Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Are you sure about that? From what I can tell from Keith Flynn's site, that mix popped up on both the 1997 CD issue of GI Blues and the From Memphis To Hollywood FTD.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

The 1997 CD was a remix, and the aforementioned FTD was of the mono mix.

Shawn, ClausH, DirkM and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

"Pocket Full Of Rainbows" is my favorite song on the album. It has such a nice melody. Carolyn Crawford's "My Smile Is Just A Frown" has a similar melody. Elvis even revisited the melody with the song "Angel" a few years later.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Are You Lonesome Tonight
    Written By :
    Lou Handman & Roy Turk

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, April 3-4, 1960 : April 4, 1960. splice takes 5 and 2

"Are You Lonesome Tonight?"
    [​IMG]
    US single sleeve
    Single by Elvis Presley
    B-side
    "I Gotta Know"
    Released November 1, 1960
    Format 7" single
    Recorded April 4, 1960 (RCA Studio B,Nashville, Tennessee)
    Genre Pop
    Length 3:07
    Label RCA Victor
    Songwriter(s) Lou Handman, Roy Turk
    Producer(s) Steve Sholes, Chet Atkins
    Music video
    "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" (audio) on YouTube
    In the final months of his service in the United States Army, Elvis Presley began experimenting with new material in anticipation of his return to recording.[20] His first recording session was scheduled for March 20, 1960,[21] and RCA's Studio B had recently been equipped with a new three-track recorder.[22] To improve the recording of Presley's voice, engineer Bill Porter had Telefunken U-47 microphones installed.[23] A follow-up session was scheduled for April.[24]

During the selection of material for the sessions, Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, suggested "Are You Lonesome Tonight?". The favorite song of Parker's wife, Marie Mott (who knew the song from Gene Austin's act, since he was also managed at the time by her husband[25]), it was the only time he intervened in Presley's choice of repertoire. Presley returned to the studio with his band, consisting of Scotty Moore, drummer D. J. Fontana, pianist Floyd Cramer, guitarist Hank Garland, bassist Bobby Moore, percussionist Buddy Harman, and the Jordanaires, on April 3.[26]

After the eight songs Parker needed for Elvis Is Back! were recorded, Presley moved on to his manager's request. At 4 am on April 4, the singer began recording "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", accompanied by acoustic guitar, drums, bass, and the backup group. He asked everyone else in the studio to leave the session, told Chet Atkins to turn the lights out, and performed the song with the spoken bridge. After the second take, Presley said to producer Steve Sholes, "Throw that tune out; I can't do it justice". Sholes told engineer Bill Porter to ignore Presley's order and asked the singer to do a new take, explaining that the Jordanaires had bumped into their microphone stand while recording in the dark. Presley performed the song once more, and that take became the master for the single.[27] At the very end of the song, the producer can be heard stapling the pages of the singer's contract together.[28]

"Are You Lonesome Tonight?" was not released for several months while RCA executives decided if the ballad reflected Presley's new style, but they and Parker ultimately decided to release the song. It was released as a single on November 1, 1960, with "I Gotta Know" on the B-side, and pressing was assigned to plants in New Jersey, Indianapolis and Los Angeles. Copies (with a sleeve featuring a smiling Presley in a chartreuse shirt against a blue background) were sent to 5,000 disc jockeys. Orders for the single began at 900,000 copies the first week and climbed to 1,200,000 during the second.[29]

The song debuted on Billboard's Top 40 at number 35 on November 14, moved a week later to number two and topped the chart by November 28 (replacing Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs' "Stay"). Presley's 15th chart-topping single,[30] it held the top position until January 9, 1961.[31] "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" peaked at number three on the R&B chart, remaining on it for ten weeks.[32] The song topped the Cash Box singles chart[33] and reached number 45 on the Cash Box country singles chart.[34] A month after its UK release it topped the UK Singles Chart.[35] Three months after its release, the single had sales of two million copies worldwide; that year, the Recording Industry Association of Americacertified it gold.[29]

