JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

@Fruff76 - would be interested in what comprises your system.

2. Cool. I really want to hear these too. Not to buy because I’m set, but I do enjoy my refurb vintage set in my b system.

I bet the new ones just kick ass. What color foam grills did you choose and did you get the metal riser stands ?

Do they suggest a long break in period ? By BW 702s needed 100 hours.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  3. Yeah he needs to add in his system profile info

4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I ended up with the orange grill, and I also got the stands. It took about a week longer for the stands to come in. JBL rep said I’m not of the first batch of people to get them. The look is great and it was a relief that the sound is just as great. They are NOT just for aging folks looking to re-live the 70’s. I’m only 42. But I have been into audio since i was a young kid.
    My system currently:
    NAD - M3 pre-amp only section
    Adcom GFA-555
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player -DAC
    Wadia iPod dock
    Rega P3 - 24

By no means the most expensive, or “high end”
    Set up I’ve ever had, but by far the most enjoyable

OE3, Manimal, displayname and 7 others like this.
  5. Fruff76

Not sure about the break in period. I’ll check the manual when I get home

6. Fruff76

Correction above. The JBL rep said I’m one of the first batch of people to get them.

displayname likes this.
  7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Thx for the info. Enjoy!

8. Fruff76

No problem! I figured I’d cut the speculation on whether these are just overpriced nostalgic speakers, or if they’re the real deal. Of course, everyone’s opinion is different, but I’ve been at this for awhile and if it sounds great to me that’s all that counts. I really got tired of micro moving speakers to make them sound better. Wondering if the vocals are shifting etc etc. I’m sure some people will chime in with their own experience with these, good or bad, but I’m just saying the potential is amazing. Obviously, room placement, acoustics etc will be a factor.

Manimal and Mazzy like this.
  9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Have you compared them to the 4319, maybe?

10. Well it really is whatever your ears say. Sometimes speaker suggest it as a warning, but I found that my B&Ws really need the time. I bought an original pair of JBL L100s back in 1975 ($600) and I don't even recall thinking about break-in period. All I know is that my roommate and I pissed off our neighbors with loud music all of the time. Hey, were were collage kids who worked in record stores :tiphat:

Manimal likes this.
  11. Let’s get some pics when you have a chance.

[​IMG]

12. Fruff76

No, this is my first foray into JBL, besides old school subwoofers in the 90’s. I’d be interested to hear them though. Or some input on them

displayname likes this.
  13. Fruff76

Those are pretty awesome! I’ll get some pics soon.

14. Fruff76

Exactly, I see a lot of picking certain brands apart based on the lack of prestige. I think the cost of a lot of this stuff has just gone nuts with not much to back it up. Maybe high overhead and low sales? Overkill on material selection? Who knows. Also, I can see maybe a little break in, but I think it’s an excuse sometimes. Just my opinion.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I thought maybe the dealer had both on display. Never mind, someone will chime in, hopefully.

16. Fruff76

I actually pre ordered them from music direct without hearing them. 60 day money back so I wasn’t too worried. I was eyeing up jbl from them for awhile, just out of curiosity, but wasn’t a huge fan of the styling. When I saw these though, I had to go for it.

clhboa and Mazzy like this.
  17. Fruff76

The manual says 2 weeks.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Fruff76, ya got some very cool, unique speakers there.
    I'm looking forward to an in-depth review where hopefully they go into the changes with someone from JBL.

Fruff76 likes this.
  19. Or two days with the sessions where i play records :tiphat:

Fruff76 likes this.
  20. Fruff76

Thanks, I’m pretty thrilled. I’m also looking forward to an in depth review. I’m curious to see if the big magazines give it any attention, other than labeling it as a “party speaker”

21. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I may finally be replacing my 4411 monitors!

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. Fruff76

You wouldn’t be disappointed

360-12 likes this.
  23. Fruff76

Just got the new stereophile and there’s an ad for them.

24. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I'll be interested to hear our host's impressions when he gets his review pair. I always liked the design aesthetics, but never much cared for the sound of the originals.

Upstateaudio likes this.
  25. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

My musical taste was so different when the L100s were in production. The old speakers were great for rock and roll.( My tastes as a young man). Wonder how they sound for jazz and classical as well as rock. I favored these over the Advents my friends were into.

MarkN likes this.