"The Deuce" - HBO Series with James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tone, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Some things regarding the last two episodes:
    The west side docks were a lot messier and dangerous than shown, the floors were wooden, not concrete, people would fall through the rot and drown.
    The bathhouse scene was fairly accurate, although the glass doors on the private rooms didn't strike me as correct.
    I seriously doubt Sarah Vaughn would have performed at a gay bar/club, no matter how swank.
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is still the main reason to watch the show, and the story line of her trying to get her film done is the most intriguing/entertaining thing in a season that seems to be sorely lacking in direction.
    If it gets to season 3, I'm guessing the fallout from AIDS is going to have a major impact on a lot of the characters.

2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm certain in the next season, supposed set in 1982, the bar owner will have come down with AIDS

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Probably, although the nice gay guy who dies routine is very old. But it would be in keeping with the reality of the times.
    I'm curious to see where they plan on going with that married guy from the police commissioner's (?) office. The "straight" guy who turns out to be bi or gay character is another trope that needs to be retired.
    Interesting that they're ceding a bit of power to the prostitutes and taking the pimps down a few notches in status.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. jjhunsecker

Since his character is the gay guy that we know best and like, having him contact HIV would make it a more invested storyline

Perhaps the diminishment of the pimps is to reflect the reality that by the mid-1980s, street prostitution was close to non-existant in Times Square. It have moved to the Far West Side, the Lower East Side, and Madison and Park in the 20s and 30s. Not to say that Times Square still wasn't very sleazy, but by then the hookers and pimps were pretty much gone.

ralphb likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

For a David Simon show, It's surprisingly tame. While I wasn't expecting ultra-violence, the pimps on this show act like they're from Mr. Rogers neighborhood! Its especially frustrating when you think that the show is based in one of the most notorious areas during one of the most notorious times in the original Sin City! The show feels about as dangerous as present-day 42nd st. & Times Square, where the craziest thing that happens is getting goosed by Spiderman!

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Why not? Bette Midler did.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I don't know whether Sarah V. played gay venues or not but Bette Midler's early years were all about the amazing shows she was doing at those places. If I remember it right, her shows at the gay bathhouse were legendary. I was living in NY at the time, in my 'clubbing' phase, and although I never got to see her, the 'buzz' was white hot about tbe divine Miss M!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Maybe now. I think C.C. is going to crack by the end of this season and Dorothy, Larry and Lori are all likely to end up dead.

Dayfold likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

10. jjhunsecker

The Victory theater is now the New Victory Theater- which features plays for children !!!

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true, and some would turn to hooking when strung out but really not the norm

I discovered this a while back, glad its still up, and barry on piano!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    swedwards1960 likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the Linda Lovelace for President film is pretty rough, I think its on amazon prime, I think Annette haven almost got the Melanie Griffith role in Body Double, but its a hard road for most...oh yeah Marilyn chambers was in Rabid

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Annette I honestly think was the closest shot at a real cross over that could be taken seriously. Thing is that she really liked her main career so didn't really push it or wasn't reall accepted anway. A little of both I guess.

Great examples.

the pope ondine and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. jjhunsecker

The hooking was more common than you might think, but it was very much "under the radar"

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Georgia Spelvin had a legit career as well, (though she was usually playing prostitutes, ironically.) Film critic Judith Crist said of the opening scene of The Devil In Miss Jones - "Oscars have been won for worse work."

16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Very true...much worse.

17. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I love the show, both series 1 and the current seeise so far. It's the only show i like where it can feel like very little happened, but it was still interesting and engrossing.

Dayfold likes this.
  18. jjhunsecker

Second season ended tonight- I really enjoyed this show. Perhaps being a NYer who grew up in that era helped me relate even more

trumpet sounds and JackBnimble like this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So... did I miss something or did we never find out who killed Ashley?

20. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Yes, you did miss Spoiler alert.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Alright, then...I'm off to "On-Demand" IT!

realkilroy likes this.
  22. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I sure hope they mopped the floor, replaced the seats and cleaned the bathrooms! :biglaugh:

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Unless you could show me sub-molecular atomic Jetsons-type cleaning....nah, check that. Knowing what went down in those sleazepits how could any rational adult bring their children there!? Answer: out of town tourists, guess ignorance IS bliss! They'll never know how much of the TRUE NYC experience they're actually getting!;)

24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Just finished watching the last episode and I have no idea who killed Ashley.

25. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I believe he was saying that you missed putting "spoiler alert" in your post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.