Biggest Vinyl Bargains Still Out There

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by krisjay, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

It's fantastic on vinyl. Have a read of this. They recorded everything on to 2 inch tape before transferring to Pro Tools. Used full orchestras. It was mastered from tape by Bob Ludwig. Spent over a million dollars making it.

Recording Random Access Memories | Daft Punk |

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    MarkO, GyroSE and DTK like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Had no idea- thanks.

GyroSE and mikizee like this.
  3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Depends on what type of music one likes and what one considers a bargain. I have purchased several first pressing pink Capricorn label Ex condition copies of the Allman Brothers legendary 2LP Fillmore East album for less than $20 without too much effort of the hunt which I consider a bargain for such a legendary album but others may think that expensive.

Also if a collector is willing to accept vinyl with a worn cover but the vinyl is in great condition there are many bargains to be had. Can't tell you the number of Lp's I have purchased on the cheap where the cover was worn but the vinyl in great shape for less than $10.

fluffskul and notesofachord like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yep, I don't mind a little ringwear if I can get a great-sounding early pressing for <$6 or so.

phillyal1 likes this.
  5. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

The Stooges, MC5, and Ramones reissues from Rhino are a great value, imo.

DTK, MarkO, Kevin j and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost Forum Resident

Picked that up today, sounds very good indeed

MarkO likes this.
  7. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

MrSka57, Nephrodoc and GyroSE like this.
  8. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Amazon uk are selling Bowie A New Career In a New Town for £150.

9. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

A used copy Gerry Rafferty - City To City is dirt cheap.

10. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Ok, this might be a bit esoteric, but I listened to my copy of Grisman & Grapelli Live last night, which is an amazing recording and fabulous pressing and has been out of print since 1994, and hasn't been printed on vinyl since 1981 (!!!) and looked it up on Discogs and, well, you can get a mint "Artisan" copy for $8. Unbelieveable!

Stephane Grappelli* / David Grisman - Live

panasoffkee likes this.
  11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Joni Mitchell - Hejira and Hissing of Summer Lawns Chris Bellman remasters beat the originals. The former is currently available at Insounds for about $10.
    Same story for the recent Rhino Chris Bellman remastered reissue of Los Lobos Will the Wolf Survive.
    Early pressings of the Lowell George era Little Feat catalog on Warner palm tree labels are pretty easy to find in good shape and affordable.
    The 2002 reissues of the ABCKO Rolling Stones catalog are great sounding and still pretty easy to find.

12. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

This is a great list, but newbie vinyl seekers will need more information. For example, the TML pressing for Darkness and the GK pressing for Every Picture are so much better than other pressings of these titles. If you’re interested in the titles from this post, do a little more searching around these here SHFs to learn about the best pressings of various vintage vinyl releases, and enjoy the quest!

13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

And the RL cut of Stage Fright while we’re at it (assuming there were non-RL’s).

breakingglass likes this.
  14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

The new reissue monos of John Coltrane on Atlantic are fab. I got Giant Steps and Coltranes Sound, new, each less than an Andrew Jackson.

metalrules likes this.
  15. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

Monkees box set, 10 lps for just over $50 at insound.com, on sale right now. nice set, sounds good!

Deano6 and Neonbeam like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's almost grotesque. Too bad they don't ship to Europe.....

17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Have you compared the newer monos with these stereo versions? If so, what did you conclude:

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

The only other Coltrane vinyl RI I got was My Favorite Things,Rhino,stereo and it didn't sound as good. I was surprised/disappointed.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I agree! I don't know why these get so much praise here. I have "My Favorite Things" and it sounds bad. Overblown bass, no instrument separation, lack of air....

20. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Clucking likes this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Thanks for telling me about this. My brother and I each ordered a box. By the way, all of their vinyl is currently 60% off.

parkmebike likes this.
  22. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Hadn’t heard of these. Any info on mastering and pressing plant?

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It's a few months later but another reason I don't buy new vinyl on Amazon? If there are any new vinyl releases of interest to me, I'd rather pick it up at my local. If it involves a special order, not an issue.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I suppose that's a good thing as you keep your local store in business of course. But not really following your S&H concerns, first off...obviously you don't have Prime but isn't it free shipping for $25 and above? That's two LP's, and on occasion just one.

Amazon does has one major advantage over a local which is free exchanges / returns. I know a local store usually has to eat that cost which is why I generally use mine for open used items that I can at least physically inspect. Boxed sets, in particular, I usually prefer to buy on Amazon.

25. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Clucking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.