‘NYPD Blue’ sequel with Andy Sipowicz’s son set at ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

‘NYPD Blue’ Sequel With Andy Sipowicz’s Son Set At ABC From Matt Olmstead, Nick Wootton & Jesse Bochco

‘NYPD Blue’ Sequel With Andy Sipowicz’s Son Set At ABC From Matt Olmstead, Nick Wootton & Jesse Bochco

by Nellie Andreeva/Deadline
    October 17, 2018 3:30pm

[​IMG]

One of ABC’s signature dramas is staging a comeback. ABC has given a pilot production commitment to NYPD Blue, a new iteration of the iconic cop drama that will revolve around the son of Dennis Franz’s Detective Andy Sipowicz character from the original series. The reboot hails from NYPD Blue alums Matt Olmstead, Nick Wootton and Jesse Bochco. The pilot, a co-production between 20th Century Fox TV, which was behind the original series, and ABC Studios, is already casting its four main roles of NYPD cops, led by Theo.

Unfortunately for all Andy Sipowitz fans, in the sequel his character is dead. The return of NYPD Blue follows his son, Theo, as he tries to earn his detective shield and work in the 15th squad while investigating his father’s murder. Theo seems to have taken after his father as he too is a hard-drinking, hard-headed and quick-witted cop.

By opting to have a link to the original series versus a straight-out reboot with an all-new group of cops, the new NYPD Blue creates opportunities for characters from the Emmy-winning drama to pop in. Indeed, while there are no deals in place, I hear that the intention is for original cast members to appear on the followup series.

That won’t include Franz, a three-time Emmy winner for NYPD Blue, who had largely retired from acting but had remained open to opportunities. “I did receive a call, and I’m flattered but not interested,” Franz said in a statement to Deadline. “NYPD Blue was a high point in my life and career, and I think of it so fondly. I wish them all well and much success.”

The pilot script was written by Olmstead and Wootton. Bochco, son of NYPD Blue co-creator Steven Bochco, who helmed 10 episodes of the original series, is set to direct. All three executive produce, while Steven Bochco’s widow, Dayna Bochco, will serve as a producer.

I hear the project got the blessing of the late Steven Bochco, who met with Olmstead shortly before his death April 1.

Theo is Andy Sipowitz’s son with Assistant District Attorney Sylvia Costas (Sharon Lawrence) who was tragically killed in Season 6, while Theo was just a little boy. He was played on the show from Seasons 6-12 by child actor Austin Majors.

Created by Bochco and David Milch, NYPD Blue debuted in 1993 and ran for 12 seasons, setting a record for the longest-running drama series on ABC, a mark only recently eclipsed by Grey’s Anatomy. It won 20 Emmy Awards and earned 84 nominations over its run, including best drama series, and was lauded for its realistic portrayal of cops’ lives.

NYPD Blue also pushed the boundaries of broadcast content with its depiction of nudity and alcoholism, drawing an FCC fine over a racy 2003 scene featuring Charlotte Ross’ buttocks that was eventually struck down by a court.

For Olmstead, this marks a return to the series that gave him his start. As a young writer trying to get a staff writing job, he met with Bochco who offered him to write for the ABC cop drama. Olmstead joined the show as a writer in Season 6, steadily rising through the ranks to executive producer in Seasons 10-12.

Wootton’s first association with Bochco came when he was just three years old, because Wootton and Bochco’s kids attended the LA elementary school that is now Crossroads. His first job was as a PA at age 14 on LA Law, co-created by Bochco, who became his mentor. Fresh out of college, Wootton, who was an apprentice on the second season of NYPD Blue, joined the staff and stayed for 12 years, also rising through the ranks to executive producer in Seasons 10-12.

Olmstead, and Wottoon previously teamed with Bochco to co-create and co-write the series Blind Justice and the pilot NYPD 2069. Olmstead and Wottoon also worked on another cop drama co-created by Bochco, Brooklyn South, and Wootton co-created with Bochco City of Angels.

As he started thinking about rebooting NYPD Blue under his overall deal at ABC Studios, Olmstead met with Bochco, who gave them his blessing for the project just four days before his death.

“Steven was just unflappable. All of the writers, he guarded us like we were his kids,” Wootton said following Bochco’s passing. Added Olmstead, “The man was a prince, a total gentleman and what he did was borderline magical. Generous, kind and nurturing, beyond being wildly talented. Just one of a kind.”

Wootton most recently served as executive producer of CBS/CBS TV Studios’ drama series Scorpion for its four-season run. He became available in May when the series was canceled. Olmstead was executive producer/showrunner of NBC’s Chicago Fire. He also co-created and served as executive producer/showrunner on its spinoff Chicago PD.

