Converting SACD ISO to FLAC files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by boogieman, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've used iso2dsd in the past, and it works great, but I have been given two giant .DSF files (each the side of an LP) and a .CUE file.

JRiver will read the .cue, correctly grab the embedded info, and create new .DSFs for me, but it goes through a PCM conversion before it's all over, as JRiver does with all of its conversions. And the degradation is very noticeable when I go back to my portable, and listen to the entire album-side .DSF versus the nice new individual-song .DSFs.

So here's my query: is there a program out there which will take the .CUE and .DSF files (I have no .ISO) and do a pure split instead of the DSD-->PCM-->DSD that JRiver does? I need pure splitting, not conversion.

I see that xrecode is not freeware, and it's inexpensive, but on the issue of splitting .DSFs, it apparently has a problem with adding clicks and pops at the borders between split sections. Anybody who chats about it online brings this problem up, as recently as 2017.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

No. This is what I do. Nothing illegal about it. I went through a lot of trouble to get it to work.

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

My response to Kal was in response to what shicorp said :)

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Ah. I had completely forgotten about ISO2DVD. Played with it a while back but it didn't do much for me.

5. Kal Rubinson

You didn't choose the right options for the conversion.

Yes. ISO2DSD will do that if you choose SonyDSF and uncheck Cue Sheet.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think you misunderstood my sentence. When I said "I have been given a .cue file and two giant .dsf files", I meant they were dropped into my lap, and I need to split the .dsf file per the .cue file. I did not mean that I produced the three files myself by misusing iso2dsd.

I grabbed version 7 of ISO2DSD for windows, and it pretty much wants nothing but an .ISO for input. I tried selecting "All" instead of ".ISO", but it didn't matter. ISO2DSD wanted nothing to do with my .cue or .dsf files. Thanks for your time.

7. Kal Rubinson

Ah. That has never happened to me! But, yes, I assumed(!) you did this to yourself.
    Sorry.

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Did you try TASCAM high resolution editor? I haven't tested it but it might be worth a shot...

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You know, I did download it because it seems to be a neat little free and simple music editor, and they can be hard to come by. (Didn't install it, though.) Audacity is great, e.g., but there's a learning curve there if you don't use it that much.

I went ahead and used the trial of xrecode3. Fully functional for 30 days. It directly extracted the 9 DFF files from my two big DSF files and single CUE file without re-encoding anything. (I'll worry about dff2dsf later....) It, too, looks like a nice simple, program: a little "swiss army knife" for music conversion; a gui front end to ffmpeg; with DSD extraction thrown in for kicks. At $15, that's hard to beat, so I'm going for it.

10. Hymie the Robot

Nice! I use the one long DSF file and cue since my Oppo doesn't do gapless but it is nice to know I can simply split them if need be in the future.

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Drawback to the DFF format that it creates is: no tagging in DFFs. But that is allegedly easily remedied with dff2dsf.

I was just happy as a clam that my Fiio played the DFF files.

I didn't dream in a million years that JRiver (v24) would re-encode everything, but after only a few seconds listen to the JRiver .DSFs on the Fiio, vs. hearing the original uncut ones, there was CLEARLY something wrong with JRiver's .DSF files, hence my hunt for a reason.

12. Hymie the Robot

I found something simple to convert from dff to dsf just for compatibility although I don't need the tagging features since the info I need is in the cue.

I am pretty happy with jRiver conversion to PCM on the fly for multichannel stuff but I go back and forth. For stereo DSD, I never convert...

TonyCzar likes this.
  13. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

14. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

15. DMonds

DMonds Forum Resident

Good conversation and very enlightening to a newbie like me.

So, I've managed to rip my SACDs to ISO using a mates Cambridge Audio 752BD and ISO2DSD.
    As per this thread title, I now wish to create FLAC versions so I can stream to my player (a CA751BD).

I can use the ISO2DSD -> DSF -> dbPoweramp method...no worries.
    My question is, if Foobar2000 which can convert the ISO direct to FLAC without the intermediate step of creating DSF, which method is better, or are they both pretty much going to produce identical files?

16. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

When using "Sonore ISO2DSD", what should i choose for the output format? Phillips DSDIFF, DSDIFF Edit Master, or Sony DSF? What's the difference? Cheers.

17. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

The main difference is that DSF can have embedded metadata tags, while DSDIFF cannot. Therefore, most people use DSF.

Joey_Corleone and Hatchet Jack like this.
  18. Hatchet Jack

One more thing: a have a few hybrid SACDs that i want to extract just the CD layer to listen to in my phone. How can i do that, extract just the CD layer? I don't want to donwsample the hi-res SACD layer. Cheers.

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You'd rip them the same way you would a normal CD.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  20. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Want your SACDs/DVD-As ripped to 2.0 or 4.0 or 5.1?

goldeneardigital.com

Ari has ripped more than 100 for me, to DSD and then to choice of WAV, FLAC, etc. Contact him.

21. Hatchet Jack

For a regular CD, i just put it in my computer CD drive and rip it using "Exact Audio Copy". I don't believe i can do that with a SACD. So how should i proceed? Cheers.

22. Hatchet Jack

Thanks, but i have just a few hybrid SACDs and i believe it must not be very hard to do it. Cheers.

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

A hybrid SACD is just a CD for the purpose of ripping the Redbook layer. Try it and you'll see.

24. Hatchet Jack

I used ISO2DSD to convert a single SACD ISO file to separated Sony DSF files, than i converted these files to downsampled FLAC via dBpoweramp (to listen to them on my phone). Than i used Trader's Little Helper to check if the files were ok, but to my surprise a received the message "audio data is not cut on a sector boundary" for all the tracks. Why is that? Does ISO2DSD suffers from the same problem that Medieval CUE Splitter suffers? Cause i get sector boundary errors everytime i use Medieval CUE Splitter, but never when i use CUETools for example. And if ISO2DSD will not cut the audio data on a sector boundary, should i use foobar2000 to do the job, or will i end up with the same problems anyway? Much obliged.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  25. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

wow $5 for stereo or $7.50 for surround per disc, I should start a biz doing this as well.

formu_la likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.