“The Conners” to premiere October 16th 2018 on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, if it stays down, it will tell me that the sole reason people watched the reboot with Barr was purely for political reasons.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I don’t agree. I think nostalgia had a huge amount in the ratings of Roseanne season 10. Once that wore out, the 11th season ratings would have declined. Politics I don’t think had that heavy hand. People wanted the Conners.

goodiesguy, Kyhl, dalem5467 and 2 others like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's really impossible to say, because we will have no idea what the ratings would have been this season with Roseanne. Last season, the show debuted with huge ratings which gradually declined and seemed to level off. But we have no way of knowing whether they wouldn't have continued to decline this season if Roseanne had not been fired.

I'm skeptical politics was a reason why many people were watching the show, because aside from the first episode the show was not very political at all, and it certainly wasn't one-sided in what politics it did present. Politics may be a reason some people are not watching the show this year (ie, they are boycotting it to support Roseanne) but it remains to be seen how much of an effect that might have on overall viewership.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was disappointed in the first episode because of the political stuff shoe-horned into it. I was much happier with the subsequent episodes because they weren't as overtly political. I would have tuned out if the rest of the episodes had been like the first one.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought they were pretty fair to both sides and it was a well balanced show, which is why I appreciated it. Most television is leaning too far in one direction now so it was refreshing to include the viewpoints of both sides. I thought it was a show that could potentially help bring people better understand each other, which more media should be attempting to do instead of driving this wedge between us further and further.

I don't need every episode to harp on current events, but as an opener it was good to see where everyone stood and what sort of things have transpired to the family since we last saw them. It was better to address the elephant and donkey in the room and get it out of the way right off the bat. Then we could move on to more personal storytelling.

I finally caught the new show last night and overall I liked it. I'm on board for more. I am a bit concerned that the loss of Roseanne will allow the scales tip a little too far in one direction but I'm hoping for the best. It wasn't a show full of laughs but due to the circumstances it's understandable. I expect more humor next time. I did get a couple of chuckles, though.

7. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I liked the fairness: Rosanne supported Trump and Jackie did not.

They did they fair thing and had Jackie apologize to Rosanne.

Simply: fair.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't think people watched Roseanne because of her politics; they watched for her, because she was "a bull in a china shop". A brash, impolite reaction to the world around her and her viewers. People resonated with that, and it just so happens there is a political climate right now that caters to that same dynamic, where you can win an intentionally-civilized debate with the audience, if you lower the bar from poking fingers, to poking fingers in eyes. Thus, a quantifiable target demographic to service with entertainment.

I don't think that same quality can be delivered when you capture and neuter the bull in such a public fashion, then make the show all about the rest of the cast sitting around talking about, "hey, remember when that china shop got trashed...?".

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't remember that happening. They made fun of both sides.

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Aunt Jackie gets a boyfriend! Matthew Broderick joins Laurie Metcalf on The Conners

Aunt Jackie gets a boyfriend! Matthew Broderick joins Laurie Metcalf on The Conners

[​IMG]

PATRICK GOMEZ/Entertainment Weekly
    October 19, 2018 at 04:00 PM EDT

Matthew Broderick is headed to The Conners!

The actor will be appearing this season as “Peter,” a love interest for Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) and fans can expect to see him make his debut in the Halloween episode airing Oct. 30 at 8 p.m. ET.

And the guest stars don’t begin and end with Broderick. Tuesday’s episode — titled “Tangled Up in Blue” — will feature Johnny Galecki returning as Darlene’s (Sara Gilbert) ex David, Juliette Lewis as David’s new love, Blue, and Justin Long as Neil.

The debut episode of The Conners, which was spun off from Roseanne after the series was canceled following the firing of the the titular star — delivered 10.5 million viewers and a 2.3 rating among adults 18-49 on Tuesday. That’s down 55 percent from the premiere of Roseannelast spring, but was on par with Roseanne‘s finale and even managed to edge out NBC’s This Is Us for the night.

The Conners airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

11. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

No politics, please.

12. AKA

Thank you. I don’t want yet another thread about this show to get closed.

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No -- Politics makes threads hot and not good....... One thing I like about Steves site,not really any political threads here :)

genesim, The Hud and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

What is he, 20 years younger than her? Odd choice.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He's seven years younger. He's 56, she's 63.

Laurie was married for many years to the actor who played Jackie's abusive boyfriend Fisher on Roseanne... he's two years younger than Matthew.

16. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Ok, thanks. I thought Laurie was older than that.

17. Squealy

I figured you thought Matthew was younger!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe Forum Resident

Only 7 years difference in age, but still weird casting.

19. AKA

It’s about the same age difference as Laurie and George Clooney, who played Jackie’s first love interest.

20. AKA

Tonight’s episode was really solid, and felt a lot more like the old show than any episode of season 10.

It looks like Becky’s alcoholism is going to be a story arc this season. After Roseanne’s death from her own addiction, Becky’s problem is sure to be a huge cause of concern for the family. On a related note, I wondered last season if Mark’s cause of death was going to be explained as an overdose, not only because that’s what killed Glenn Quinn, but because Becky (before Dan realized Roseanne had a drug problem) seemed more alarmed than the other characters that her mom was taking a lot of painkillers.

With The Big Bang Theory ending this season, I hope Johnny Galecki can do more than one Conners episode next year if the show gets renewed for a second season. It’s good to see that the ice is thawing between Dan and David; I loved to see those two interact in the old days.

Random thought: it’s kind of awkward that the siblings from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation are lovers on The Conners.

stuwee, 905, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The second episode was pretty good. It did seem more like the old days. I'm sticking with it.

AKA, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. 905

905 Senior Member

Very happy with last night's episode. I was also thinking about Johnny Galecki appearing more next season (crossing fingers) with his current show ending.

And Becky was my favorite character last season, and so far this one.

AKA and Holy Diver like this.
  23. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Last night cemented the glue of the characters the Conner's were/are, so nice to see David back, Johnny's acting chops are superb :righton:. The writers gave him the right lines and he delivered them in perfect David...Loved it! The use of music to distract...Brilliant!! The Conners are back :goodie: :goodie:.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Squealy

I guess David didn't bring Blue to Roseanne's funeral? Did she have one?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. AKA

One of the very first lines spoken in the first episode was “It’s been three weeks since Granny Rose’s funeral. Why are people still sending us casseroles?”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.