SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That's right!

2. Steve Hoffman

No, .38 special only. I mean, it's a bear to shoot because of the super short muzzle, but if shoot I must, I have to be able to aim and fire without my hand being blown back..

hi_watt and Done A Ton like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

The Lucas guy and I picked out the stuff, he had the last word, obviously. He brought along all 40 session reels to LRS in Burbank. I was impressed..

hi_watt, Tuco, supermd and 6 others like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Speakers for a Fisher receiver? Well, almost anything will do, I have a pair of Rogers LS3/5a's right now but I've had my Tannoys and even my Venture Speakers hooked to my 800B at one time or another (just for fun).

Any good deal, grab 'em.

Burning in a CD player, nah, just enjoy it. I mean, give it a week to get used to it's new home and then just play it when you feel like it.

Saw Led Zep, Floyd, Who, Stones, everyone. At the Forum, Universal Ampi, Greek, Hollywood Bowl, etc. Wore plugs for almost all of them.

5. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Yes, I've not gotten that brave. Have my dad's old 3" Ruger Service Six for that and it's still a bear with 125 g. Got a Freedom Arms coming in a few months and a 10mm Wilson then-a bit more weight for the screamers. I'll get off this topic now-music forum and all-just got interested on that point.

6. Steve Hoffman

That Ruger Service Six is a great piece. Well made. 1970's baby!

cwd likes this.
  7. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Steve: Any disco albums you would like to remaster? What are your favorites from this genre?

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Sure. Bee Gees, Donna, the usual. Most of that stuff was wonderfully recorded.

grx8, andrewskyDE, JeffreyB and 10 others like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Hoffman-mastered Bee Gees and Donna Summer. . . :drool:

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I know, right?

George P likes this.
  11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes

12. Steve Hoffman

Put yourself in my position. I'm watching a jazz recording session. They are striving to do one song to everyone's satisfaction. Even pro players blow a clam, so inserts are done, edits are made and everyone is satisfied. Then, on to the next song. All is well.

Now, these same players have to record a direct-to-disk gimmick album, six songs in a row, no mistakes, no stopping. One bad note and the entire side has to be scrapped and started over again. 23 minutes of music. By the last song on the side, everyone is nervous, no one is going out on a limb, everyone is playing it safe so they don't blow the entire side. No one is happy at the end, everyone took the safe way out on every song. Is the sound quality "better"? Not really, just more treble. Is the performance better? No, way down the scale.

See? This is why direct-to-disk LP's do nothing for me.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes. I see your point. I guess I was just thinking along the lines of the recording process and the resulting sound. Can you imagine the Beatles recording the White Album direct to disc? Lol, they would have killed each other.

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Can you recommend any good sounding Blondie CD’s? I was surprised DCC only did “Parallel Lines” but I guess it didn’t sell?

Also can you recommend any Parliament or Funkadelic CD’s? Sound quality can seem hit or miss on those.

15. Steve Hoffman

Nothing for you, sorry. Best sounding Blondie was cut on vinyl by Steve Hall. The benchmark.

hi_watt, C6H12O6 and uzn007 like this.
  16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Best sounding Blondie CD's (apart from the DCC) are the Japanese "Supermasters" reissues from the 90's.

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I loved the Chrysalis Blondie remasters from around 2000. I thought they were the best-sounding CDs of their material, although they were clearly heavily processed, since none of them sounded much like the original records apart from Autoamerican. In fact, whoever did those remasters made them all sound like Autoamerican, which was an odd decision, but one I can't particularly fault, since Autoamerican was the only Blondie LP that sounded really good in my opinion, the others being decidedly lo-fi affairs in one form or another.

In fact, I can recall some gearheads in college back in '89 complaining about how awful the Parallel Lines LP sounded. I always figured it was retro-intentional.

The DCC of Parallel Lines sounds like the original LP only better. If you want something that's accurate but polished, that's the one to get. Those circa-2000 Chrysalis remasters have that somewhat clinical sound most '90s remasters possessed, although they're a bit warmer and with substantially richer bass than you'd get on most remasters from that era, and not as pinched in the midrange as, say, the Ryko Bowie remasters.

It was all about clarity that decade. Clarity is overrated, although it's a good starting point.

Jarleboy and mozz like this.
  18. in-the-groove

in-the-groove Forum Resident

I love your mastering of “Don’t Leave Me This Way” on the Razor and Tie “Super ‘70s” cd. Easily trounces the original 12” and lp. I wish it was the full length version.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, so do I.

20. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Apologies Steve if this has been asked before (or in another way) but I was curious as to whether you have any particular piece of music you reach for when you are evaluating a new piece of gear or a whole system? If you do, what is it about that recording that you listen for?

21. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Steve, how long per day would you spend working on the mastering process. I'm afraid I know little of the process myself (although I like the results!) Do you tire of hearing the same thing over and over?

And have you ever reluctantly agreed to remaster something when you felt like the original was already perfect, or would you decline it?

I only own a few bits of your work, but my wife and I love your Buddy Holly From the Original Tapes CD, and my dad adores your mastering of Elvis is Back! So much I had to hunt a copy after he played it to me, it's one I use to impress friends.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  22. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Steve, just wanted to thank you for two previous tips:
    Strange Brew-Very Best of Cream Polydor CD &
    Waterloo Sunset Stereo and setting up your stereo soundfield.

23. Steve Hoffman

Used to, not any more. I can pretty much figure it out by listening to any old thing.

24. Steve Hoffman

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it depends on the album. Sometimes I can do an entire album in 90 minutes. Sometimes a week or even a month depending on the condition. This of course does not count any pre-production work needed.

25. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Steve, my son is sound designer (tv and cinema) and tells me that he is concerned of being influenced by the technology. He says that he has the impulse of thinking on the tools at his disposal before deciding the sound for the project in which he is working. He has posed a question for you: do you think that protools, and technology in general, has shaped the music in the last decades? Would the music nowadays be different if instead of protools a different workflow for the recording and mixing processes had been developed? How would the music have been evolved?

ParloFax and All Down The Line like this.