Agharta & Pangaea, is there not a market for a CD reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

No, at NY.

2. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would be nice to have the definitive Japanese mixes easily available in a new box set though! Also Cosey is really undermixed on the first disk of Dark Magus so any remix that brings him up a bit, if possible, would be cool.

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

At Carnegie Hall! Too cool.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The subject of a box set of the 1975 concerts always comes up. But the original Japanese mixes are available and sound great.
    And aside from the radio broadcast from January 22, 1975 none of the other tapes, almost all audience recordings, are acceptable for release imo.
    Unless Columbia has tapes we're not aware of.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think the Japanese bluspec versions are not that expensive. At least, I don't remember paying crazy prices for them: Agharta [Blu-spec CD2] Miles Davis CD Album
    Pangaea is no longer available :confused:

6. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

I love Agharta and only version I have ever owned is the big box Jazz Masters 1990 CD version. As a result that is all I know. I have read so many comments regards the Japanese Blu-Spec version and am pretty tempted to purchase (Ebay shows new copies around £25 including postage). Question please - is it really that much of an upgrade?? Is the sound really that improved. Thanks in advance.

7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Do the Japanese editions sound better? I don't have Agharta

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

They are different, and, in my opinion, superior mixes.

ScottyNYC and gd0 like this.
  9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'll have to revisit Pangaea to see if I really love this stuff.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

11. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

12. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Ah - My misteaK. I associate the three together

13. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

No. NYC 1974

14. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

It seems to me the 1971 Europe tour is a band lineup that has yet to be properly released. A bit of a missing link if you will. I could handle sometiung from 1973 too. And a bootleg series from Japan tour 1975 please

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Finally got a copy of the Japanese Blu Spec 2 version of Agharta. Better than I ever imagined. Stunning, simply stunning.

ScottyNYC, Rne and frightwigwam like this.
  16. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I would purchase new issues of these 2 great albums in either box set or stand alone CDs..

Hootsmon likes this.
  17. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I ordered the '96 Japanese release today. Looking forward to scaring the neighbors with it.

proedros and yesstiles like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:laugh:

19. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I really like the Japanese Mastersound issues of both of these discs. They sound much better than the old US versions that were kicking around in the early 1990s.

Miles Davis - Agharta
    Miles Davis - Pangaea

I've heard good things about the early Japanese masterings from the mid-1980s as well...these are on order for me at the moment.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  20. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

glad to see a thread about agharta/pangaea , as they are Desert Island Discs for me

reaally hoping SONY will someday release a bootleg series with the 1975 Japan Tour Recordings , until then Agharta/Pangaea will do

also people who dig Ag/Pag , try and find the Soundboard Bootleg 'Another Unity' with the 22.01.75 Tokyo recording - almost as good as Agharta/Pangaea (sonics-wise, as material-wise it's as good if not better)

i have at my FLAC player , 5 different cd versions of Agharta/Pangaea (1991-1996-2001-2006-2013) and 3-4 different vinyl rips of Agharta/Pangaea from top-notch rippers (Original Japan Pressings and the 1979/1981 Japan reissues) , will try to hear them all again in the next days and come up with a summary of which one sounds best imo

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thank you. I am a bit late to this thread. My only cd copies of Agharta and Pangaea are in the Miles Davis albums box set by Sony. Do the blu-spec cds use the same mastering?

22. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Apologies, I'm not sure what mastering is in the Sony box...maybe someone else knows?

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The blu-specs use the original mixes, the box set has only one of them, but I can't confirm which one right now (sorry, I've just woken up).

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks to you both. I did find some other threads on these 2 albums with regards to cd releases.
    Miles Davis: Which versions of Agharta and Pangaea are on the new Japanese Blu-Spec?

Also this thread which is still active

Miles Davis: Agharta & Pangaea Definitive Digital Release Thread

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    frightwigwam likes this.
  25. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

you're right, fantastic!

It is hard to fathom that MD was performing this intense uncompromising music whilst amid so much physical and emotional pain. I have always felt that in the music of this period, and the Wiki article confirms that to be true.

DTK and Scott6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.