are simply perfection.
    Quarter to Three by Gary "US" Bonds is just one of them.
    We do care about nuance and air and breathing life into sound, but music is more than measurable sonic perfection.
    Having said all that, I'm VERY happy I don't have to listen to music played on the loaned out of the basement, one speaker record player, I listened to Revolver on, for the very first time during the summer of 1966 on vacation.
    It sounded horrible, but so great.
    If I could have the experience of hearing it again for the very time in those very same less than perfect conditions, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

19. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Lovely sentiments.

I just received a 2-disc reissue version of Procol Harum's first album (with alternate takes and whatnot). Most of the original tracks sound like sh#t, I suppose -- but it sounds as good as it's probably ever going to sound.

What's my point? I'm not really sure. All I know is that I enjoyed the hell out of it.

(Caveat: I grew up with my brother's sh#tty processed stereo US copy of this album. This one is at least mono. Nonetheless...)

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  20. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Quite possibly one of the best posts I've ever read on this forum. You deserve a pint, sir!

RubenH, let him run... and Octowen like this.
  21. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

nedwho likes this.
  22. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Forum Resident

There is, to me, a huge difference between my playback system being the limiting factor for good sound rather than the product I've paid good money for being the culprit.

Can you imagine if Netflix optimised for phones and this made movies on TV substantially of poorer quality, would we all say it's the acting that's important not the quality of the picture.

It's a shame to see artists who will gain nothing from brickwalling (the current Richard Thompson is horrendous) lessening the impact of their art through ignorance, carelessness or stupidity.

.sjb

sennj likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

I downloaded the mp3s, yes lossy and small, from courtesy of the 2LP purchase. I didn't burn them to cdr just yet, just listened through headphones and audio out from the laptop. In that context, I thought the tone was fine and the mix seemed full but not condensed. The sound of some of the instruments seemed relatively 'dry' to me and pieces in songs seemed to me to be added and taken away for the arrangements. If any of the above is 'true' or accurate, lol - it was only 1 listen and that was mostly purely on an instinctual level, and not through my stereo - then that would help explain to me why the DR#s didn't adversely affect my enjoyment of what I heard. If the sound is really spread out, evenly mixed, not unduly concentrated, if the EQ is 'neutral' or 'dark' or at least not overly bright and edgy, it could give some levity and flexibility which can for me make for a better listen, to an otherwise compromised dynamic range. Will have to give the 1st 6 songs another go via cdr on the 'hi fi' from those 'mp3s' out of curiosity fwiw.

24. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

It has a B on it; stylized, which I assume is his signature.

dee likes this.
  25. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Look Now is if Imperial Bedroom and Burt Bacharach had a baby. . . and I'm OK with that.

Quincy and Chemguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.