“First Man” (2018)—Neil Armstrong story - from “La La Land” director

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My favorite example of that was in Crazy, Stupid Love. He takes off his shirt and Emma Stone says: "Are you serious? You look like you've been Photoshopped!"

mikeyt likes this.
  2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Umm... there's still a disturbingly large number of people who do doubt we made it!

3. Chris DeVoe

I had a rather nasty epiphany a number of years back when I realized that fully half the population was below the mean intelligence level.

Ringmaster_D, jon9091, mikeyt and 4 others like this.
  4. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

:laughup:

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Saw it in IMAX tonight. All that happened in that decade with Space program is really remarkable too!!

The Revealer likes this.
  6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Finally saw it, yesterday.

Not so much the story about the Apollo missions' race to the moon, but of the crumbling marriage of an emotionally repressed man, haunted by the death of his young daughter - who happens to be the first man who stepped on the moon. (If he wasn't dead) Ingmer Bergman should have directed this.

I thought there was too much film grain (or whatever effect they used to replicate film grain). I 'get' what they were trying to do, but thought that effect was overdone.

BTW, I have always pronounced "Gemini" as gem-in-eye [long i sound on the last syllable]. I noticed in the film Armstrong and another Nasa official pronounce it as gem-in-e [long e sound on the last syllable]. I watched this Nasa film to double-check if I had been mispronouncing it all these years, but in the film it is pronounced with a long 'i' sound. What gives? Did Armstrong have some kind of strange Ohio accent?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

You'll find that through out the various programs and documentaries of the space program, including those done at that time, that both pronunciations appear, but I think gem-in-e is used much more than gem-in-eye. I've always use the "e" version.

Steve Carras likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually shot on real 16mm and 35mm and 65mm film. The early flight test stuff was 16mm, documentary stuff; the NASA scenes, Gemini/Apollo, and home scenes were 35mm; and then when they land on the moon it's 65mm. So I'm pretty certain what you saw was actual film grain and not something done as an effect. I think modern audiences are so conditioned by digital filmmaking, they kind of recoil when they're reminded what actual film negative looks like.

They did finish the film digitally, but I tend to doubt they added more grain as part of that process (done by Natasha Leonett over at eFilm/Hollywood).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I was constantly reminded of the beginning of Pink Floyd's Welcome To the Machine when the soundtrack music came on.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how did this do at the box office?

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Gemin-ee?

No that’s just wrong. I never heard a single news commentator during that entire time call it Gemin-ee. Never heard it called that in my entire life until today.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

For me, Gem-en-eye.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  13. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I enjoyed it..

14. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

As I said, both pronunciations were used. Are you going to tell Wally Schirra and Pete Conrad they're pronouncing it wrong? ;)

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A couple of dumb soldiers? Probably. It's Gemini. As in the astrological twins: Gemini. Not Gemin-ee.

How to pronounce Gemini in English

16. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Which is it?

17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Typical of the poster.

18. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Saw it over the weekend, it felt kinda sterile and one-note.

The space shots, the technical elements of the movie were very well done, but the human aspect of the film was quite... dull?

But very little chemistry and feeling in the film (and Buzz's characterisation just felt off, no redeeming qualities afforded him on the screen, which is a shame).

Also felt the "manufactured" scene on the moon just felt forced.

jjh1959 likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If you are "Space Food Sticks" you are a better man than I.

Tang I liked!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

As long as it was, they left out some critical moments from Armstrong's family, including their house fire in the mid 60s where his family barely made it out alive. That incident was shot for the movie, but didn't make the final cut. (A few frames from the house fire scene were included in the trailer.) I wonder if a longer cut that includes the fire will be made available for the Blu Ray.

Buzz was not a particularly popular astronaut among his colleagues and had few friends in the astronaut corps. Some felt as if he acted superior to others, because he had a PhD (and was the first astronaut to have one). If anything, Aldrin was probably more business-like than his colleagues and perhaps had an ever drier personality than Neil did at that time. Other astronauts expressed a desire not to be paired on a mission with Buzz, so Deke Slayton had a talk with Neil Armstrong before assigning Buzz to his crew. Neil didn't have a problem working with Buzz and accepted him on the mission. For Neil, it wasn't about friendship, it was about flying with an astronaut he thought he could rely on. None of the Apollo 11 crew were really friends of each other, especially in contrast to Apollo 12 where all three astronauts were very close friends.

One thing left out of the movie was Buzz's attempt to be the first astronaut to walk on the lunar surface. He tried to persuade others to agree that he should be first out of the LEM, using arguments that he was nearest to the door and that the commander had too many other things to worry about. But it was felt by most of the astronauts that the commander of the mission should be first out the door, and Armstrong showed no interest in giving up the honor of going out first. Neil clearly knew that the first man out the door was the one that the history books would remember, though he would diplomatically say in later years that he and Buzz landed on the lunar surface at the same time, so it's a shared honor.

For what it's worth, I think the movie's portrayal of Buzz was off-the-mark, but they needed to make one astronaut the symbolic jerk for dramatic purposes, so they settled on Buzz.

Perhaps calling Pete Conrad and Wally Schirra "a couple of dumb soldiers" is your attempt at a joke. But if that provides any hint of how you really feel about the astronauts, I can assure you that you couldn't be further from the truth... even if you were standing on the moon.

jjh1959 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Is there a "colorist community" as such in Hollywood. Do you all get together, talk about the work you've done and criticize each other's clothing choices? "A teal shirt and orange shorts? Are you kidding me!"

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's probably going to lose a little bit of $, total worldwide so far is $75.6 million.

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

That was covered in some detail in an episode of "From The Earth To The Moon". I should get round to watching that again sometime.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks.

i believe that they thought it would do better. they must have spent a ton for marketing, it was all the TV there for a couple of weeks.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, everybody is resentful and petty and jealous of what other people make. Me, I don't give an F, and I do try to socialize a little bit with independent colorists a bit. We do have dinner once or twice a year, and there is a colorist organization that meets up at NAB: CSI, the Colorist Society International.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.