A November 7, 1960 Billboard review called Presley's rendition a "warm and touching performance".[36] In a later review, AllMusic praised Presley's vocal range, calling "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" a "tender ... sugary ballad ... full of soul and intense and intimate power" defining "one of Presley's darkest moments".[37]

The success of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" made the song one of Presley's live staples. He performed it live for the first time on March 25, 1961, at a Bloch Arena benefit in Honolulu for the USS Arizona Memorial, one of Presley's four live performances between his return from the Army and his shift in career focus to acting.[38]

Returning to music in 1968, Presley included the song on his playlist for the NBC special Elvis and performed it live the following year during his first Las Vegasengagement.[39] A version of the song, recorded on August 26 and documenting Presley altering the words of the narration ("Do you gaze at your bald head and wish you had hair") and laughing through the rest of the bridge, was released in 1980 as part of the Elvis Aron Presley box set.[40] In 1982 this "laughing version" was a radio hit in the United Kingdom and reached number 25 on the British Singles Chart.[35] Presley included the song in his 1972 documentary, Elvis on Tour, and the 1977 CBSspecial Elvis in Concert.[40]

On March 27, 1992, the RIAA certified "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" double platinum.[41] In 2008 (the 50th anniversary of Billboard's Hot 100), the song was number 81 on the magazine's "Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs" list.[42]
    ---------------------------------
    This is probably one of Elvis' most well known songs. The vocal is masterful. I like the song, but it isn't a favourite. I think the spoken part, although very sincere, feels a little corny, but aside from that, it is a beautifully arranged and quite amazingly sung. These factors leave it floating somewhere in the middle for me.

5. mark winstanley

I Gotta Know

Written By :
    Matt Williams & Paul Evans

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, April 3-4, 1960 : April 4, 1960. take 2

"I Gotta Know" is a song recorded by Cliff Richard in September 1959 and Elvis Presley on 4 April 1960. The composer was Paul Evans; lyrics are by Matt Williams.[1]

Originally released by Presley as the B-side of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", it nevertheless reached number 14 on the charts.[1] It was engineered by Nashville sound pioneer Bill Porter. The single with "I Gotta Know" on the B-side went on to be one of the biggest-selling singles of 1960, peaking at number one on the Billboard pop chart from November 28 for six weeks and peaking at number three on the R&B charts.[2]

"I Gotta Know" is a love song in G major, described as a "mild rocker".[3] It is in the Doo-wop rhythm and blues style, progressing from G to C to D7.

Billboard published a list of the "RCA Victor chartmakers of 1960" in the 19 December 1960 edition, which included the hit with other successful recordings made at the famous RCA Victor Studios in Nashville that year.[4]
    ------------------------------------------
    This is a neat little song. Again nothing earth shattering but well presented and sung, but not in the upper echelon of Elvis Presley songs.

RSteven and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  6. I've never been a huge fan of the song Are You Lonesome Tonight (it's alright, just not adored to it), but when I listen to it on the original stereo vinyl of Golden Records 3 I get chills down my spine, the recording is that good and Elvis seems in the room.

Conversely, I do love I Gotta Know - the way Elvis' vocals work along side of The Jordanaires (which one of them is doing those vocals?) is awesome. Another one well worth listening to on Golden Records stereo vinyl, if you get the chance.

7. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Ray Walker, and yes I love the song for that reason too!

EDIT: Totally forgot that 2 of The Jordinaires were doing harmony with Elvis. Ray of course did the bass, but I'm unsure who did the tenor harmonies on this. I'm thinking Gordon Stoker, but it might have been Neal Matthews.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    RSteven, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  8. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Didn't know the Colonel was such a softy! I really like this song. Yes it is sweet and syrupy but Elvis' delivery is what takes a lot of the syrup away and transforms this into a heartfelt ballad. Considering the large number of over the top, overdone tearjerkers from other artists at this time, "Are You Lonsome Tonight?" is very very well done and underrated.

