Sony UBP-X800 UHD 4K Universal Player Target $90 Clearance

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Chris Gerhard, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Senior Member Thread Starter

Thesmellofvinyl, dee, mrjinks and 8 others like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I saw this the other day at my local and have been hoping/praying that it lasts until Friday when I get paid.

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

One store has limited stock for $150. All the $90 are gone. Thanks for the link.

4. Chris Gerhard

Yesterday I had one store with "In Stock" at $150, this morning that store showed as "In Stock" at $90, before I walked out the door it was "Limited Stock" and by the time I got to the store there was one on the shelf. Check often, it might drop to $90 before it sells and my guess is when "Limited Stock" is shown that is almost certainly one.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Target's website lists them for $299. How does Brickseek get those prices?

6. Chris Gerhard

It is a clearance price and each individual store has flexibility as to pricing, Brickseek gets the price from the specific Target store. It isn't perfect and isn't guaranteed but in my experience, it has always been correct when I have checked. It is in-store only, the $299 price is for online ordering at the original Target price.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Thanks to the OP.
    No $90 ones near me but one in another town my wife travels through twice a week and she was able to buy it this morning.

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Picked it up today at my local Target for $89! Did not see the post until now - when I was going to alert people here myself. Great deal!
    Needed a backup for my Oppo 105!

Jeff Edwards likes this.
  9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I did find one last night as well.

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Got lucky and snagged 3.....:bdance:

Just kidding...but did get 1..

11. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Got the last one in my area, I don’t really need it but dang it I got one

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Adventures in BrickSeek...

Smarting from the MassDrop crash & burn of the Pioneer player, I gave this thread a look and decided last Friday to give it a shot. Perhaps this Sony would be a nice consolation prize at a mere fraction of the price.

Went by the nearest Target last Friday afternoon which showed the player in stock at $90. I clearly wasn't at my best because one of these was on the shelf but I could have sworn the deal was for the UBP-X700 model so I walked away. After all, the higher number is the newer one, right? WRONG!

Saturday morning. I realized my error but was not far from another Target which the site showed as in-stock so I went by there. No dice, the site is not infallible. Though it may be shown as in-stock, Target calls them ghosts when they cannot find the product. Not that far out of my way to go by the original Target. The UBP-X800 was gonzo.

Sunday, stewing over the missed opportunity.

Monday, had a meeting out towards LA so I went by a Target in Compton where the site was showing the player at the $149 price point. They had two, grabbed one. Felt better. On the way home from work, went by a Target which was selling the unit for $90 to see about a price adjustment. Nope. They'd take the return but it'd have to be "processed and hit the floor" before I could buy it again. Oh well, still seems like a nice price at $149.

Tuesday. Now I'm obsessing. This purchase was a want more than a need but now I needed it at the lower price more than I cared to admit because I screwed up on Friday. There were a couple options not too far from the office. Zipped down to Westminster at lunch, in-stock...NOT! Do I venture out a bit further, about 15 minutes into Huntington Beach? Hopes not especially high but I gave it a shot. To my utter shock, there it was, sitting on the clearance shelf.

The odyssey is over! Disappointed this won't play PAL discs but I now have a SACD player and can go down that rabbit hole. First spin is Diana Krall's When I Look In Your Eyes SACD that I found earlier this year in a dollar bin. Absolutely sublime, it sounds amazing! Reviewing my Discogs, turns out I have 5 SACD's that I've found over the last year, paying less than $14 combined for all of them (Krall, Sting, Elton John and 2 by Can). Got some fun listening ahead of me.:agree:

Now I need a 4K TV. :(

ps - I intend to return the more expensive unit soon. If I do so at a Target which had it for $90, then it should be priced as such when the unit hits the floor. If anyone wants to time my return in an effort to get one of these gems, feel free to send a PM. I'll probably be getting this done this coming weekend.

dee likes this.
  13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I have a similar tale of woe but in the end, none of the stores had one that they could find even with a combined total of 5 units showing over 3 different stores.

I'll PM you to see about your unit that you were gonna return if you feel like shipping it to me...

14. Chris Gerhard

Good to see a few have found this deal at Target. Something I didn't mention but maybe should have, this player does not support Dolby Vision and apparently can not be updated for Dolby Vision, an optional HDR method that is highly regarded. Neither of my 4K TVs have Dolby Vision, 2017 models, so it is not much of an issue for me since I can't imagine I will buy another TV before 2025. It is however almost certainly a big reason why this player got so cheap so quickly.

Another issue of note, Sony has announced Gracenote support will end for this player and dozens of others next year, I think February.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank you for posting this deal despite the several day effort that was involved (totally self-inflicted).

I'm not an early adopter for most tech. My TV that this player is hooked to is pretty terrific and isn't a 4K. The Dolby Vision feature may or may not be a consideration whenever I get my next TV but regardless, the price of this player makes it practically disposable.

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks for the tip on this. I looked a few days ago, and the only stock listed was $150. However, I happened to be off work today, looked again, and there was “low stock” at one Target 20 miles away, but this time at $89. Figured it was worth a check and I had success. :)
    It’s worth noting, for those not finding these, that they might not be with the rest of the DVD players! I’d basically given up, when I saw a “clearance” endcap about 30 feet away from their (paltry) selection of players, and that’s where it was, along with some non-“electronic” items.

Also worth noting that about 30 minutes after purchasing, I checked the link again, and it now showed “out of stock”. So those statuses might be more accurate than people think...

dee likes this.
  17. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

I picked one of these up at the sale price of $89, so thank you for the post.

I was hoping to use this for audio probably more than video, but only have rca audio inputs on the systems I would be using it with. Is there a simple and cheap adapter for this problem?

18. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

One available in my area, tempting.... but no analog stereo outputs? I would have to run a second disc player to power my zone 2 which is 2.0. No thanks. Good price though if u need a 4K player.

19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yes, a new receiver! :hide:

20. dee

dee Senior Member

This player plays sacd and dvd-a?

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes

dee likes this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

Wow, thanks for the info, my Sony595(iirc) carousel no longer reads sacd on most or all hybrid sacd discs. It will play sacd-only discs. I have a pioneer dvd-a player I like but I already have too many separate components.

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

My 595 stopped reading discs properly some time ago as well.

Just keep in mind -- no analog outs on the x800. If your receiver or preamp doesn't have HDMI inputs, this player won't be useful to you unless you buy other new equipment that handles HDMI. I'm only pointing this out because that fact seems to be lost on some people who've purchased this and, in fact, surprised me when I bought one myself a year ago since I had never had a player before with no analog outs.

dee likes this.
  24. Chris Gerhard

I think about 99% of Blu-ray players sold today don't have analog output.

25. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. I always check for analog outs but haven't been paying attention to hardware in general the past few years so it might have slipped my mind. I'd be using this Sony blu for audio. It seems my Tascam 900(iirc) cd recorder, of all things to 'break' it seems the 'optical in' housing frame is damaged to the point where I can't get a fitted cable connection to it to read it. I don't think there's HDMI on the Tascam. There is a coaxial connection though, I just haven't used it before. I have a couple of components with HDMI, I've just never used any of them before. It's always been optical or analog. I guess I may consider those aspects of the player connectivity then but at that price... It's always something lol, formats and 'plugs'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.