JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I agree that they were best suited for rock. My main dislike was what seemed like over-emphasized high frequencies. But my high frequency hearing has deteriorated enough with age that maybe they'd sound better to me now :).

2. They sounds great to me on Jazz CDS. I have a refurbished pair of originals down in my office. That is my rig mostly for CDs. Not my main system. And I play a lot of Beethoven, Wagner and others as well as "'2oth Century Classical" artists like Kronos Quartet, John Adams, Philip Glass etc.

Manimal and BrentB like this.
  3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Ordered a reissue pair with stands. My understanding is that they are different from the originals tighter low end and more extended and smoother highs. Gonna put them in my second system so I csn switch between the maggies and them. I’m using a Pass X250.5 amp in that system but it was suggested that I might like them better with tubes. I have a ARC GS150 that I have in storage so I might hook it up.

Gonna cue up some Mountain when they get here.

4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Music direct sells the stands for $300. Is that for a pair or a single stand?

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Pair

6. Do you know if they will fit the originals ? I guess I should measure to see if the new and old are the same dimension.

7. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Personally I would try the L100's with the Pass amp before you trade out anything, Tommy.
    Back in the day, the clothing store I worked at had a monster sound system in one dept., using Phase Linear Pre & 2 Power Amps capable of driving 10 L100's to insane clean levels.
    Pass arguably, makes the finest SS amps going. I happen to agree. That amp you own will sound better than 99% of any other amp made.
    Maybe not, but still worth it to listen for a while

BTW, which Mountain album?
    I was the only guy in my High School who had Climbing, Nantucket Sleigh Ride & Flowers of Evil ;)

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Guess I’ll start with Nantucket Sleighride, follow with sonw Cactus.
    I love Pass gear I’m using their XA100.8’s in my main system.

9. So the new ones are apparently a slightly different exterior dimension.

10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

No. But Change some components out in the crossover circuit and you have a pair of 4310’s

11. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Congrats!

12. Fruff76

Which color grill did you go for?

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

They had blue in stock so I went with it, gonna try and get a pair if orange grills also

14. Fruff76

I want to try and get a pair of the blue ones. Do you know how much a set cost?

15. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Congrats!! Look forward to hearing your impressions!

clhboa likes this.
  16. My original pair I bought in 75 had orange grills. They looked so cool. Unfortunately stolen in 1985.

My refurbished pair have blue. Also nice.

17. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member Thread Starter

@Fruff76, how about a glimpse of your system.

18. Fruff76

The room it’s in is currently underwhelming and I’m just about to direct funds to convert it ( partially finished basement). I’ll see what I can come up with though. I can’t seem to figure out how to add pics on here.

Monsieur Gadbois likes this.
  19. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Those are my dream amps. Drool...

20. Not that you can tell from a video but they certainly aren't too bass heavy. Sounds pretty crisp and clean.

Manimal and Fruff76 like this.
  21. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Where are the drivers mfg? Still in CA? Or Tijuana Mexico? Should be the ideal speakers for herb Alpert and the TJ brass, no?

22. George Field

George Field New Member

Herb Alpert is an American who once described the members of the TJ Brass as 'four lasagnas, two bagels, and an American cheese'. JBL has not manufactured in the US since about 2010. Most of their products are built in Mexico, but Samsung is an international company, so get used to it. The L100 Classic tweeter, for example, looks suspiciously like a Revel unit, and if so probably comes from Indonesia.

VinylSoul likes this.
  23. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Post #73 "'Designed and Engineered in USA' followed by 'Made in Indonesia'".

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Got them hooked up, of course they have some break in to find out what they sound like but they are a fun throwback listen. Not boomy like the originals in fact when I initially had them hooked up I had my Rel sub on and when I turned it off I realized they benefited from a sub.
    You need to throw away any audiophile credentials. Turn them up and your transported to 1976.
    Eventually I’ll move them into my office.

Manimal, Shawn, murphythecat and 3 others like this.
  25. Fruff76

Mine are getting even better with some break in.

Monty12, murphythecat and Slimwhit33 like this.