Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Naaaanah Naaaanah. Not selling neither! Lols.

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

or $8.50 per disc for us overseas.

3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I haven't decided if I'm going to subscribe next year. This year was a bit lackluster and customs is snatching every package. So it's atleast another $15-20 extra for every delivery and I don't think it's worth the cost.

Next three picks needs to be from 67-70 and 79-85. Way to much mid 70s lately.

Matthew Tate and wavethatflag like this.
  4. libertycaps

[​IMG]
    It's good to be OCD!

GerryO, bubba-ho-tep and Olompali like this.
  5. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Got my subscription order in even though the thought of yet another ‘77 show leaves me a bit cold. I haven’t missed a sub yet and don’t plan on missing one now.

But, jeez, what an expensive Fall this has become.

6. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

The remaining big shows are the ones below:

3-18/19/20-77 (a no brainer mini-box although the brutal cut in the NFA has likely held this back)
    4-23-77
    5-4-77
    5-26-77

Then a few others like 4-22-77, 4-29-77, 5-3-77 and 5-18-77 (although doesn’t this have a slight hum to it?) may make an appearance.

2-27-77 doesn’t exist in the vault except what they using as filler here and 6-4-77 also not in the vault.

Not listing any Fall shows as think of those as basically a separate year in terms of the vibe / tone of those shows.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

27 February 1977 is not in the Vault save for reel #5, which is the filler on Dave's #29.

4 May 1977 is the best show of the month and should have priority over anything else from 1977. Save for the Fall shows which, as @David Beckwith pointed out above, is like a different year due to the Wolf being back on-stage where it belongs.

8. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

I'm in. Love the Dead!

9. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Yah. Agree that 5-4-77 is really up there. In Summer 2001 I traveled to some far away lands for a few months and could only take one small CD case for packing purposes. Had a mix of things in there and a handful of Dead. 5-4-77 was one that made the cut. It's well overdue for a release especially since the first set doesn't circulate in top quality.

And Fall 77 has both the Wolf and Keith on the electric piano instead of the grand piano. That combination completely changes the sound. I also have a feeling they got some new recording equipment or something. The sound of the tapes is much different to my ears - Spring 77 being elegant and grandiose and open. Fall 77 being tight and sharp and direct.

10. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Nope. Mystery Brewing Co.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I’d prefer a Weight with Brent...

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Phew! But, still, sorry your brewer is closing.

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

A local brewer I liked closed a couple of years ago. I had no idea when I first walked in there, but one of the guys was a friend of one of my college roommates, we'd hung around a lot in school. They had some QC issues early on, but they were making good beer by the time I went in. They had moved to a bigger building, and a few months after relaunch they got an offer for the business they couldn't resist.

But it's no big deal really, breweries around here have gotten to be like Dave's Picks from 1977 - miss out on one, there's sure to be another one coming along in a few months, maybe a year at most.

14. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

In again. The setlist is really amazing.

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

If it weren't wildly unfair to non-subscribers, I would be hoping that the 2019 bonus disc would be Seastones>Jam>Eyes>Jam>Wharf Rat from 9/11/74. Maybe 6-23-74 for the main release. Not totally unprecedented given Road Trips 4-3 (Denver + Cleveland bonus).

While I'm hoping for ludicrous things, I might as well hope for the 2019 box to be the '72 shows with unreleased Dark Star>Morning Dew pairings.

16. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Is there anything off or wrong about the tape from 2/26/77? Missing parts of songs or anything?

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

From here: archive.org/details/gd77-02-26.sbd.alphadog.9752.sbeok.shnf

Notes
    REEL PROBLEMS:
    - Sugaree (d1t05) 6:59 - 7:01 there is a funny reel generated boo boo

- PITB (d2t01) 8:42 another reel problem

- Franklin's (d2t09) there is a reel change in there that is one of the better ones we've heard.

ALL of these are in every copy I have heard and are believed to be from the Master Reel.

18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Seastones would have to be edited to fit that sequence on a single disc. Would be a great accompaniment for a ‘74 Europe show as the three disc set.

19. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Subscribed!

2-26-77 is a worthy release, even if some of the versions of the brand new songs sound tentative at times. I personally love it when a tape I've had "forever" gets an official release--it's validation in some weird tape-trading sense.

Personally, I'd like to see more releases from "transitional" periods. I love late '71 and early '72 when Keith was fresh, '79 when Brent was fresh, and even late '90 when Bruce and Vince were fresh. The way the fellas kind of feel each other out while they're still new (and before the monotony of life on the road together sets in) is refreshing.

20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

This Estimated is actually one of my favorites.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

While I'm opposed to cutting any Seastones performances in general, I'd get over it for that single disc.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle and SBegonias17 like this.
  22. libertycaps

The Dave's Pick series is still missing:
    1. An Acoustic Set show
    2. A "Shakedown Street"
    3. A Very Special Guest(s) set/show
    4. A "Crazy Fingers"
    5. A 90's era show
    6. A European show
    7. The Dead with a horn section! (9-11-73, i'm talking to you)

Matthew Tate, mmthmj, adamos and 2 others like this.
  23. subscribed every year since Road Trips days. More Dead is more Dead.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

1981 would be a great choice for an old world show. England has some good sounding ones.
    The German Rockpalats is another fine candidate

25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Also Dave’s Picks is missing:
    8) A “Viola Lee Blues”
    9) A “New Potato Caboose”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.