ABC successfully revived Roseanne last season before the series was dramatically canceled following a racist tweet by star Roseanne Barr, spawning a spinoff series, The Conners. For next season, the network also has Bewitched and Designing Women reboots in development.

“I don’t necessarily want to dive into rebooting for the sake of rebooting,” ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey told Deadline in August. “I’m certainly open to a reboot if something comes to me with the right creative or a spin on the creative that makes sense.”

Olmstead is repped by WME and Bloom Hergott. Wootton is repped by WME and Hirsch Wallerstein.

Stillhouse, MikaelaArsenault and MMM like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

excited about this

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm a huge NYPD blue fan so of course I'm in, but if a fella named Milch ain't involved, I ain't expecting much!;)

4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Forgot Sipowitz had a second son.

milankey and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Both parents murdered. This cop will have many issues.

Loved the original run of NYPD Blue. I lost interest after the Bobby Simone departure.
    I'd be willing to give this one a try, though.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved NYPD Blue very interested in this.

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

How original!

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Burying the lead here...any word on whose butts...?

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

At least it’s not a reboot or remake this time.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Next thing you know they will bring back David Caruso :)!!!

wayne66 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the original series, so will probably give this one a try when it makes its appearance.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The only way this will work for me is if they do things the old-fashioned way, meaning ;

- No slick production with establishing shots, aggressive color-correction, spotless sets, smooth camera movement, etc.
    - No countless models polluting the screen. Give me real actors who looks like real people.
    - If the protagonist is a serious actors able to carry the role.
    - It isn't PC.
    - The dialogue is good and flows naturally. If it sounds over-prepared or is just boring,

If any of these conditions are broken, it won't fly with me. They're swimming upstream without Milch so I have low expectations.

13. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

If Sipowicz Jr. wears short sleeve shirts with neck ties then I am all IN!!!!

If not - HARD PASS.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

We'll immediately know what's up when we see Jr. If the character's a Hollywood 'pretty boy', that'll be strike one. Andy always had 'pretty boy' partners, but could never be considered one himself. Although I recall heavy interest in a shower scene he did!;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

That would be an interesting idea. Caruso would be the veteran cop and Sipowitz would be the young cop. Team them up as partners. The only thing I do not like is them killing off Andy Sipowitz. Let the guy live long and prosper. Maybe he can do the occasional guest appearance. No violent end for him please.

16. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Considering the animosity between Steven Bocho and David Caruso, I doubt Jesse will be giving him a call.

17. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I know Caruso left on bad terms. He did eventually recover and starred in CSI Miami. So maybe he has matured a bit. I am not even sure what happened back then. It was so long ago.

18. Strat-Mangler

Dennis Franz isn't interested. They asked him.

wayne66 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'd be happy to see ANYBODY from the ol' days! If Franz can't make it to the party, bring back the only other character featured from start to finish, Greg Medavoy!;)

20. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Love the original show, but not interested in a sequel. To me the way the original show ended was perfect, and continuing it the way they intend to (including killing off Sipowicz, although I get their reasons) undermines the development for those characters in the original run.

It's why I don't ever want to see a sequel to "Monk" for example; once a story is fully wrapped up in a neat little bow, any attempt to continue the show with a new set of characters ruins the tidy resolution for me. Sure, the original ending will always be there, but I won't be able to watch it anymore without thinking "oh, but x character is going to die a miserable death someday". I don't want to be depressed while watching a happy ending.

Karnak likes this.
  21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I never watched NYPD Blue all that much but I was thinking the other day I sure hope they don't resurrect Hill Street Blues.

I guess all bets are off.

"Let's be careful out there."

MaestroDavros likes this.
  22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Maybe.

A friend of mine is a reporter and covers "The Industry." He did several interviews with Steven Bocho when he was alive and always told me Bocho hated Caruso with a passion. He was always diplomatic about other people but the gloves came off when discussing Caruso. So I would guess Jesse would be none to fond of him either. But time and old wounds tend to go together so who ultimately knows.

MaestroDavros and wayne66 like this.
  23. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I knew that Dennis Franz is retired. Still, I would prefer to think that the character had a happy ending. If this storyline happens, then I will watch those old NYPD Blue episodes and realize that Andy was killed, just like his son and his wife. Also Bobby died young and so did Rick Schroeder's character. That is too much death for me.

24. Strat-Mangler

It's just a show.

25. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Yes it is just a show. I am not agonizing over it. It is just my preference on how they should proceed with the show if they do attempt to try it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.