9. mark winstanley

I'm not knocking the song or delivery, it's really well done. I just find the talking bit a little too much, ya know?

Shawn and Dave112 like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How about this rendition from 1972? If only Elvis had consistently treated his hit-laden catalogue with the same commitment during his final decade:

11. Forgot to mention that I Gotta Know makes incredible use of reverb, where Elvis stops singing / the band stops playing and it's just that echo for two seconds. Like at the 23 and 46 second marks.

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

In a funny way this is evidence that the Colonel should have intervened more often in Presley's choice of repertoire! Had he cared more consistently about music, Elvis might have been spared some of the crap that was to come.

RobCos02330 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

HIS HAND IN MINE (LP)
    (US) RCA LSP / LPM 2328
    Released: November 23, 1960

[​IMG][​IMG]

His Hand in Mine is the fifth studio album (not including Soundtracks and compilations) by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, released on RCA Victor Records in mono and stereo, LPM/LSP 2328, in November 1960. It was the first of three gospel music albums that Presley would issue during his lifetime. Recording sessions took place on October 30 and 31, 1960, at RCA Studio B in Nashville, Tennessee. It peaked at #13 on the Top Pop Albums chart. It was certified Gold on April 9, 1969 and Platinum on March 27, 1992 by the Recording Industry Association of America.[6]

Presley had a lifelong, fundamental love of church music, and often used it to rehearse and loosen up before concerts and at the beginning of recording sessions.[7] Presley had earlier devoted an extended play single, Peace in the Valley, to his love for gospel songs, and was eager to record a full album of this music. This fit well with the plans of Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, to steer his client into a family-friendly image as he switched Presley's career concentration toward movie stardom in Hollywood.[8]

All the selections for His Hand In Mine were completed in one fourteen-hour session. The songs "Surrender" and "Crying in the Chapel" were recorded during the session, but withheld for issue as singles. "Surrender" would be his first single of 1961 and top the chart, but "Crying in the Chapel" would wait until April 1965 to be issued, going to #3 on the chart. The song "In My Father's House" was arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley which was published by Elvis Presley Music.

Presley later re-recorded "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" (not to be confused with the popular "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot") for the soundtrack of his 1969 film, The Trouble with Girls.[9]

In 1976, RCA reissued the album in its lower priced "Pure Gold" series, with new cover art under a new catalogue number, ANL1-1319. This reissue contains the same tracks as the original release.[10] RCA first reissued the original 12 track album on compact disc in 1990, utilizing the revised cover art from the "Pure Gold" series LP reissue.

On March 11, 2008, RCA issued a remastered version of this album on CD, adding as bonus tracks the four songs which had originally appeared on that 1957 EP single Peace in the Valley, its contents later incorporated into Elvis' Christmas Album. The Presley fan-club label Follow That Dream issued an extended two-disc version the same year.

Side one
    1. "His Hand in Mine" Mosie Lister October 30, 1960 3:15
    2. "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs" Cully Holt October 31, 1960 1:50
    3. "In My Father's House" Aileene Hanks (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) October 31, 1960 2:03
    4. "Milky White Way" Landers Coleman (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) October 30, 1960 2:12
    5. "Known Only to Him" Stuart Hamblen October 31, 1960 2:07
    6. "I Believe in the Man in the Sky" Richard Howard October 30, 1960 2:11
    Side two
    1. "Joshua Fit the Battle" Traditional (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) October 31, 1960 2:39
    2. "He Knows Just What I Need" Mosie Lister October 30, 1960 2:12
    3. "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" Traditional (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) October 31, 1960 2:32
    4. "Mansion Over the Hilltop" Ira Stanphill October 31, 1960 2:55
    5. "If We Never Meet Again" Albert E. Brumley October 31, 1960 1:58
    6. "Working on the Building" Winifred O. Hoyle, Lillian Bowles October 31, 1960 1:52

