Robyn Hitchcock. Your favorite album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Globe Of Frogs followed by Fegmania!

2. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Gotta Let This Hen Out, followed by Fegmania.

Culpa likes this.
  3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

My top three:
    I Often Dream Of Trains
    Globe Of Frogs
    Robyn Hitchcock

4. captone

captone Forum Resident

Fegmania would be my fave
    but Black Snake Diamond Role, Globe Of Frogs, Queen Elvis, I Often Dream Of Trains, Eye & Respect are all excellent

3rd Uncle Bob and ash1 like this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Gotta Let This Hen Out. Live album.

GreenFuz, Culpa and ash1 like this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Those were the ones I was going to mention as well. Also Moss Elixer.

JL6161 and fallbreaks like this.
  7. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Fegmania really captures that great psychedelic pop meets English Syd Barrett weirdness vibe .
    One of my favorite album of all time to be honest
    His early stuff with the Soft Boys then the Egyptians is the best really.
    Songs about seashells , insects , fruits : lovely

palisantrancho, DrJ, Culpa and 2 others like this.
  8. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

Element of Light

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Black Snake Diamond Role

palisantrancho and marc with a c like this.
  10. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Honestly? Whichever one is playing at the time. But if I were limited to 6?

Underwater Moonlight
    I Often Dream Of Trains
    Propeller Time
    Fegmania
    A Star For Bram
    Black Snake Diamond Role

(In no particular order.)

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Another vote for I Often Dream Of Trains here. Usually with Hitchcock I like a handful of songs rather than the album as a whole but that album's very consistent. Now I think about it though I don't think he could get away with “Uncorrected Personality Traits” in today's climate of sexual politics.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  12. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I first saw Robyn in Cambridge (England) in 1975 with Maureen and the Meatpackers.

The very early Soft Boys tapes (available on the 2CD compilation 1976-82) are still among my favourites. I always think RH is at his best when he's being himself and not trying too hard to please others - therefore I don't care for the Venus 3 CDs much - apart from the amazing put-down song 'Sixteen Years' which I'm sure is about Maureen (also mentioned in the equally amazing zeitgeist-capturing '1974'....'Pythons' last series...' etc).

Current favourites are Element of Light with all the extra tracks (some of which were completed just too late for inclusion on the LP), Fegmania, Black Snake, Tromso Kaptein, Star for Bram and Can of Bees with the original October 78 track-listing!

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

One of the things that I love about Robyn Hitchcock is that he doesn't change too much, but he doesn't bore me either. There are so many traps that artists can fall into and being consistent is one of them (Richard Thompson, Graham Parker). It's unfair, but it is just so hard for an artist to continually top him or herself, decade after decade. Elvis Costello is the opposite, always throwing a curveball (an annoying curveball, if I'm honest). Robyn varies his approach with each album, but unless it's an acoustic-based session, the differences in ensemble and production are fairly subtle. He always sounds like Robyn Hitchcock, he's always good and I always enjoy his latest release (if some more than others).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  14. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Another shout for Gotta Let This Hen Out.

15. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It’s worth looking for the Kershaw Sessions live disc for its fabulous harmonies with his acoustic trio. Great songs too!

Storefront Hitchcock is a wonderful live album, and I heartily recommend the vinyl version which has many more songs than the CD version (which is also good.)

Spooked is great, Jewels for Sophia is great, Moss Elixir is great.

Underwater Moonlight is mandatory if you don’t already have it.

Plus I’d like to say, it’s worth seeing him live if he comes to your town. I’ve seen him probably 40 times and have never been disappointed.

He is truly a treasure. Love that guy.

lightbulb, JL6161 and Instant Dharma like this.
  16. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

It's hard to pick just one, but I will represent for the heretofore unmentioned Jewels for Sofia. Also I Often Dream if Trains, Elements of Light, and Eye would be contenders.

DrJ and marc with a c like this.
  17. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I'm stuck on I Often Dream Of Trains because I was around 15 when it first came out and I was just getting into home recording and DIY stuff, so it opened up a whole new world of ideas to me. That album also hangs together conceptually as its own work of art, in a unique way that I don't think any of his other albums ever got quite to that "timeless" or "outside it all" sort of level. The album in its original form is like a complete little world, it's funny and dark at the same time, it covers certain bases and themes, everything you expect to see is in there and it's all completely mapped out, fully realized, and there's something really interesting to be found in every nook and cranny.

mr. steak likes this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

I only have Fegmania and Globe of Frogs. In the first case, it was playing in a record store; in the second, I heard Balloon Man on the radio. I like the music well enough, and I might have been inclined to investigate further if it weren't for the purposely wacky lyrics.

19. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

Queen Elvis and Eye for me although I think his recent stuff is also very strong

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Storefront Hitchcock

Dennis Metz likes this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Fegmania - incredible

But also love Eye, Element of Light, Trains, and Globe of Frogs.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  22. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Element of Light (very serious) and Ole Tarantula (very fun).

23. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

He is the Lou Gehrig of rock, the all time champ for the longevity of his exellence.

I put Neil Young at #2. And #3 is basically anyone with four LP string. I am hard to please.

JL6161 and theclogs2002 like this.
  24. Fegmania. Element of Light and Gotta Let This Hen Out all rank. Basically, his first six albums are all great it just comes down to my mood. It's hard to top a song like "Egyptian Cream" and I love the live version of "Only The Stones Remain" (which kills the studio version by The Soft Boys).

Robyn and his backing band of the time were pretty amazing.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  25. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Ludicrous question, considering the breadth and quality of the whole catalog, but lately I have had a real soft spot for Moss Elixir. Not sure why.

fallbreaks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.