‘NYPD Blue’ sequel with Andy Sipowicz’s son set at ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

A famous Hollywood quote: "I'll never work with that bastard again, until I need him".

2. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

If anything could get me to watch network TV again, this, if done well, could be it.

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Where's the Homicide reboot?

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'll take Frank Pembleton PI

Splungeworthy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:mad:

6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I just watched the original NYPD Blue Pilot on Hulu last night and it held up surprisingly well. Content side, it was helped by now showing in widescreen, the show benefited greatly from not being cropped down to the old TV aspect ratio. And Dennis Franz's performance was superb, what a great actor. What didn't hold up well was the very 80's David Caruso-Amy Brennemen sex scene with butts a plenty, it's gratuitousness was jarring . I recall how controversial this was back when it aired. While I salute them for pushing the envelope of what was acceptable on network TV, in the long run it just seems a bit silly now to have this bit of soft core thrown in.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Info is hard to come by but by all accounts, he was an unbelievably arrogant jerk who intimidated the cast and crew... but the bosses kept him because he was the hot commodity back then and quickly put the show on the map. Personally, I can't see why that would be considering I've always found his acting so wooden and insincere but I guess he was at the right place at the right time. In any case, I can't begrudge him the success he had early on because without it, I doubt NYPD Blue would've lasted long.

In one instance, he threw a garbage can at Dennis Franz because he was unhappy with how a scene was going. After the first season ended, there was no bigger TV star than Caruso who decided to try to cash in on his stardom by making ludicrous salary demands. They were so ridiculous that they were never seriously considered. It's hard for people to remember but it was taking a mighty big risk to let your protagonist character go after a single season. Not sure what the so-called experts predicted back then but I would've predicted a quick and painful death for the show. The switch to Sipowicz was also a gutsy move because (let's face it) Dennis Franz is as far removed from a model or sex-appeal as one can get and yet, he was having the most screen time. Story-wise, it was the absolute best move possible but it sure was ballsy.

One of the funniest things I've ever read (and heard) through many interviews is that he filmed his last scene in one shot where he says goodbye to James (I think it's the last character he interacts with) and strolls out of the station. Well, it was the last scene to be shot with him and since he didn't get along with anybody, he just continued walking to the parking lot and drove away home! Makes me laugh everytime I think about that. What a rockstar move. :D

Being so full of himself, he thought he'd take the opportunity to start a great movie career but his choices and performances were horrid. Took him 8 years before finding his way back into the spotlight with CSI Miami.

I've watched the entire series (again!) a few months ago and would definitely put Dennis Franz on the Mount Rushmore of actors. So much range and intensity, any and all emotions. Granted the character was afforded all of these complex emotional scenes but with any other actor, it would've gone like a led balloon. Always thought he was quite gifted as a comedic actor. Too bad he never tried his hand at a sitcom episode. I remember Patrick Stewart appearing on Frasier once and he was hilarious.

I agree about the nudity but that and the swearing is what generated interest by being perceived as cutting edge at the time. My wife, who had never seen the show before, would roll her eyes because those scenes are rather cheesy, especially when coupled with a saxophone... and they would tend to go on for too long. But they're easy to skip and I find it a small price to pay considering how the rest of the show is so fantastic.

My favorite seasons were the ones with Bobby and Andy being partnered. Amazing chemistry and the two characters were so interesting together. Same with Bobby and Diane (minus the softcore scenes). In real-life, Dennis Franz and Jimmy Smits are great friends who see each other regularly. Without initially knowing this, I believe that friendship can be felt onscreen.

8. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Smits was another one who left in hopes of a big screen career which never took off.

I enjoyed the show, although it was so stagebound and so obviously shot on a backlot set. They would film exteriors in New York City and insert them but the show seemed claustrophobic to me. The older I get, the less tolerant I become of these stagey shows, especially when so many shows shoot on location now. Kojak did the same thing. Compare it to something like Naked City, which shot all over town, and looks so much better.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I saw an interview with Franz where he talked about how he was seriously considering NOT taking the NYPD Blue job because at that point he had played a cop on close to 30 different shows! On Hill St. Blues he played a bad cop who gets killed. He was so popular they basically brought the character back with a different name. Meanwhile, ALL these cops may have had different names, but they ALL were Andy Sipowicz!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

IMHO, that's a very minor thing to be irritated by. It seemed rather plausible to me.

As for where shows are filmed, you are incorrect. Most shows are not shot on location. In most cases, they are filmed in Vancouver and Toronto as it is far cheaper for studios. Moreover, a lot of exterior shots are computer-generated. The advantages are that it's cheaper and faster to create those shots than doing it on location and it also allows for better audio recordings of the dialogue (since wind and other interfering noises aren't part of the recording) as overdubbing the dialogue afterward isn't necessary.

Here's an example with Ugly Betty. Law & Order used it as well. Tons of shows do.

[​IMG]

Here's Grey's Anatomy.

[​IMG]

11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

But Ugly Betty ultimately moved to New York in it's final seasons, and today there are normally around 60 productions filming in the New York area as the state tax incentive is enormous. Add to that New Jersey which just implemented an incentive as well. I'm currently working on a new NBC one hour drama called The Enemy Within here in the Blacklist and Blindspot mode here in the Garden State at the Meadowlands Arena (where I saw the Rolling Stones on their Tattoo You Tour back in the day). We've built the permanent sets right on the arena floor and are utilizing lots of nearby locations.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

That's great. It's just that a lot of shows are filmed on green screens and cleverly done that way which gives the illusion of being shot on location when they're not.

Stillhouse likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Is it possible that the most annoying aspect of NYPD Blue being filmed elsewhere is that they got it SO right!?;)

14. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

The hackneyed concept of cop son investigating cop father's murder means I'll pass on this. That is the best that they can do?

15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I hope they bring back Michael DeLuise as the ghost of Sipowicz's other son. :winkgrin:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What do you expect from a producer son rehashing one of his producer father's past successes rather than creating something original of his own?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Now, there's a program that definitely needs catching up on. Not a reboot, but maybe 2 or 3 episodes centered around where their lives & careers went. I can't be the only one that'd love to see this. 'Course, many are dead now, so that could be problematic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. roblog

roblog “Yeah” (John Wick)

This can’t end well - the show tanked after Jimmy Smits left - I was a fan but they will need great writers to may this work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

is this still a go?

20. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

You never know. Bobby Simone came back after he was dead.

wayne66 likes this.
  21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I would give it a try. Right now I think Bob's Burgers is the only tv show I try to watch weekly.

wayne66 likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

What would garauntee success would be the return of Det. John Kelly!

wayne66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.