2008 reissue bonus tracks
    13. "(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)" Thomas A. Dorsey January 13, 1957 3:22
    14. "It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)" Stuart Hamblen January 19, 1957 3:53
    15. "I Believe" Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl, Al Stillman January 12, 1957 2:05
    16. "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" Thomas A. Dorsey January 13, 1957 3:16

Disc1
    The album

1. "His Hand in Mine" (Mosie Lister) 3:17
    2. "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs" (Cully Holt) 1:52
    3. "In My Father's House (Are Many Mansions)" 2:06
    4. "Milky White Way" (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) 2:15
    5. "Known Only to Him" (Stuart Hamblen) 2:09
    6. "I Believe in the Man in the Sky" (Richard Howard) 2:14
    7. "Joshua Fit the Battle" (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) 2:40
    8. "He Knows Just What I Need" (Mosie Lister) 2:13
    9. "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley) 2:33
    10. "Mansion over the Hilltop" (Ira Stamphill) 2:57
    11. "If We Never Meet Again" (Albert E. Brumley) 1:59
    12. "Working on the Building" (W.O. Hoyle/Lillian Bowles) 1:54
    The singles
    13. "Surrender" (Doc Pomus/Mort Shuman) 1:55
    14. "Crying in the Chapel" (Artie Glenn) 2:27

First takes
    15. "His Hand in Mine" (take 1) 3:41
    16. "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs" (take 1) 1:59
    17. "Milky White Way" (takes 1*, 2*, 3) 3:05
    18. "Known Only to Him" (takes 1, 2) 2:26
    19. "I Believe in the Man in the Sky" (take 1) 2:27
    20. "Joshua Fit the Battle" (take 1) 2:52
    21. "He Knows Just What I Need" (take 1) 2:02
    22. "Mansion over the Hilltop" (takes 2*, 1) 4:04
    23. "If We Never Meet Again" (take 1) 2:02
    24. "Working on the Building" (take 1) 2:01
    25. "Surrender" (take 1) 2:01
    Disc 2
    Session outtakes

1. "Milky White Way" (takes 4, 6*, 5) 3:27
    2. "His Hand in Mine" (takes 2*, 3*) 2:05
    3. "His Hand in Mine" (takes 4) 3:39
    4. "His Hand in Mine" (take 5) 3:23
    5. "I Believe in the Man in the Sky" (takes 2*, 3*, 4) 4:02
    6. "He Knows Just What I Need" (takes 2*, 3*, 4*) 3:46
    7. "He Knows Just What I Need" (takes 5*, 6, 7) 3:43
    8. "He Knows Just What I Need" (take 8*) 2:20
    9. "Surrender" (take 2) 2:00
    10. "Surrender" (takes 3*, 5, 6) 3:33
    11. "Surrender" (take 7*) 1:46
    12. "Surrender" (takes 8*, 9) 2:38
    13. "Surrender" (WP takes 2/1*, 3*, 4*, 5*, 6*, 7*) 4:32
    14. "In My Father's House (Are Many Mansions)" (takes 1*, 2*, 3*, 4*) 3:07
    15. "In My Father's House (Are Many Mansions)" (takes 5*, 6*) 1:47
    16. "In My Father's House (Are Many Mansions)" (take 7) 2:19
    17. "Joshua Fit the Battle" (take 2) 2:56
    18. "Joshua Fit the Battle" (take 3*) 2:00
    19. "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" (take 1*) 2:48
    20. "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" (takes 2, 3) 2:58
    21. "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs" (takes 2, 3) 2:34
    22. "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs" (take 4*) 2:12
    23. "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs" (take 5) 2:05
    24. "Known Only to Him" (takes 3*, 4*, 5) 3:46
    25. "Crying in the Chapel" (take 1*) 1:35
    26. "Crying in the Chapel" (takes 2, 3-M) 3:16
    27. "Working on the Building" (take 2*) 2:17
    28. "Working on the Building" (takes 3*, 4) 2:26
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Thankfully Elvis Believed in Jesus, so one day I'll get to sing a new song with him, and that will be cool.
    Although I love Elvis and Jesus, I am not the biggest fan of traditional church music. This album sounds pretty good, but to be honest I will be taking this track by track, because I've only listened to it once.
    When I was the music leader at church, in my mid to late forties (yes I was late to the party, and came with a bag full of pub rock history - they didn't know what hit them, just joking, kind of) I certainly played some hymns etc, but often due to who I am would play a swung country blues of How Great Though Art, I would play songs like Prince's The Cross and Ben Harper's I Wanna Be Ready. So a lot of these types of songs aren't really that familiar too me. So bear with me as I go through this album.
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

