Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, I got a noticeably different vibe from 2/26/77 than the May/June shows of the same year. Keef's performance is especially psychedelic. Definitely looking forward this one.

Crispy Rob, Coltrane811 and US Blues like this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

73 horn tour would be a good choice for the 4 CD bonus set.

3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yeah.
    It's becoming a problem.

Matthew Tate, bliss44 and KCWhistle like this.
  4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Let’s cover the spectrum. Maybe an ‘86 show with Jerry’s nose on the mic calling it in and Brent singing out of tune.

It’s all part of the journey is t it?

Bloom, bzfgt and Phoenician like this.
  5. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I'm in for the first time. Can't wait for the journey!

6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Not a big fan of '77, but ordered subscription fer sure. Have for all previous times as well.

7. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

I'm in for another year...subscribed as soon as saw the post this am. Thanks!

libertycaps and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

100%. It’s one of the more unique shows they’ve played. Still has some of the laid back 76 vibe and a wild second set song list combined with greater energy, focus and determination to be found in 77.

beatboy1975, Crispy Rob and Quincy like this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I’m an advocate for 9/11/73 (even if we have to audience patch the cut of death) with the best of 9/12/73 as the bonus disc.

10. mmthmj

mmthmj Forum Resident

2018 was my first year to subscribe and I couldn't be more satisfied. Re-subscribed for 2019.

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

I took a hiatus for a couple of years on subscribing because I was trying to cut back on physical media but I’m back in for 2019. I bought most of them this year anyway, might as well take the worry about a sellout out of the equation

12. David Beckwith

The big question is do they have any patch reels in the Vault for the September 73 tour like they did for Summer 73 where they ran both 10 inch and 7 inch reels? I really hope so, but not sure.

I have a feeling dealing with the royalties with the horns might be more than they want to deal with. Branford they already did Without A Net so putting out 3-29-90 in the box wasn't much of a stretch.

If they won't release it because of the horns, but have a patch reel for the cut of death then I would LOVE to see a release of 9-7/8-73 (hopefully patch reels on those cuts) with the ending of 9-11-73 put on as filler.

We can dream, right?! And luckily we have a pretty crispy SBD and a Matrix of William & Mary in the meantime.

13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’m in. I was doing every other year, but I enjoyed 2018 so much that I couldn’t help myself.

14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I've subscribed for several years, but I feel like I have enough GD to last me a lifetime, so I'm gonna pass and then attempt to avoid regretting it.

KCWhistle, Kate_C. and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

This is the dream

Crispy Rob and libertycaps like this.
  16. boagas1883

boagas1883 Forum Resident

I agree with this,the 2nd set is fantastic and available in top notch sound.
    I believe the first set sounds rather different ?
    Would be nice to see this show released definitely

4 May 1977 is the best show of the month and should have priority over anything else from 1977. Save for the Fall shows which, as @David Beckwith pointed out above, is like a different year due to the Wolf being back on-stage where it belongs.[/QUOTE]

17. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

You won't. GDP/Rhino provided advanced notice of the date and time of the last announced installment, so there's no reason to miss rare gems like Jai Alai#2 or anything Summer/Fall 91 with a la carte on speed dial. In the same vein, I've passed on Blood/Trax Redux & White Album 2018 secure in the knowledge that perfect original albums are already collecting enough dust to justify looking forward, rather than back, in an exciting new musical world populated by the likes of Phideaux, the Necromancers, Sarah Shook, GVF, and archival jazz & classical boxes (Szell!) that expand the horizon of aesthetic discovery beyond the 150+ officially released Dead shows (edit: all or part, as available).

The real question for veteran Dead collectors now becomes, "what will the new box sets be?" - but without any real pressure to purchase given the extended window of availability or "music only" followup releases for highly prized stuff like E72 and the NE77 trifecta. 9 years after initiation, I finally feel like I'm 'sitting pretty' (as my papaw would say) w/out any anxiety for potentially missed "new" stuff. But God bless the new arrivals and old school pedantics who ensure a constant stream of releases that will eventually provide the particular shows I'm now looking for. Golden Age, indeed.

Gollum, zakyfarms, trd and 4 others like this.
  18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I can’t imagine the royalties for the horn section would be that much. They didn’t write the songs and some of them are featured on Garcia archival releases. The bump to 20k units may also give them the ability to absorb the for such guests, though we would never get ABB for those numbers, that would need to be a wide release.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. David Beckwith

True and I hear you. I’ve been told from reliable sources that they don’t like to release anything with guests for whatever exact reasons.

And yes anything with ABB and The Band should be its own separate coordinated effort. Hopefully one day!

US Blues and SBegonias17 like this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It has one of the last three first-set closing "Playing in the Band" versions (3/19 and 4/22 were the others). That may be one reason it seems different from the May shows.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The guests issue probably applies to musicians who were or are signed to other labels. I don't know if that is a factor with the 73 horn players.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. David Beckwith

I think there are still a bunch of fun options for future Box Sets such as the ones below:

April ‘69
    Capitol Theatre February ‘71
    February ‘73
    October ‘73
    April ‘78
    Greek Theatre ‘80’s
    October ‘89

Also a bunch of potential smaller mini-box runs such as these:

Fox Theatre ‘72
    Winterland March ‘77
    Alaska '80

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Thanks for the wake-up call. Ordered. :thumbsup:

giantleech, libertycaps and I333I like this.
  24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Alpine ‘89 is a long overdue must, and I’d like a full MSG ‘90 too, but otherwise your list is excellent.

25. David Beckwith

Thanks! Totally agree with what you mentioned. Alpine ‘89 blu-rays would be killer. One of my absolute favorite runs.

I’d have no problem with an MSG ‘90 complete run. For various reasons the sound quality of the 9-16-90 release has never done it for me. Too much space between the instruments and too much Vince twinkling. Not sure what was used for the release (imagine DAT) but perhaps a PCM or Cassette Master would be better.

Safe to say a lot of other things would come out before those though since the guts of each have already been released.

Taylor16 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.