SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

And one question, any recommendations for Billie Holiday on record or CD?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't know HOW it would have evolved, but it certainly would have evolved, yes. Having lot's of tools at your disposal doesn't mean you have to constantly use them. Doesn't even mean you need to be influenced by them. Sometimes it's better to unhook most of it. That separates the artist from the hack really quickly..

3. Steve Hoffman

I mastered a Billie, Decca stuff, there are some early Verve CD's that are pretty good, the later ones are bright and unlovely though. Dennis Drake mastered only.

Can't speak for the audiophile Billie out there. Too much treble boost usually on the ones I've heard.

Starwanderer and Dee Zee like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

and the "BING CROSBY SINGS AGAIN" CD for the mid-range... ;)

5. Steve Hoffman

"You are too beautiful for one dude alone...."

Simon A and RiRiIII like this.
  6. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

For Verve look for Dennis Drake mastered cds. One favorite in this forum is The Silver Collection. For the older stuff look for the Teddy Wilson cds on HEP Records and the Jazz Greats comp on MC, all mastered by the late J.R.T. Davis. And of course From The Original Decca Masters, mastered by our host.

7. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

I find this in all the engineering disciplines - audio or otherwise. I've got kids working under me from VA Tech, CMU, Penn State, etc... and it's surprising how much they rely on the technology without really doing the engineering.

With sound design, I find a lot of what's on network and cable to have post work where it's obvious they really don't understand how to mix dialog, FX, and music. For instance the physics that voiceovers have a lot more peak info and that a lot of the synth generated FX and music they use contains higher RMS levels. When that hits the final dynamics processing you can hear obvious issues.

I recall back in the day that a Sony Trinitron broadcast 19" monitor was used to qual post audio for intelligibility. If you could understand the dialog on that and the FX/music was balanced you were good to go. My one friend does a lot of post work down in GA and mentioned how many times companies get what I think he called asset rejection from production houses.

In the other engineering I do, I recently had one of our younger ME VA Tech grads in my lab/shop. I was showing him an adapter for mic stands and mentioned the weird 5/8-27 internal thread I had to single point cut on a lathe. He asked, "How do you make threads?"

All the machine shops here in DC always tell me stories of of stuff people send to get fabbed that's either really expensive or just not possible.

"Well, Solidworks let me do it..."

Uh... yea... OK...

One of things lacking in post facilities as well as the other disciplines seems to be the lack of mentoring under a true craftsman of the trade.

"What makes an expert is not knowing what to do
    It's that you've done it so many times wrong that you know what NOT to do..."

As to DAWs allowing things like autotuning, beat slicing it seems to at times get i the way of the magic. And it effects not only the engineers approach, it really seems to have affected the players themselves - where they rely on the tech. There's little vibe left in a lot of the recordings. I do a lot of metal sessions and when I mentioned to one of my day job engineers how they meticulously adjust the double kick MIDI data from triggers, it really bummed him out.

Spirit Crusher, ParloFax and lrpm like this.
  8. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

+1 on the Silver Collection. Drake is king.

weirdo12, Dee Zee and lrpm like this.
  9. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Damn! And they both sound phenomenal!

10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yeah, me too!

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Meli

Meli Forum Resident

What do you think of the effects, positive and negative, when upmixing stereo music with Dolby Surround (or similar) to play back on a 5.1 system?

12. Steve Hoffman

I think it's totally pointless but knock yourself out!

showtaper, marcb, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  13. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Steve you replied “Every time”

Has it ever been a nightmare to get a first pressing as a reference copy?

2trackmind likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I found a mint unplayed Billie Holliday Story double LP last week on original Decca label from the 50’s that sounds pretty terrific. Remarkably clean and great presence on her voice depending on the track.

teag, Dee Zee and All Down The Line like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

No. I can get anything, we either buy it or it’s loaned. Never had a problem, everyone is eager to help.

ashlee5, g.z., andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  16. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Steve, have you ever mastered for streaming or digital download? I mean, itunes, HDtracks etc. If not, would you be willing to? Would you master for a lossy sound format? (not being a movie, but straight music). In such a case, would your approach to mastering be different?

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

FWIW, John R. T. Davies mastered a comprehensive series of Teddy Wilson CD's for the Hep Records (a highly-regarded jazz label based in Scotland, now sadly defunct), and pretty much all of her Brunswick recordings are included. This is because everything she recorded with Brunswick was done under Wilson's name, while everything that's credited under her own name was released on the Vocalion label. They're all worth getting, but be warned later pressings were done on CD-R's - nice looking CD-R's but still CD-R's. Things got pretty lean for Hep towards the end...

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Dear host, could you imagine to remaster/improve the sound of Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

As I've written many times, my mastering stays the same, always. What a company does with it is up to them..

Grant and Keith V like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Speaking of Eno, do you also like Ambient music?

Machiventa likes this.
  21. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Other than the previously mentioned legal issues with The Rolling Stones catalog, which artists' work presented the most difficulty as far as remastering it for DCC or AF?

22. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Are there any standout albums you would like to do a remix of? If so what ones?
    Also, is there anything in the near future for you that you may remix?

I have really loved your work on mastering so many great albums (and I have quite a lot of them over the years), your work has expanded my musical appreciation- exploring many new things that I may not have checked out had you not been associated to it. Thanks! And thanks for "the forum" and its members.

23. Steve Hoffman

Difficulty? How? As in "can't find the tapes" or something else? Bad sound?

24. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Steve - Thanks again for this thread (and for the whole forum, for that matter). So informative.

Are you aware of any instances where individual songs from your masters were used in compilations, or soundtracks, or promos? (Anything other than the original intent that you went into the project with)

If so, do you know if they were just straight digital copies, or were they edited in any way?

25. Steve Hoffman

No, I have no idea. A lot though. Never kept track, sadly. Unless royalties were involved..

Jack_Straw likes this.