After seeing the picture in your post #264, I guessed this was coming next!

18. mark winstanley

nice observation sir :)

NumberEight likes this.
  19. I was a bit late to the party on this album too. When I was a kid and getting in to Elvis, the last thing I wanted was to spend my allowance money on a gospel album, vs. say, Golden Records Vol 2. But, many years later, after hearing these tracks on various compilations I finally got the album proper. Great material here, great voice (of course) and perhaps the best-sounding Elvis studio material on record. I'll comment more when we get to the individual tracks but this one is a bit of a sleeper in the Elvis catalog but one I've come to greatly appreciate.

Also interesting that it was released just over 5 weeks past GI Blues!

20. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

This was the first Elvis gospel album that I had as a kid. It was a Christmas present from someone that heard I liked Elvis. Elvis always seemed to really go all out to make his gospel records extra special. Although there are some traditional spirituals on this, I wouldn't say that they were all traditional songs. At least not in 1960. A lot of these were popular Christian songs but growing up in the south in the 1970's, I can say that a lot of these songs didn't appear in church hymnals that I'm aware of until the 1980s or 1990s. Most hymnals that I remember had older "traditional" music in it. I'm thinking that it must take a generation or two before newer popular Christian songs start to find their way into the church services alongside the older songs. They were all new sometime, right? Not based on facts but my observations.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Fair observation mate :)
    I didn't step into a church until about 2004. As for what anyone was playing prior to that I have no idea :)

Dave112 likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

24. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

There's a letter from the legendary engineer Bill Porter to our host Mr. Hoffman at the bottom of this link where he mentions recording the early '60s songs along with this gospel album: Bill Porter, Elvis' sound engineer died | Elvis Articles

Bill Porter: "'Surrender' was the only secular song recorded during the sessions for the gospel album, 'His Hand in Mine' (October 30-31, 1960). The rest of those two days were spent cutting the thirteen gospel songs on the album. This is a session that's particularly vivid in my memory, as I was sick with food poisoning that night. There was nobody to take my place at the console, though, so I thought, 'Well, I can get through this okay ... I have to start feeling better soon'. Wrong! We'd manage to get 15-20 minutes on tape, and my stomach would start playing drums. About 2 am, I told Steve (Sholes), 'Man, I gotta go home. I'm about to die!' And, as usual, he'd say, 'Just one more song, Bill. Only one more song'. With one ear I'd hear Steve saying, 'One more song, Bill', and with the other I'd hear Elvis saying, 'Is he gone again?'
    'Crying in the Chapel' was recorded during the gospel sessions of October 30-31, 1960, and was the next-to-the-last song, done about 5:00 am. It was held back until 1965, when it was released as a single, went to No. 3, and was the first Top 5 chart for Elvis in two years! 'Little Sister' was recorded during the June 25-26, 1961 sessions. Hank Garland, an incredibly diverse and talented musician, was the lead guitar player on this song using his new Fender Jazzmaster. Hank's career was derailed a few months later, though, when he sustained serious injuries in a car accident, and was no longer able to play on sessions. Such a loss."

Worth reading the entire letter.

Elvis sounds absolutely magnificent on His Hand in Mine. Just outstanding vocals.

25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I love this song. Always have. IMO, this is about as good as the stuff he would do in Nashville in'61. It's a fun song, and it fits Elvis' style and personality to a "T".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.