Ikea Chopping Board for Turntable Isolation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJtheAudiophile, Oct 24, 2018.

1. DJtheAudiophile

DJtheAudiophile Active Member Thread Starter

Hello, I have a question. Would the Lämplig from Ikea make a decent isolation alternative for my turntable? I’m interested in it and would like to know if anyone ever used it. Thanks.

[​IMG]

LÄMPLIG Chopping board, bamboo - IKEA

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Can a chopping borad be used for cutting berad?

:)

3. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

hifisoup, Dave Mac, E.Baba and 3 others like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I need one for mine. And a granite slab below it.

quicksrt likes this.
  5. DJtheAudiophile

DJtheAudiophile Active Member Thread Starter

I saw this one too at my visit to Ikea. Do you use it with any isolation feet under the chopping board?

6. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Season it first.

roverb, Aftermath, sunspot42 and 14 others like this.
  7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Do you expect this chunk of grass to isolate your TT all by itself? Wood doesn't isolate anything, not even heat or cold, or anything from vibrations without using isolation feet or sheet foam.

I like sheet foam which can be bought at most craft stores rather than feet. The foam really does absorb the vibrations of the entire board and it's much cheaper than buying good isolation feet.

quicksrt, vinnn, F1nut and 1 other person like this.
  8. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

The best Ikea product for turntable isolation is the Lack range. These have a thick wooden honeycomb top, very light and non-resonant. It is the reason that (carbon fiber) honeycomb structures are used to manufacture space vehicles from because of those same reasons - light and non-resonant (important during launch).

The Lack tables are so ridiculously cheap it is worth buying one and just trying it out.

9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Interesting idea. How many sheets stacked together do you need to make it work well?

10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Without any doubt a Bamboo shelf is incredibly effective under my amp, with it supported on a inner tube. It looks like the APTITLIG is thicker than the LAMPLIG, Bamboo works because it's random structure present a difficult barrier, so I presume more is better.

izeek likes this.
  11. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

You guys prefer bamboo over maple or walnut? You can get some good deals on cutting boards on Amazon.

12. james

james Summon The Queen

My RP6 sits on top of an Expedit shelf. For shirts and giggles I tried a heavy cutting board under it...and then I tried a heavy cutting board sitting on vibrapods. I didn't notice any difference other than it looked goofy, so I went back to using the Rega unprotected.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2018
  13. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I used to use the cutting board in question -- paired up with a few Herbie's tender feet -- under my P3-24. It wasn't perfect but it helped significantly. YMMV

E.Baba, 33na3rd and 4xoddic like this.
  14. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

4xoddic likes this.
  15. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

16. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I tried the Ikea bamboo. The Ikea bamboo is very affordable, but I still prefer maple.

Wasabi likes this.
  18. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

The translation of LÄMPLIG to english is suitable, go on then... :)

19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

A board of wood or bamboo or whatever can never provide isolation. To be isolated from external vibration, something has to be decoupled from the source of the vibration, not connected to it, or there has to be something in place to redirect the vibration away from the component you're trying to isolate, or to convert the vibration into some other form of energy that can be dissipated, like heat.

Bamboo is a great material because it is lightweight and strong and rigid and sustainable. But if you stick a bamboo board under a turntable, you haven't isolated the turntable from the environment. You need to stick compliant elastomer feet under the turntable that convert movement to heat, or pneumatic isolation devices, or a sprung suspension, or something like that. Those will provide some degree of isolation But a board of wood doesn't provide decoupling or isolation. An inert rigid shelf of bamboo can bee a good shelf material, but unless the shelf is decoupled from the source of vibration, it won't isolate whatever is on it from the environment.

20. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Thanks. Yeah, I picked up a nice maple board earlier for $45 shipped on Amazon and have Herbie’s Grungebuster Dots and some spikes underneath. Now I need another base to go with another turntable I’m setting up. I’m thinking 2-3”ish maple or walnut but have seen some nice bamboo ones too. This turntable has a better rack (Pangea Vulcan TT) it’s sitting on to help.

33na3rd likes this.
  21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The Herbie's stuff is great, I use it under my maple also.

samwise and Wasabi like this.
  22. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Yeah, I contacted them and they said the Grungebuster Dots are better for under the base than the Big Fat Dots. I got the spikes on Amazon and have the Grungebuster Dots between them and the maple:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YDXQ4Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aCG0Bb3137T23

DJtheAudiophile and 33na3rd like this.
  23. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I just realized I have a (more or less) spare Brightstar isolation device. It's under my preamp, supporting iso-pods and iso-feet and why I have all that isolation under a preamp, I can't recall. Seems it's always just been there. I may just move the sandbox to underneath the amp to see what happens.

[​IMG]

Kyhl, ayrehead, Manimal and 2 others like this.
  24. thomand

thomand Forum Resident

WOW, That's the biggest amps I have ever seen. Guitar looks so small next to it :)

25. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

If you hit up the discount stores in your area like TJMAXX you may get lucky and find the thick BOOSBlocks chopping boards on the cheap. I got two big maple ones for about half of what they go for. Set them on some roller blocks and good to go.

DJtheAudiophile and 33na3rd like this.